MD & DO Traveled past three years, 2012 graduate. Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RCatalyticalChemist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I also posted this in the nontraditional thread as well, so I apologize for the double post.

I was wondering how strong of a candidate I am for medical schools, primarily MD with a few top DO's (MSU, in particular). Also, what schools would I have the best chances of gaining admission? I know I have to re-take the MCAT because of how old my scores are, so I am going to plan for August. Should I apply late in the cycle after the MCAT, or wait until next summer entirely?

I graduated three years ago (2012) from a decent University in California, with a 4.0 sGPA, 3.91 cGPA as Summa Cum Laude. I earned my B.S. in Biochemistry and Physics, and I took the MCAT in 2011, with a score of 38Q. I also worked as a scribe in the ER my sophomore to senior years, conducted research all fours years, and I have a variety of volunteer hours and have shadowed multiple doctors in different specialties, both MD and DO.

Now, my whole life I have worked toward becoming a doctor, but during my senior year, my younger brother died in an auto collision, and I was completely devastated. My plan was to apply to medical schools after graduation, and use my gap year to travel, but because of the incident, I fell into a deep depression for about 6 months. After realizing that life essentially goes on (and that I should have applied to medical schools despite the hardship), I decided to travel on the limited budget I had.

My travel time was intended for only about 6 months, just in time to prepare and submit applications during the summer 2013 cycle, but my family received a large settlement from the incident, and my travel time got longer…and longer…and now, I’m here. I essentially got so caught up with seeing the world, that I left my whole life on hold.

Since my graduation, I haven’t really done anything altruistic. I did participate in two volunteer abroad programs (Costa Rica, March 2013, and New Zealand, May 2014), but other than that, everything that I’ve done has been primarily self-serving.

I would like to apply this upcoming cycle, but I want to know if I would be better off waiting another year to pick up where I left off. My MCAT scores are from 2011, and I will be volunteering in Africa for 3 weeks in August. I was also offered my scribe job back, and have been working as a Research Assistant with an old mentor's Phd student for about a month now. Here’s my statistical breakdown:

High school (2004-2008): 3.8 GPA, 2200 SAT, 500 volunteer hours, Young Physician Program at local Level 1 Center, Summer Biomedical research program, Honors Jazz Band (Guitar/T. Sax), Senior Class VP, and Multiple Varsity Letter holder for 3 years. AAA hockey club all fours years. EMT certification the Summer after graduation.

Freshman year (2008-09): 4.0 GPA, Psychology research Fall/Winter/Spring, 1 poster presentation, Shadowed family practice MD and DO (20 hrs each), Volunteered at Big Brother/Sister Program (100 hours), Chemistry research Spring/Summer, premed club, assistant captain of sports club. Academic Research Associate Program at local hospital in Summer.

Sophomore year (2009-10): 4.0 GPA, Chemistry research Fall/Winter/Spring, 2 poster presentations, 1 publication (Chem), shadowed ER Physician (40 hrs) and Psychiatrist (40 hrs), Volunteered at Psych hospital (no patient contact, mostly bed cleaning/janitorial, 100 hours), hired as ER Scribe Winter (~20 hrs/wk), ARA Program Fall/Winter/Spring, Treasurer of premed club, captain/president of sports club team. Study Abroad at Oxford (England) Summer 2010, 1 publication (Psych).

Junior year (2010-11): 4.0 GPA, Biochemical research Fall/Winter/Spring, 2 poster presentations, shadowed Orthopedic surgeon (40 hrs) and Radiologist (40 hrs), Volunteered at homeless shelter (50 hrs) and local health care drive (100 hrs), ER scribe 20 hrs/wk (promoted to chief scribe Spring 11), TA for Physics Fall/Winter/Summer, President of premed club, took MCAT (38Q), renewed EMT certification.

Senior year (2011-12): 4.0 GPA (Fall), 3.5 GPA (Winter), 2.9 GPA (Spring), Biochemical research Fall/Winter, 1 poster presentation, 1 publication (Biochem), shadowed Cardiologist (40 hrs), ENT Surgeon (20 hrs), Pharmacist at hospital (20 hrs, mid-college crisis), and Plastic surgeon lol (8 hrs), volunteered at nursing home (50 hrs), Chief ER scribe 20 hrs/wk, premed club.

