Transitioning from American high school to a foreign college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Excusemesir

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, i am planning to go to the Philippines for college after i graduate high school (currently a sophomore).

How would i transition to a foreign college? Do they recognize my SAT scores in the Philippines?

Coming back to work in America as a doctor isnt my ultimate goal, as i have considered just practicing there if it is difficult for me with a foreign degree.

Members don't see this ad.

Coming from my personal experience, the most difficult part of going to an international school is the "culture shock." For instance, I came from a very conservative country to an extremely liberated culture. It was very hard to adapt to the new environment because you kind of need to mold yourself to "fit" into the norm. What may seem offensive to your country might just be seen as a joke to others. There's a lot to learn aside from your education.

The only difficulty I see with transitioning to an international school is the language barrier. If the country strictly uses their language for teaching and you're not too familiar with it, then that would be a big problem. I believe, regardless of where and what kind of school you go too, the same amount of work and effort needs to be put in in order to succeed.

Good Luck.