Trying to pick classes to demostrate I can be a strong candidate...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

warmhearted12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Basically I am a returning student who majored in pre-veterinary and took a couple years off from school. I'm currently working in a vet hospital as a surgery tech, and I really don't want to give up on myself at all. Like so many, I didn't take my undergrad serious enough and definitely don't have a perfect transcript. I've mainly gotten B's, with some A's. In particular I do have a few C's (First chem, second chem, first bio, first orgo, and genetics).

I talked to one of the advisors at my old university, and he suggested taking some grad level science courses and aceing them to prove myself over retaking my C's. What do you guys think?

I have several courses to choose from for this semester at Harvard Extension School. There's Epigenetics, Neurobiology, Graduate Research Methods and Scholarly writing, Drug Discovery Project Design and Management, Leadership Communications (public speaking course, my transcript is lacking it).

I will highly appreciate any advice at all. I'm so lost about which two to choose!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!

Basically I am a returning student who majored in pre-veterinary and took a couple years off from school. I'm currently working in a vet hospital as a surgery tech, and I really don't want to give up on myself at all. Like so many, I didn't take my undergrad serious enough and definitely don't have a perfect transcript. I've mainly gotten B's, with some A's. In particular I do have a few C's (First chem, second chem, first bio, first orgo, and genetics).

I talked to one of the advisors at my old university, and he suggested taking some grad level science courses and aceing them to prove myself over retaking my C's. What do you guys think?

I have several courses to choose from for this semester at Harvard Extension School. There's Epigenetics, Neurobiology, Graduate Research Methods and Scholarly writing, Drug Discovery Project Design and Management, Leadership Communications (public speaking course, my transcript is lacking it).

I will highly appreciate any advice at all. I'm so lost about which two to choose!

I think that it depends on where you want to apply. If you apply to a school that places a premium on your pre-req GPA ..... then spending all that money to take grad level science classes won't matter. If you apply to a school that places a premium on your recent grades ..... then maybe it's worth it. It kinda depends on what your actual grades/GPA are. But regardless, you need to think about where you want to apply, dig into how they evaluate candidates, and then start working from there. Alternatively, do an objective evaluation of yourself as a candidate and then look for schools that value your particular strengths.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that it depends on where you want to apply. If you apply to a school that places a premium on your pre-req GPA ..... then spending all that money to take grad level science classes won't matter. If you apply to a school that places a premium on your recent grades ..... then maybe it's worth it. It kinda depends on what your actual grades/GPA are. But regardless, you need to think about where you want to apply, dig into how they evaluate candidates, and then start working from there. Alternatively, do an objective evaluation of yourself as a candidate and then look for schools that value your particular strengths.
You can even call up the admissions people directly and ask what they would recommend. Depending on the school, they may give you a very honest answer.