Summary: 3.91 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA, Summa Cum Laude, 38Q MCAT, multiple clubs, multiple leadership positions, 400+ hrs volunteer, multiple doctors shadowed, research in psych/chem/biochem/ER, 6 poster presentations, 3 publications, Chief ER scribe, Physics TA, NREMT, Studied Abroad, Academic Research Associate.

Postgrad (2012-2015): Did absolutely nothing until December (Saw therapist/surfed/guitar gigs for cash). 2013: Traveled across the continental U.S for a few months, then volunteered abroad in Costa Rica March 2013. Traveled in U.S again from mid-April to July, then Canada/Alaska from August to October. Beach Bum in Cali for a few months. 2014 Hawaii for about a month, then Australia from March-April, and New Zealand volunteer in May 2014. Traveled to Europe July-December. 2015 Recently got back from a trip in Japan/China that started in Jan.

Strengths: Academics, Research (currently employed in lab right now), Leadership (possible chief scribe position upcoming, however may let an up-and-comer take the position if offered), Networking (know a decent amount of docs from shadowing/scribing as well as professors from uni), Balance (hobbies outside of school)

Weaknesses: Emotional stability (parents currently going through separation, but I'm never home), Suffered from Depression/Anxiety after loss (I have a firm grasp on it now, considering my long therapeutic period), Late applicant, Old MCAT.

I am working as a Research Assistant for Biochemical Engineering (Started April 2015, 28-40 hrs/wk) and will start scribing within the next month (16-20 hrs/wk).

Should I apply to medical schools this year, despite the old MCAT score and travel plans, or should I wait until next cycle (and retake the New MCAT, sigh)? What schools would I have the highest chances of getting an acceptance? Should I do anything else this next year, besides working and volunteering? Perhaps maybe Post-bacc or Masters?

Also, financials are in check. No debt, and will be living with my parents for the next year (if I can handle it). I have a decent savings, so I can apply to as many schools as needed, and waiting another year or two will not hurt me financially. And no, it will not bother me if I am "missing out on $250k by delaying a year"; not interested in money. Geographical area not a big deal either, but I do prefer large, metropolitan areas (patient population), and I want to venture away from SoCal.

Members don't see this ad.

Well an August MCAT would make your complete app pretty late. It would be well into September by the time you'd be done with secondaries etc. Since it doesn't seem to bother you to wait a year that might be a good idea. By September schools have issued a good amount of II. Oh and high school stuff means nothing so don't include it. It would be good to beef up your ECs to make them current.

My understanding of the MCAT score is that it expires in 3 years. I think you need to retake then apply regardless of how you did on the old exam. The adcom will probably take a look at old exam, but most school policy on MCAT is that it is good for 3 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I've set my sights on an August MCAT. I begin studying on Monday.

As far as EC's go, I am conducting research in a Biochemical Engineering Lab, and start scribing in two weeks I believe.

I also know that it's quite early to construct a list of possible schools, but assuming I score similar to how I did in 2011, what do you think of applying to these schools?

University of Michigan
Boston U
University of Washington
UCSF (And all California Schools)
University of Chicago
Tufts
Harvard
Hopkins
University of Minnesota
University of Nevada, Reno

Not a final list by any means (it was made based on previous knowledge), so I will be doing a lot of research on different schools after the MCAT.

I'd say research some mid tier schools too. It's great to aim high but you want to be accepted. And the whole process is a crap shoot so ...

Do not apply to U WA, as they only accept people from the WWAMI states.
Invest in MSAR Online and aim high.

Yes, I've set my sights on an August MCAT. I begin studying on Monday.

As far as EC's go, I am conducting research in a Biochemical Engineering Lab, and start scribing in two weeks I believe.

I also know that it's quite early to construct a list of possible schools, but assuming I score similar to how I did in 2011, what do you think of applying to these schools?

University of Michigan
Boston U
University of Washington
UCSF (And all California Schools)
University of Chicago
Tufts
Harvard
Hopkins
University of Minnesota
University of Nevada, Reno

Not a final list by any means (it was made based on previous knowledge), so I will be doing a lot of research on different schools after the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user