Turning down interviews...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Filly Bay

Don't Panic
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As weird as it feels to turn down interviews that I've worked so hard to get, I've decided not to interview at Kansas State or Iowa State after receiving my acceptance at Michigan State. The price of flights/hotels/food ect will be around $1000 per interview if I go and it doesn't make sense financially when I'd rather go to Michigan and I don't want to waste their time. Also, I was hoping this would allow someone else to interview if they are still sending out invites.

What I wanted to ask, is there an appropriate/nice way to do this? Is it okay to email the admissions person or should I call? Has anyone else had to do this?

I had already accepted the interview dates before I made my decision/heard from MSU.

Members don't see this ad.

As weird as it feels to turn down interviews that I've worked so hard to get, I've decided not to interview at Kansas State or Iowa State after receiving my acceptance at Michigan State. The price of flights/hotels/food ect will be around $1000 per interview if I go and it doesn't make sense financially when I'd rather go to Michigan.

What I wanted to ask, is there an appropriate/nice way to do this? Is it okay to email the admissions person or should I call? Has anyone else had to do this?

I had already accepted the interview dates before I made my decision/heard from MSU.

Personally, I would email. That way everything is in writing for all parties. I know when I declined acceptances, they wanted me to email even after I talked to them on the phone. Makes sure there are no misunderstandings, nobody can go back later and say "but I really wanted that interview and they told me not to come. SUE THEM!"
Request a read receipt and a response, and leave them your contact info in case they want to follow up for whatever reason. You'll make someone on the interview waitlist very happy, I'm sure.

I agree. Email is usually best. And I completely understand turning down interviews. It makes sense for you and helps out the schools (either they invite more people or they have one less person to interview).

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard from any of the schools I applied to yet, but some of them have interview dates I saw in the interview thread set for the same day (OSU, UPenn, and VMRCVM all have interview dates the weekend of January 25-26). If I happened to be scheduled 2 on one day, and had to pick and choose because they can't be rescheduled, what should be said in the email sent? Is it polite to say you would rather go to this other school? Would they expect a reason, or could I just say, "sorry I won't be able to attend the interview"?

I haven't heard from any of the schools I applied to yet, but some of them have interview dates I saw in the interview thread set for the same day (OSU, UPenn, and VMRCVM all have interview dates the weekend of January 25-26). If I happened to be scheduled 2 on one day, and had to pick and choose because they can't be rescheduled, what should be said in the email sent? Is it polite to say you would rather go to this other school? Would they expect a reason, or could I just say, "sorry I won't be able to attend the interview"?

If that were the situation, you would presumably have already contacted both schools asking if they could reschedule due to a conflict with another school's interview, and they would have both said no. So it shouldn't be a surprise to them if you replied to that 'no' email and said, "ok, well I guess I will have to decline your interview. Too bad." I don't think there's any reason to elaborate. I dunno if they would ask in this case, but many schools do ask what school you chose over them if you decline an acceptance

I called last year to decline interviews/acceptances and I think only Penn made me put it in writing (email). Just be polite and give them a 30 second spiel thanking them for considering your application, explaining your decision, and wishing them the best in extending an opportunity to another applicant in your place (hey, this sounds like a template you could use!)

I e-mailed Missouri to cancel my already-scheduled interview the same day that I got my acceptance to Ohio State. They responded positively, thanking me for letting them know and congratulating me on my other acceptance. It didn't make sense for me to drive 8 hours each way for a 15-minute interview at Mizzou, pay for hotels and gas, etc. when I know that OSU is my top choice by far. Hopefully gives another applicant a chance to interview at Mizzou, too.

Just as an FYI: VMRCVM has a MMI format for interviews, so rescheduling it if you are offered an interview likely will not be an option.

Just as an FYI: VMRCVM has a MMI format for interviews, so rescheduling it if you are offered an interview likely will not be an option.

MMI felt like what I would imagine the hunger games to feel like... Wouldn't want to pass that up! :p

MMI felt like what I would imagine the hunger games to feel like... Wouldn't want to pass that up! :p

Not sure if this means that you hated MMI...?
I really liked it and I'm pretty sure I got in because the format played to my strengths. I'm really comfortable walking up to strangers and starting conversations:laugh:

Not sure if this means that you hated MMI...?
I really liked it and I'm pretty sure I got in because the format played to my strengths. I'm really comfortable walking up to strangers and starting conversations:laugh:

Probably because I'm also not sure.. I found it 50% terrifying and 50% thrilling if not fun... But that's probably the inner masochist speaking :D some scenarios played up my strengths and some caught me off guard - certainly their goal! Hopefully I get a second shot at it...

Hopefully I get a second shot at it...

I hope you do too! Interviews are early this year, it's the week that we get back from break. If you get an interview, PM me and maybe we can meet up for a drink (or coffee if you don't drink). Good Luck!!! :luck: I guess y'all will be finding out soon:xf:

I hope you do too! Interviews are early this year, it's the week that we get back from break. If you get an interview, PM me and maybe we can meet up for a drink (or coffee if you don't drink). Good Luck!!! :luck: I guess y'all will be finding out soon:xf:

Drinks of both the alcoholic and caffeinated nature suit my fancy :) I would love either. Fingers crossed!

So I could use some opinions...
If I get an interview invite to Illinois, I'm debating if I'm going to accept it or not. It's the most expensive school I applied to, I've gotten interviews to 3 other schools and I think even if Illinois was the only school I was accepted to I would probably reapply because it is so pricey. That being said, I really love their program, and I think out of all the schools I applied to I like theirs the best. It is going to be expensive for me to fly out there for the interview, but at the same time I'd kind of like to leave my options open. I'm have time to think about it and I'm in no rush to decide, just want to get some thoughts on the matter.

So I could use some opinions...
If I get an interview invite to Illinois, I'm debating if I'm going to accept it or not. It's the most expensive school I applied to, I've gotten interviews to 3 other schools and I think even if Illinois was the only school I was accepted to I would probably reapply because it is so pricey. That being said, I really love their program, and I think out of all the schools I applied to I like theirs the best. It is going to be expensive for me to fly out there for the interview, but at the same time I'd kind of like to leave my options open. I'm have time to think about it and I'm in no rush to decide, just want to get some thoughts on the matter.

If you're going to reapply even if you get accepted, then withdraw your application so that interview can go to someone else. It works out better for you, because unless something's changed recently schools will raise an eyebrow next year when you reapply and you check the "i've applied and have been accepted to a vet school before" which I think also requires an explanation. That doesn't look good.