TUFTS or PENN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sauce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be one of the many to create a post like this but how would you guys compare the two schools. (I realize there is a price difference but not really enough or one to sway me one way or another). Also how do their reputations compare. (I am a west coast guy and I realize they are quality institutions but many out hear don't really know much about either)

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to be one of the many to create a post like this but how would you guys compare the two schools. (I realize there is a price difference but not really enough or one to sway me one way or another). Also how do their reputations compare. (I am a west coast guy and I realize they are quality institutions but many out hear don't really know much about either)

I loved the college feel to Penn. It's one of few schools where i received such a feeling and, honestly, will weigh heavily on my decision considering I will be somewhere for 4 years. Tufts does a good job of convincing you to go there during the interview with their strengths, but like I said, the feeling at both schools was 100% different for me.

Both are really expensive. If you get the $100K Dean's Scholarship, go to Penn.

Also, both schools have huge class sizes, but on average Penn sends a lot more people into specialties.

If you're not looking to specialize and didn't get the Dean's Scholarship, all factors considered, I'd say go to Tufts.

Members don't see this ad :)
funny, i have the same dilemma, also being from the west coast.

Not sure what really to say to this.. I got into both and chose Tufts... better city, better facilities, nicer people, more relaxed atmosphere.

go with penn if you're looking for reputation.

Toss up, if it were me I would think about my long term goals and which city I would like better. If you want to buckle down and study hard than the city doesn't really matter, since they're pretty cold towns...

Also I am planning on specializing in OMFS. In all of your opinions which one will give me the best chance of doing so?

if you seriously have to ask this question, you shouldn't even go to dental school. Personally, I would choose Penn because Boston is frickin' cold in the winter, you absolutely need a car in Medford (it's not even Boston), there's a strip joint on Penn's campus (Yee-haw!) and an arcade across the Dental School (cha-ching!), also all of the fine arts students bartending at the local pubs practically cry out for your sperm donation. Need I say more?

To the above poster

Tufts is not in Medford. it is in the middle of chinatown, which is more or less - Boston.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you seriously have to ask this question, you shouldn't even go to dental school. Personally, I would choose Penn because Boston is frickin' cold in the winter, you absolutely need a car in Medford (it's not even Boston), there's a strip joint on Penn's campus (Yee-haw!) and an arcade across the Dental School (cha-ching!), also all of the fine arts students bartending at the local pubs practically cry out for your sperm donation. Need I say more?

i thought we were talking about Tufts Dental

To the above poster

Tufts is not in Medford. it is in the middle of chinatown, which is more or less - Boston.

well, I obviously didn't get an interview there, but knowing that it's in chinatown is promising, but still doesn't change my mind. The fact that it is removed from the undergrad, however, makes Penn an even BETTER choice. The undergrads will look to you like the mayans looked to the conquistadors, know what I mean? They like worship you man! All I'm saying is if the dental ladies don't float your boat (or you don't float theirs), you have an ocean of opportunititties.

well, I obviously didn't get an interview there, but knowing that it's in chinatown is promising, but still doesn't change my mind. The fact that it is removed from the undergrad, however, makes Penn an even BETTER choice. The undergrads will look to you like the mayans looked to the conquistadors, know what I mean? They like worship you man! All I'm saying is if the dental ladies don't float your boat (or you don't float theirs), you have an ocean of opportunititties.

Dude are you planning to go to dental school to become a professional or to party? Not trying to call you out or anything but you have had several posts in the last week that make me wonder. Just saying.:confused:

P.S. Don't worry about telling me how uptight I am because I am not. I just happen to take school and people's health seriously.

Dude are you planning to go to dental school to become a professional or to party? Not trying to call you out or anything but you have had several posts in the last week that make me wonder. Just saying.:confused:

P.S. Don't worry about telling me how uptight I am because I am not. I just happen to take school and people's health seriously.

I agree with you. Partying isn't for everyone. All I'm saying is that some people can multitask well, and some people can't talk and chew gum at the same time, that's all I'm saying. And I like to choose my dentists and doctors based on their ability to multitask, that's all I'm saying.

Oh no, you're not uptight . . . you just have a very very small butthole.

you gotta be kidding me right? cuz health professional don't like to have fun.... right

Hello, this is a candidate from this year's cycle and I have the same dilemma - Penn or Tufts. I was accepted to both schools and the deposit deadlines for the schools are coming up and I desperately need help. I read the responses to Sauce's original post, but I would like more current input. I would really appreciate people's candid and helpful answers, as this is a huge decision and I don't want to have regrets in the future. I tried to create my own pros and cons list for each school, but it only made it more confusing. The list is below. I would appreciate any advice!

Penn Pros:
- Higher specialization rate
- Smaller class size (125)
- IVY league
- New renovations (not sure if renovations will be available for the entering class)
- Two good friends are attending the school
- New city (I currently live in Boston)

Penn Cons:
- Expensive ($365,596 minus living expenses*)
- Philadelphia is known to be higher in crime rate/less safe than Boston
- Philadelphia also doesn't seem as fun of a city as Boston

Tufts Pros:
- Amazing facility
- Slightly less expensive ($333,530 minus living expenses)
- In Boston where I have a larger support system and a dentist who could be a mentor

Tufts Cons:
- Larger class size (200+)
- Lower specialization rate

*My living expenses would be the same in Boston and Philadelphia due to special circumstances, so the normally higher cost of living in Boston would not be a factor.

Could people comment about the quality of education/professors, curriculum, quality of life, etc. in each of these schools?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Hello, this is a candidate from this year's cycle and I have the same dilemma - Penn or Tufts. I was accepted to both schools and the deposit deadlines for the schools are coming up and I desperately need help. I read the responses to Sauce's original post, but I would like more current input. I would really appreciate people's candid and helpful answers, as this is a huge decision and I don't want to have regrets in the future. I tried to create my own pros and cons list for each school, but it only made it more confusing. The list is below. I would appreciate any advice!

