This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarahsmiles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I would really like to get some input if possible. I am worried that transferring twice could really hurt my chances of getting into medical school. I started out at a more expensive in-state school (far away so I have to live on campus) which we thought we could afford. However, due to unfortunate financial problems I will need to spend a semester of year at my local community college because we cannot afford the room and board for my old school and it's too late to transfer into another in-state school that I could commute to. After a year there I will obviously need to transfer back into a four year school. I am so worried that medical schools will think I am indecisive and uncommitted, and also that they will view my taking O Chem at a CC unfavorably. I did really well my first year and I plan to earn a high GPA in the honors program at the CC. I'm still worried though that this could really hurt my chances.

Members don't see this ad.

In the application process I think you have ample space available to explain yourself. For strictly monetary reasons (which you can't always control) I can't imagine any school holding this against you. In addition it sounds like you faced some hardships which is on some med school secondaries so you could also write an essay about that. Either way I wish you the best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
In the application process I think you have ample space available to explain yourself. For strictly monetary reasons (which you can't always control) I can't imagine any school holding this against you. In addition it sounds like you faced some hardships which is on some med school secondaries so you could also write an essay about that. Either way I wish you the best of luck!
Thank you so much for your response. I'm glad that there is room on the application to explain my situation because I certainly wouldn't want to give adcoms the impression that I'm indecisive and cannot commit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I would really like to get some input if possible. I am worried that transferring twice could really hurt my chances of getting into medical school. I started out at a more expensive in-state school (far away so I have to live on campus) which we thought we could afford. However, due to unfortunate financial problems I will need to spend a semester of year at my local community college because we cannot afford the room and board for my old school and it's too late to transfer into another in-state school that I could commute to. After a year there I will obviously need to transfer back into a four year school. I am so worried that medical schools will think I am indecisive and uncommitted, and also that they will view my taking O Chem at a CC unfavorably. I did really well my first year and I plan to earn a high GPA in the honors program at the CC. I'm still worried though that this could really hurt my chances.
To put your situation into perspective, I recall one SDN nontrad applicant had to submit 12 transcripts from various institutions. Personally, I don't think you have anything to worry about, and I would not waste elective essay space on an explanation for submitting three transcripts. If you are asked about it at an interview, your explanation is satisfactory.

Now, an essay focused on the challenge of sudden, unexpected financial reverses and how you coped: that is worth the space.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your response. I'm glad that there is room on the application to explain my situation because I certainly wouldn't want to give adcoms the impression that I'm indecisive and cannot commit.
I also don't think it looks like that. Many people switch schools for various reasons, and yours is better than most. Like others said just focus on getting good grades and crushing the MCAT. Best of luck :).