transport

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

richardlo

MD/PhD applicant
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, when you're accepted by a school far from home, do you plan to drive there by yourself (and cram all your stuff into your car) or do you get a company to transport that car for you? Cross-country road trip sounds fun, but I doubt the wisdom of driving all the way from California to the East Coast during winter.

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, when you're accepted by a school far from home, do you plan to drive there by yourself (and cram all your stuff into your car) or do you get a company to transport that car for you? Cross-country road trip sounds fun, but I doubt the wisdom of driving all the way from California to the East Coast during winter.

I've thought about this on more than one occasion (for me, the BIG trip would be from East Tennessee to the West Coast). Most likely, I'll be making the trip in my old Volvo because I don't really plan on taking much more than the basics (clothing, housewares/kitchen stuff, computer, books, and personal effects) and I want to have my brick out there with me (at least in Palo Alto or Seattle; I don't think I'd take it to San Fran) Somebody is definitely going to have to come along for the ride with me, though; I'd go insane if I was on the road that long by myself.

No idea.. the fam will probably drive up with me and help me move in though!

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, the problem associated with a used car (I have an old civic) is whether it can survive the "rocky mountain high". I suspect that you may need to take I-70 and I-80 just like I do. I'm not too worried about the Eastern portion of my trip (as long as I can get into Kansas, I am relatively safe). It's the Nevada - Utah - Colorado part that's the toughest. Few people around to help you if your car breaks down.

I've thought about this on more than one occasion (for me, the BIG trip would be from East Tennessee to the West Coast). Most likely, I'll be making the trip in my old Volvo because I don't really plan on taking much more than the basics (clothing, housewares/kitchen stuff, computer, books, and personal effects) and I want to have my brick out there with me (at least in Palo Alto or Seattle; I don't think I'd take it to San Fran) Somebody is definitely going to have to come along for the ride with me, though; I'd go insane if I was on the road that long by myself.

I want to leave California soon (personal reasons). Plus, all the schools I interviewed at are on the East Coast (except UCSF), so I figure I will be on the East Coast next year as well.

why are you driving in the winter?...

I think some programs offer some money for moving expenses... Or did I make this up?

have never heard of that :laugh:, at least not from the schools I interviewed at. However, I suppose you can get a tax deduction if you count MSTP as your "new job" (work-related move).

I think some programs offer some money for moving expenses... Or did I make this up?

I sold just about everything big of mine before med school, including my truck. I didn't exactly have a lot of valuble stuff, so I've always found it to be easier and cheaper to dump most of it and get whatever I need whenever I got where I was going.

You found it cheaper to buy a car when you got there? I thought it was cheaper to transport my car to the new place...

On a slightly diffferent note (it's about money anyway), do we (MSTP) have to fill out FAFSA? At all the schools I interviewed at no one talked about it.

I sold just about everything big of mine before med school, including my truck. I didn't exactly have a lot of valuble stuff, so I've always found it to be easier and cheaper to dump most of it and get whatever I need whenever I got where I was going.

DO NOT bring your car to San Francisco. You can't find a place to park it. I am currently paying $300 per month just for the parking, not to mention the higher gas price and higher cost of car insurance in San Francisco. I used to pay $500/6 months when I was on the East Coast, and it jumped to $750/6 months in San Francisco.

I once helped my sister move from Boston to Seattle, and it really wasn't that bad, you just have to remember that a full car will be less energy efficient and slower

You found it cheaper to buy a car when you got there? I thought it was cheaper to transport my car to the new place....
Check into both options; I'm sure it depends on where you're going and what kind of condition your previous car is in. :) In my case, it definitely worked out better to sell. In the end, I wound up not getting a new car. It's looking like I won't even need one next year for rotations, so I'm thinking now that I'll just skip buying one until I get to wherever I'm going for residency.

DO NOT bring your car to San Francisco. You can't find a place to park it. I am currently paying $300 per month just for the parking, not to mention the higher gas price and higher cost of car insurance in San Francisco. I used to pay $500/6 months when I was on the East Coast, and it jumped to $750/6 months in San Francisco.

Parking is not that big of a deal. I'm guessing that ~25-30% have cars if not more. There is free parking on the street, a permit from the city is only $60 for the year. I live 2 blocks from Parnassus and parking in the Sunset is very doable. The longest I've ever looked for a spot has been maybe 5 min? You have plenty of free time and having a car to go outside the city is nice. Not to mention that Costco is on the other side of the city.

I live at downtown, that's why ;-)

Parking is not that big of a deal. I'm guessing that ~25-30% have cars if not more. There is free parking on the street, a permit from the city is only $60 for the year. I live 2 blocks from Parnassus and parking in the Sunset is very doable. The longest I've ever looked for a spot has been maybe 5 min? You have plenty of free time and having a car to go outside the city is nice. Not to mention that Costco is on the other side of the city.