Traveling for interviews: does anyone want to bring their mommy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpeedRacer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I do. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

:) I know my mom wants to come...

my mom came with me when i visited undergrad schools as a soon to be high school senior. if you're tight with your mom, its no big deal if she comes, but i think it would be ill advised to let her anywhere near the med school campus come interview day. some people might perceive it as immature.

Members don't see this ad :)
glp said:
my mom came with me when i visited undergrad schools as a soon to be high school senior. if you're tight with your mom, its no big deal if she comes, but i think it would be ill advised to let her anywhere near the med school campus come interview day. some people might perceive it as immature.

hahahhahaha that would be so funny if you took your mom to campus

lol my mom wants to come with me to the east coast.

SeventhSon said:
lol my mom wants to come with me to the east coast.
lol, my sister did too. when she heard i was going to DC (we're from cali), she called in to work and told them she'd be gone for a few days. I told her she didn't need to come, and she's like OH NO I WANNA GO!! So she's coming with me and i'm so happy about that! i'm totally glad she'll be there and hopefully we'll get to go sight seeing after the interview (although i highly doubt it) but maybe she'll get to do smthg fun while im at the interview!

I'm bringing my mom into the interview with me. Trust me, no one can say "no" to my mom. :D

My mom came with me to my first interview. I was quite embarrassed at first but then one of my interviewers told me that he liked when students have such supportive families so I guess it all worked out at in the end.

i think i meant just traveling in general, not actually coming to the interview...

shivalrous said:
bring her after you get accepted. :D
my mom will INSIST after i get accepted. she might even try to move to the same city where i'll be studying.
she's single (widowed) and my youngest sister is probably leaving for college next year. She doesn't want to be left all alone...
She's going to follow one of us. Probably just depends on who gets accepted where.

my mom has come with me to my interview, of course, she waited for me at outside.
i think is good not to travel alone, but it gets expensive that way :(
but i think it is worth it.

SpeedRacer said:
I know I do. :scared:

Definitely! I went to my first interview alone, spent the whole weekend there alone (too nervous to stay w/ student hosts), watched the entire 3rd season of Top Model on UPN, and needless to say, I worked myself into a very depressed mood and the whole experience sucked. My whole family is coming to my next few interviews though :)...not TO the actual interview, but we'll be staying together and I won't sink into depression with mindless hours of TV.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took my dad to one of my interviews just so that he could get alittle insight into the whole process. He has supported me for three years and sacrificed alot of luxeries so that I could succeed ... I think he deserved it. :)

I went to 10 interviews, and my dad travelled with me for 7 of them! :eek: (He didn't go to the actual interview though.) At first I was annoyed cause I though my parents figured I would somehow get lost or screw up, but I think it was just his way of showing interest and that he cared. He's a realy quiet guy, and i don't talk to him much (despite my strong efforts to). Probably ended up costing him a fortune cause I refused to sleep in the same hotel room - he snores so much I knew I wouldn't get any sleep the night before.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a parent coming to interview day with the applicant. I would just be hugely embarassed!

Ok so I've been on only one interview, and let me tell you, like 6 people had a parent with them. I was like '**** I wish my mom was here'. And it wasn't strange or wierd, I think it was smart. So hell yeah carry your mommy...

My mom's traveling w/me to most of my east coast interviews (not actually going to the interviews though). We're really close, so I think it will be good, that way i have someone to explore new cities with. Plus, on the practical side, I'm too young to rent a car without paying extra.

Looks like many applicants come from parents with some serious $$$. This is one of the more entertaining threads.

LincolnMass said:
Looks like many applicants come from parents with some serious $$$. This is one of the more entertaining threads.

Man, seriously...how in the world can you AFFORD to bring your parents to your interviews? Costs so much even if you're travelin alone... :D

Dear God, I would never bring my parents.

Yeah, first my parents are 600 miles away from me. Second, they work. The idea of them coming with me on any of these trips is rediculous. More airfare, hotel vs. student housing, more cost for meals and taxi, plus they're just annoying...

