Traveling overseas and FMLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dxb8307

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work in retail and currently get 3 weeks of vacation. At the end of this year, my parents will be moving back to our country of origin and I am contemplating how to go about asking my boss to take extended (even unpaid) time off once my parents move. I usually have to ask permission from my boss to have 2 weeks back to back. I did it twice in 8 years and 2 weeks is not enough when traveling oversees. Any immigrant pharmacists here that travel back to their homeland on a regular basis? Would FMLA be an option?

Members don't see this ad.

I work in retail and currently get 3 weeks of vacation. At the end of this year, my parents will be moving back to our country of origin and I am contemplating how to go about asking my boss to take extended (even unpaid) time off once my parents move. I usually have to ask permission from my boss to have 2 weeks back to back. I did it twice in 8 years and 2 weeks is not enough when traveling oversees. Any immigrant pharmacists here that travel back to their homeland on a regular basis? Would FMLA be an option?

Everyone should apply for FMLA. It pretty much takes the attendance requirement away from your job. (I'm assuming you work for a chain in a largish city. An independent or anywhere with fewer than 50 employees within a 75 mile radius doesn't have to follow the FMLA rules.)

Alternatively, your job sucks. Tell your boss you need to go for x number of weeks. If your request is denied, quit. Your job, or a better one, will be there when you get back.

FMLA only covers for medical care (you or a family member have a medical condition that requires you to take care of them) - so that would only cover you if HR approves the fact you need to take care of your parents - your situation might be pushing it to say the least, that being said, some HR departments are going to see each situation very differently.

Ah yes, fellow international pharmacist
I’ve been able to take 2 weeks off, but the trick is asking in advance and choosing time of the year that is not popular
Taking FMLA is possible, but I believe you are required to provide an English translated medical note to your employer (assuming your employer asks for one), but I’m not a lawyer so don’t quote me on that one