Turning down a DO acceptance... impact on prospective cycles ahead?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PrinceElvis97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know that generally for MD schools, turning down an acceptance for no reason typically is the end all for MD admissions. I just wanted to know what the consensus is for DO schools.

- Say I get into a few DO schools this cycle, but no MD; however, I want to give MD another go next cycle with the belief that if next cycle it doesn't work out then I will go the DO route.
- Will this be okay or will i be blacklisted at every single Do school ((including the ones who maybe didn't accept me or didn't give me an interview)

I have nothing against DO, but my initial plan was to put my best foot forward for both MD/DO. Unfortunately my MCAT kept getting cancelled this year and I am at the tail end of the cycle. Even thought this is okay for Do, I feel I am messing up my chances for MD.

Normally if I got rejected from all MD schools applying on time and giving my best shot and only had a DO acceptance, I would gladly take it!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you want to go MD bad enough that you would turn down DO acceptances to give it another shot, why not only apply MD this cycle, then apply MD and DO next year (if necessary)? Seems like a lot of money to waste if you’re already thinking about trying a second cycle for the chance to go MD.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to go MD bad enough that you would turn down DO acceptances to give it another shot, why not only apply MD this cycle, then apply MD and DO next year (if necessary)? Seems like a lot of money to waste if you’re already thinking about trying a second cycle for the chance to go MD.
I wasn't thinking properly honestly. My mcat kept getting delayed and so I am at a point where I am quite late in the cycle. My exam is in septmeber. I already submitted dot 8 DO schools, and submitted secondaries too.

I just feel that I am wasting my chance at MD schools because I am not applying early and am not putting my best foot forward.

I am worried if Do is my only option ( I know far from a guarantee and I don't want to take anything for granted) and I get no MD acceptance what do i do :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Turn it down, someone who truly wants to become a doctor will gladly take the spot you give up. You are also assuming that your MCAT will be competitive for MD but haven’t taken it yet and are delaying the salary of a doctor because you don’t like the 2 letters behind your name that are nigh the same in practice.

Get a score before even wasting time on this imo.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

I know that generally for MD schools, turning down an acceptance for no reason typically is the end all for MD admissions. I just wanted to know what the consensus is for DO schools.

- Say I get into a few DO schools this cycle, but no MD; however, I want to give MD another go next cycle with the belief that if next cycle it doesn't work out then I will go the DO route.
- Will this be okay or will i be blacklisted at every single Do school ((including the ones who maybe didn't accept me or didn't give me an interview)

I have nothing against DO, but my initial plan was to put my best foot forward for both MD/DO. Unfortunately my MCAT kept getting cancelled this year and I am at the tail end of the cycle. Even thought this is okay for Do, I feel I am messing up my chances for MD.

Normally if I got rejected from all MD schools applying on time and giving my best shot and only had a DO acceptance, I would gladly take it!
Thanks
As the DO schools don't talk to each other nor to MD), you'll be fine, unless a secondary asks you if you've been accepted to a medical school.

I wasn't thinking properly honestly. My mcat kept getting delayed and so I am at a point where I am quite late in the cycle. My exam is in septmeber. I already submitted dot 8 DO schools, and submitted secondaries too.

I just feel that I am wasting my chance at MD schools because I am not applying early and am not putting my best foot forward.

I am worried if Do is my only option ( I know far from a guarantee and I don't want to take anything for granted) and I get no MD acceptance what do i do :(
But you had a 514 MCAT score. Why are you retaking??

Did you get any IIs other than the school that accepted you? If not, that's not a good sign. Do you have any IAs?

But you had a 514 MCAT score. Why are you retaking??

Did you get any IIs other than the school that accepted you? If not, that's not a good sign. Do you have any IAs?
Hey Goro, so that was the previous cycle. I was just asking this question for this upcoming cycle if I apply and I end up in this scenario.

I don't have any IA however my psych was a 124, so it was pretty god awful haha.

My previous cycle which you are referring to, in which I only got one interview from U. MICHIGAN (on the other post) I only did MD and didn't do DO.

Given the reasoning in your OP, I cannot recommend that you apply to DO schools. You don't want to be a deal, so save the seat for somebody else.

Yes I understand you've submitted applications but just don't bother with the secondaries and ignore any interviews.

You've already posted that you've turned to acceptances down, so don't waste our time. Unless you were lying in those posts? My trolldar is starting to tingle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey Goro, so that was the previous cycle. I was just asking this question for this upcoming cycle if I apply and I end up in this scenario.

I don't have any IA however my psych was a 124, so it was pretty god awful haha.

My previous cycle which you are referring to, in which I only got one interview from U. MICHIGAN (on the other post) I only did MD and didn't do DO.

How did you get off the waitlist for VCOM last month without having applied DO? That's some magic.

Given the reasoning in your OP, I cannot recommend that you apply to DO schools. You don't want to be a deal, so save the seat for somebody else.

Yes I understand you've submitted applications but just don't bother with the secondaries and ignore any interviews.

You've already posted that you've turned to acceptances down, so don't waste our time. Unless you were lying in those posts? My trolldar is starting to tingle.
How did you get off the waitlist for VCOM last month without having applied DO? That's some magic.

Hi guys,

I apologize for the confusion and I can tell why you think there is a discrepancy with my posts. Me and my twin brother share one account and so he posts about his med school related problems sometimes and I do as well at other times.

He was the one who was applied DO last cycle and had acceptances, including the VCOM one you were referencing. I on the other hand was rejected after applying only MD, and that's what my post yesterday was about.

I hope that clears things up. We've been sharing this account since 2015 or so.

Hi guys,

I apologize for the confusion and I can tell why you think there is a discrepancy with my posts. Me and my twin brother share one account and so he posts about his med school related problems sometimes and I do as well at other times.

He was the one who was applied DO last cycle and had acceptances, including the VCOM one you were referencing. I on the other hand was rejected after applying only MD, and that's what my post yesterday was about.

Pretty sure sharing accounts is a TOS violation.

Now Trolldar is really going off.

Reactions: 4 users
Plot twist: the twin doesn’t really exist

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Every....single.....cycle....threads like this show up.

Reactions: 2 users
What a strange thread... people should just be honest so they can get the best info to help themselves. No one to impress here...

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys,

Okay then, Sybil. Here's the simple message to however many of you there are: don't apply to a school if you don't plan to attend. It's that simple. If you want DO schools to be your backup next cycle, then apply to DO schools next cycle. As @Goro suggested, just ignore any developments from your already-submitted apps.

Another pro tip: don't say you have "nothing against DO," then proceed to explain why you don't want to be one. You might mean well (and I hope you do) but it just comes across as condescending to those of us who are DO students/DOs.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
OP's question has already been answered with @Goro's response
As the DO schools don't talk to each other nor to MD), you'll be fine, unless a secondary asks you if you've been accepted to a medical school.

@Matthew9Thirtyfive

Status
Not open for further replies.