Seems like it is more of the females who are having their moms/parents come along with them....i'm a guy and i absolutely do not want my parents coming with me especially because of the debauchery that I intend on participating in that weekend with my buddies after my friday interview.

This thread is awesome. It would be a little silly for me to bring my mom because I'm married with kids, but still, it would be kinda cool. I think secretly she has always wanted me to be a doctor.

I don't see what the big deal is. My dad plans on going to a few of the further away interviews with me, my mom might if she doesn't have work. It's easier for my dad since he can make his own schedule and do all his delivieries before we would leave, so he's not behind. I think it's good if your parents want to come, shows they care what their kids will be doing. I don't think being seen with your parents makes you less mature or not as adult, it simply means you like having support at a nervous time. And for a lot of the parents, they would probably want to see the school just for peace of mind, they want to be sure their kid doesn't end up in some sort of hell hole.

And think of the positives, they'll probably pay for gas and food! My dad is apparently going to drive me to NJ interviews since it's around where he works, and then his company can pay for gas and tolls.

jonsir said:
Man, seriously...how in the world can you AFFORD to bring your parents to your interviews? Costs so much even if you're travelin alone... :D

That's exactly what I'm thinking!

Maybe MAYBE my mom might come with me to Houston but that's only because there's no hotel (staying with friends) and she can help me drive.

Nothing wrong with parents attending their children's interview for medical school. I think it does reflect how supportive and encouraging a family can be. Many people don't have that kind of support, encouragement and kindness from their parents.

Think about it. These are the same parents who might have attended their children's trip to college. Why should it make a difference for grad school? You can role play with your parents in the hotel room, you could have mom and dad pay for your dinner, you can come running back to the hotel room where they have set up shop and speculate on "How did it go honey?!!?? Do you think you made a good impression?? Do you think bring up the fact that you won the _____ award?"

In fact you could even do the same thing for you first day of residency. Hell, why not even bring your parents to the interview itself?

Leave mom, dad and the family dog at home. Give one excellent reason why your parents need to go on the interview.

As a non-trad I always fret about the high GPAs, MCAT scores, or some other stat that make me wonder. Then I read these kinds of threads and realize it is no wonder why so many people are rejected despite high numbers.

Thanks for the encouragement. I always find in weird places.... :thumbup:

I definitely left the rents at home. One guy brought his dad to the interview day and his dad sat in the room with us during the info session - I thought it was a little strange. I can understand when you are 17 and visiting colleges, but when you have far surpassed the age of majority and have (most likely) been living on your own for 3+ years I think it might look a little clingy.

I did enjoy the chance to have post-interview chats w/ family, though. I say leave the rents at home, or at least at the hotel!

CoffeeFreak said:
Nothing wrong with parents attending their children's interview for medical school. I think it does reflect how supportive and encouraging a family can be. Many people don't have that kind of support, encouragement and kindness from their parents.

Think about it. These are the same parents who might have attended their children's trip to college. Why should it make a difference for grad school? You can role play with your parents in the hotel room, you could have mom and dad pay for your dinner, you can come running back to the hotel room where they have set up shop and speculate on "How did it go honey?!!?? Do you think you made a good impression?? Do you think bring up the fact that you won the _____ award?"

In fact you could even do the same thing for you first day of residency. Hell, why not even bring your parents to the interview itself?

Leave mom, dad and the family dog at home. Give one excellent reason why your parents need to go on the interview.

As a non-trad I always fret about the high GPAs, MCAT scores, or some other stat that make me wonder. Then I read these kinds of threads and realize it is no wonder why so many people are rejected despite high numbers.

Thanks for the encouragement. I always find in weird places.... :thumbup:

Did you know that sarcasm is the lowest form of humor?

Risa said:

Tell that to Jerry Seinfeld & Larry David.

As far as humor goes....I find you application to Harvard brimming with humor.

My grandmother lives outside of the city I'm interviewing first, so she's going to come with me to that one (which is good since I don't have a car, and it doesn't have very good public transportation) The others (if and when I get them), I'll have to go by myself. I wish I could have one of my friends come along 1) for emotional support and 2) to help me with my makeup....

