WAMC Non-trad applicant, graduated undergrad in 2012 cGPA 3.7, sGPA 4.0, Maybe 515 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aksea23

Reaction score
Please help me with my school list. I’m a non-trad applicant, and my stats make me confused as to what schools will actually be looking at, and what is realistic for me.

1. cGPA 3.7, sGPA 4.0, followed by a Masters in Nursing at an ivy league school with a 3.94
  2. No MCAT yet, which I know makes this much harder, but based on practice exams, probably around a 515.
  3. Travel nurse, so permanent residence is in Washington State, currently living in California, and have ties to Alaska.
  4. Caucasian
  5. Small private liberal arts school followed by ivy for grad school
  6. 7000+ clinical hours as registered nurse in the inpatient setting
  7. Two small research projects, around 200 hours total, no publications
  8. Extensive shadowing by way of working with MD’s daily
  9. Non-clinical volunteering ~800 hours: Nursing skills lab, service trips to Ecuador, Mexico and south africa, school supply drive, making and collecting blankets for hospitalized children, kids church/sunday school teacher
  10. Soccer team manager all 4 years of undergrad, student council in grad school, student ambassador, visiting day ambassador, student liaison to the faculty, TA for undergrad anatomy class
  11. 2 undergraduate awards, 1 grad school award, 3 workplace awards
  12. Have also worked in college/professional soccer, as well as for state legislatures in two states (including researching and writing a bill that was passed into law - do you think I could count this as non-medical research?)

School List:
George Washington
USC Keck
Georgetown
U Washington
Brown
Quinnipiac
Albany
Wake Forest
Penn State
Albert Einstein
Vermont
UC Davis
OHSU
Florida State
TCU
UNC
Thomas Jefferson
Drexel
U Miami
U Arizona

Any schools I should consider or schools here that I shouldn't bother with?

Members don't see this ad.

The following schools take few to no OOS students:

Davis
OHSU
Florida State
UNC
Arizona

You should have WSU on your list since you are a WA resident. Other suggestions are dependent on your score.

The following schools take few to no OOS students:

Davis
OHSU
Florida State
UNC
Arizona

You should have WSU on your list since you are a WA resident. Other suggestions are dependent on your score.
Do you think being a UCD legacy while also currently living in California would matter at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, that's not going to move the needle. If you yourself attended, then that might be a different story.
Ok one more question - since I attended an Ivy for my fairly recent MS Nursing (with 3.94 GPA), should I consider applying even though my undergrad GPA doesn’t line up? Or should I just hope it counts for something on apps more within my range? I graduated 10 years ago, with solid upward trend in classes that count toward my cGPA (3.33, 3.5, 3.64, 3.9, post-bacc 4.0)

Ok one more question - since I attended an Ivy for my fairly recent MS Nursing (with 3.94 GPA), should I consider applying even though my undergrad GPA doesn’t line up? Or should I just hope it counts for something on apps more within my range? I graduated 10 years ago, with solid upward trend in classes that count toward my cGPA (3.33, 3.5, 3.64, 3.9, post-bacc 4.0)
Depends on your MCAT score. With a sGPA of 4.0, I don’t see why it should be a problem if you have a corresponding high score.

O
Depends on your MCAT score. With a sGPA of 4.0, I don’t see why it should be a problem if you have a corresponding high score.
ok thank you! Thats super helpful! That gives me a lot to think about!

Reactions: 1 user