Trial Lens Sets

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hersnape

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just trying to get any ideas or a general consensus on everyone's opinions regarding the mandatory trial lens set purchases we have to make. We have a choice between Pacific, Pioneer, and S&L with the option of choosing either minus cyl or the complete set that includes plus cyl as well, but I've heard that plus cyl really isn't used...

So any comments or suggestions would be helpful (especially if anyone has experienced any problems with any of them!), thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

At Nova we all buy a large rolling case full of equipment during orientation week which includes a lens kit. It's from Pioneer and has plus and minus spheres and plus and minus cyls. The benefit to having the plus cyls in the kit is twofold. We used them already with schematic eyes to simulate cylinder, and also we "induced cylinder" on each other by taping them behind the phoropter while practice retinoscopy on human eyes to get more practice with cylinder (not a lot of people in my lab had more than 1.00 D of cyl) the other benefit of this is that this kit is made extremely well and will last your whole career if you take care of it. If you work in an OD/MD practice, you may find situations where plus cyl is helpful.

Buy the cheapest one you can - you will use it in school but most likely when you graduate, you will use whatever is available where you work. Unless you plan on opening your own practice from scratch you won't need a fancy set.

You might also want to consider transportation. Depending on which school you are at you may or may not need to lug it around from clinic to clinic. They can get kind of heavy and unwieldy when you are carrying all your equipment, computer, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the helpful replies from the both of you!

Yes I agree to go with the cheapest one and I did hear that plus cyl would have the most use at an MD/OD setting type. Thank you!

I would say lenses are only safe after consulting your eye doctor. So that your eyes are fine thereafter. Don't hurry, ask your query at nearest eye care center in your area.

I have a Pioneer Premier Rolling Case Trial Lens set with everything, for sale. I have no clue on where to even try to sell it. I bought it for my husband when he was going to start optometry school but he was deployed back to Afghanistan last minute. It has not been used. Please if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do so I can see it go to someone who maybe can't afford to buy the expensive one online and would be able to use this one that I have. Thank you.

I also have a Pioneer Premier Rolling Case Trial Lens set with everything for Sale. These are equipments that 1st year optometry students purchase from IAUPR school of optometry. It was used just once, but it is in perfectly brand new condition! I have every item that belongs in the Trial lens case set. Please let me know if anyone is interested, or any suggestions also for me on what I can do with it.

I also have a Pioneer Premier Rolling Case Trial Lens set with everything for Sale. These are equipments that 1st year optometry students purchase from IAUPR school of optometry. It was used just once, but it is in perfectly brand new condition! I have every item that belongs in the Trial lens case set. Please let me know if anyone is interested, or any suggestions also for me on what I can do with it.
Hello I am interested. Can you please email me at [email protected]. I need one for UAB Optometry.

R B