Troubled programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beamseyeview

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read numerous times on this board and heard from many PDs that there are probably 60-70 programs in the country where a resident can get great clinical training and that it all comes down to an individual's "fit" with a program.

This may be a controversial question, and I haven't heard it discussed here, but I think it may be useful come rank list season:

What programs should I be worried about going to (malignant, low volume, ACGME rumblings, etc.)? In other words, what are the 10-20 programs that everyone is lukewarm about, and most importantly, *why*?

Members don't see this ad.

I've read numerous times on this board and heard from many PDs that there are probably 60-70 programs in the country where a resident can get great clinical training and that it all comes down to an individual's "fit" with a program.

This may be a controversial question, and I haven't heard it discussed here, but I think it may be useful come rank list season:

What programs should I be worried about going to (malignant, low volume, ACGME rumblings, etc.)? In other words, what are the 10-20 programs that everyone is lukewarm about, and most importantly, *why*?

This has been asked before, and unfortunately you won't get any answers. Generally people cite the size of the field, and the risk of their identity being discovered for reasons.

Honestly, I think it is a mute point anyway since you won't get interviewed at every program. So there are 80ish programs, if you apply to all 80, you'll be lucky to get 20-30 invites. Then you'll be lucky if you can attend 15ish of those invites. So, the real question is, "Of the 10-15 places I interviewed, which ones should I be worried about?" Of course by that point you will have interviewed there and you'll know yourself without having to ask!

Essentially you might as well apply broadly, and then you can figure out on the back end if you're worried about any of the programs that you specifically interviewed at.

People won't tell you about it directly due to the size of the field. Look into the programs that tend to be on probation. People's criteria is also different. Some may say to be careful with new programs. However, there's some "new programs" that have a lot of potential. I think the interviews are probably your best bet. Are the resident's happy? what was your impression of the faculty, what are their long term plans? What about your "gut feeling"? ask about job placement and future changes coming to the program during your interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)

The ACGME does maintain a website where you can look up accreditation status of each program (as well as history). Worth a shot if you haven't already investigated that route.

Last year on the interview trail, I had heard rumors that a midwestern program had a reputation of being, well, not strong.

I wasn't in a position to be turning down interviews, so I went and had a great day. Everyone was fantastic. The residents were enthusiastic, and the faculty were warm and welcoming. When asked if I had any questions, I mentioned to my interviewer that I had heard rumors of past difficulties within the program, and asked for her take on the situation. She responded with an eloquent, thoughtful and thorough answer, allaying my concerns about the program. Things had changed, and objective data (board pass rates, for example) were published by the program to support this statement.

My advice to applicants: take rumors of poor/malignant programs with a grain of salt. Chairmen/women change. Teaching faculty come and go. Residents graduate. Despite these facts, poor reputations have a way of lingering. Any program worth attending should be happy to address your concerns.

Best of luck!