Definitly plan on bringing my sister along for reason #2. I'm horrible at doing my own makeup. My sister is awesome, and has more makeup than Sephora. Any interview thats in NY/NJ, I am definitly solicitating her expertise. Any further away interviews, I will try my hardest to drag her along to the hotel.

Risa said:

don't worry i'm a non-trad and we're not all this bitter

Sometimes I would have benefited if my mom was with me, but I thought "i'm a big boy, I've been away at college for 4 years, why should I bring a parent?" I was surprised so many people did. It just would have been impractical for them to have to take time off from work when i could basically do it alone. Sometimes I visited friends in the city i was visiting so what would they have done if they wer ein the hotel room then, especially if it was one of them alone. Howeve rthe two interviews I went on when I was burning with fever and could hardly move I would have loved my "mommy" to take care of me.

I just wish my mom would come visit me now that I've moved to Alabama. :( Or anyone in my family for that matter...

I don't see anything wrong with bringing your parents, as long as you don't mean literally to the interview. Make it a little family vacation... :p

CoffeeFreak said:
As far as humor goes....I find you application to Harvard brimming with humor.

Ooh below the belt. Always a good choice. You're very clever. :cool:

(Look ma, I can be sarcastic too)

LincolnMass said:
No kidding. My parents haven't had to give up anything for me during all of this college/application process - cuz I didn't get anything! :p

I have to say... I'm a non-trad (with kids, even). I live about 2000 miles from my parents and siblings, so we seldom see each other. I had two interviews near them - one three hours from my brother, the other about 6 hours from my parents. I flew into the airport near my brother - he picked me up, had a free place for me to sleep, drove me 3 hours to my interview (through nasty traffic!), paid for my meals, and we had a great time. He dropped me off at my interview building and then he went to the library to do some work on the internet while I was busy interviewing. It was wonderful.

My parents, bless them, drove 6 hours to pick me up at the airport, paid for a fabulous bed & breakfast place to stay, drove me everywhere I needed to go, paid for all my meals (and let me tell you, they like to eat at REALLY nice places - $60 each for dinner was not out of line), and dropped me off at the airport when I was done. For the interview, they dropped me off at the building, and then they left and drove around the town to "check it out" for me. They even checked out real estate prices and places to live. They were waiting outside when I was through.

I loved having my family with me - they made everything MUCH easier for me, not to mention cheaper. And they knew where they were going, driving-wise. It was also a great excuse to see them more than once every two or three years. However, having them IN the interview or waiting room? That would be way too weird I think.

I'm not taking anyone with me when I interview at schools near my hometown, but for the schools that are farther away I'm SO making my dad go with me. I'm the worst with directions and I have this fear of missing an interview just because I got lost. :D

ShyRem said:
I have to say... I'm a non-trad (with kids, even). I live about 2000 miles from my parents and siblings, so we seldom see each other. I had two interviews near them - one three hours from my brother, the other about 6 hours from my parents. I flew into the airport near my brother - he picked me up, had a free place for me to sleep, drove me 3 hours to my interview (through nasty traffic!), paid for my meals, and we had a great time. He dropped me off at my interview building and then he went to the library to do some work on the internet while I was busy interviewing. It was wonderful.

My parents, bless them, drove 6 hours to pick me up at the airport, paid for a fabulous bed & breakfast place to stay, drove me everywhere I needed to go, paid for all my meals (and let me tell you, they like to eat at REALLY nice places - $60 each for dinner was not out of line), and dropped me off at the airport when I was done. For the interview, they dropped me off at the building, and then they left and drove around the town to "check it out" for me. They even checked out real estate prices and places to live. They were waiting outside when I was through.

I loved having my family with me - they made everything MUCH easier for me, not to mention cheaper. And they knew where they were going, driving-wise. It was also a great excuse to see them more than once every two or three years. However, having them IN the interview or waiting room? That would be way too weird I think.

what a wonderful family; glad they were there with you and I'm sure they loved helping you out. God bless.