Penn Pros:
- IVY league
- New renovations (not sure if renovations will be available for the entering class)

Penn Cons:

Tufts Pros:
- Amazing facility
- In Boston where I have a larger support system and a dentist who could be a mentor

Tufts Cons:

*My living expenses would be the same in Boston and Philadelphia due to special circumstances, so the normally higher cost of living in Boston would not be a factor.

Could people comment about the quality of education/professors, curriculum, quality of life, etc. in each of these schools?

Personally, I would go to Tufts because of its great facilities and your larger support system.
I think both schools are great but the most important thing after you graduate from dental school is the connection.
If you would love to practice in Boston, I would say grab that connection and stay in Boston.
Btw what was your stats?

Reactions: 1 user

Penn Pros:
- IVY league

Penn Cons:

Tufts Pros:
- Amazing facility

Tufts Cons:

I would choose Tufts too. You seem to be leaning towards the Boston area more and having a strong support system is vital. I don't know much about Tufts, so you should probably also consider why it has lower specialization rates. Sometimes the reputation is self-propagating: a school known for specializing ends up leading to more students that want to specialize going there. Unless Tufts has crazy clinical reqs that make it difficult for you to find time to do externships, etc I don't see why you can't plan to specialize post-grad. Also, why is being an Ivy League a pro. That doesn't carry any weight in terms of your overall dental education unless you just want to say you go to an Ivy League school.

Penn obviously.

Who chooses tufts over an Ivy? That's crazy

Penn obviously.

Who chooses tufts over an Ivy? That's crazy

I chose Tufts over Penn, and they were approximately the same cost. I don't intend on specializing, I like Boston more, and I don't like being in a competitive environment. I also don't care about the Ivy name.

Reactions: 1 users

Penn Pros:
- IVY league

Penn Cons:

Tufts Pros:
- Amazing facility

Tufts Cons:

My brother is a D4 at Tufts and would've loved to go to Penn, had he gotten accepted. It honestly depends on you, but here are my thoughts. I think I would have to disagree about Philly being less fun then Boston. Philly is 1-2 hours from NYC and can be a fun destination for 3 day weekends, whereas Boston can get pretty boring and the cost of living is so expensive (food, bars, etc.). Philly has a lot of restaurants that are underrated but deemed one of the best places if you're a foodie or just want to try different cuisines. After spending last summer in Boston, I found myself getting pretty bored and also heard police sirens every night (I lived by BU's undergrad) so I think it all depends on what part of Boston / what part of Philly we're talking about. At Penn, you'd be in University City most of the time and being around 12 other Penn affiliated schools is a great atmosphere/learning environment that to me, mirrors that of Boston.

The curriculum at Penn is a lot better than Tufts, so I've heard, and they've made some changes within the last year or two and have actually lowered the amount of tests per week (marginally, but still every test counts). The renovations are supposed to be ready for class of 2020 (our class) and that was a former problem that many people had with Penn, so that's one less thing to worry about now. If you know you want to specialize, or are even considering/leaning that direction, Penn will raise your chances immensely. Tufts ranks and especially in a class of 200+ (they're looking to increase the class size even more, they're planning on becoming more and more like NYU) it might be easy to be drowned out/out-competed.

You also have two good friends attending Penn and a possible mentor at Tufts -- but who is to say you won't find a mentor at Penn? Hope that helps :)

Reactions: 1 users
Personally, I would go to Tufts because of its great facilities and your larger support system.
I think both schools are great but the most important thing after you graduate from dental school is the connection.
If you would love to practice in Boston, I would say grab that connection and stay in Boston.
Btw what was your stats?
Thanks for your input.

GPA: 3.8 DAT: 20AA 24PAT

My brother is a D4 at Tufts and would've loved to go to Penn, had he gotten accepted. It honestly depends on you, but here are my thoughts. I think I would have to disagree about Philly being less fun then Boston. Philly is 1-2 hours from NYC and can be a fun destination for 3 day weekends, whereas Boston can get pretty boring and the cost of living is so expensive (food, bars, etc.). Philly has a lot of restaurants that are underrated but deemed one of the best places if you're a foodie or just want to try different cuisines. After spending last summer in Boston, I found myself getting pretty bored and also heard police sirens every night (I lived by BU's undergrad) so I think it all depends on what part of Boston / what part of Philly we're talking about. At Penn, you'd be in University City most of the time and being around 12 other Penn affiliated schools is a great atmosphere/learning environment that to me, mirrors that of Boston.

The curriculum at Penn is a lot better than Tufts, so I've heard, and they've made some changes within the last year or two and have actually lowered the amount of tests per week (marginally, but still every test counts). The renovations are supposed to be ready for class of 2020 (our class) and that was a former problem that many people had with Penn, so that's one less thing to worry about now. If you know you want to specialize, or are even considering/leaning that direction, Penn will raise your chances immensely. Tufts ranks and especially in a class of 200+ (they're looking to increase the class size even more, they're planning on becoming more and more like NYU) it might be easy to be drowned out/out-competed.

You also have two good friends attending Penn and a possible mentor at Tufts -- but who is to say you won't find a mentor at Penn? Hope that helps :)

Bummed you had such a bad time in bean town.

Lived there for two years and I loved every second. But to each their own :)

Tufts ranks and especially in a class of 200+ (they're looking to increase the class size even more, they're planning on becoming more and more like NYU) it might be easy to be drowned out/out-competed.

Just curious- what is your source on the increase in class size at Tufts (beyond the 200 that they currently have as a consequence of vertical expansion)?