Tuskegee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zusie

OSU - 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is kind of a rant/vent/warning. I know I'm not the first or last that will criticize their application process itself, but I do have a few other complaints as well.

One of the vets I worked for went to Tuskegee. She is an excellent clinician. So I included Tuskegee in my list of schools to apply for even though it didn't use VMCAS. This was because of a) that vet and b) the possibility of a contract seat (yay, less $$$).

So, I fill out the online application (I think it only crashed once). I can understand why schools like them and A&M have their own application to make sure you really are interested in THEM and not ticking a box on a form. But that application was a mess (at least it was back in 2008). I also sent my handwritten statement and LORs/transcripts/scores. It was also one of the few schools that required a photograph (passport photo). I think the other one that hinted they wanted a picture was Mississippi, and that was optional. Did A&M? I think they wanted one too. (I don't think that it's that big a deal - but I know people that have to interview/hire employees that seemed really surprised by it and even thought it was a bit sneaky since legally you're not really allowed to "ask" much about the background of applicants).

So, I got everything in and found out I'd gotten an interview. Great! So, I get off work and traveled down to Alabama. By this point I've already done a few so I'm not too stressed. I guess I did okay. The people were nice and the campus is okay.

So, I wait and wait and wait. Meanwhile, I get a few rejections from some of my other schools, a few waitlists, and *the letter*. But still no word from Tuskegee.

Finally, after I've heard from just about everyone else I get a letter that tells me I'm not accepted and they couldn't even consider me... because I have two W's on my transcript. "Apparently" that's a rule or something.

And this just really irritated me me. If I was completely out of the running all along because of that (which they would have known the moment they got my application), then why did they even interview me? W's can't be changed. Would they have made an exception or something if they really liked me? If they didn't accept me because they had better candidates, why didn't they just say so? I don't understand why they would have to even "make up" an excuse.

So, I just figured that it was just me but I spoke to a transfer student the other day and found out that she got screwed around by them as well. Except it all started once she was ACCEPTED. They then kept telling her they didn't have room and basically led her on like that for a year. So, I'm not the only person that had to deal with their arbitrary decisions.

I'm not bashing the school itself because I don't know enough about it (and I would have gone there). But the application process is the biggest headache and admissions is apparently run by very unorganized people. I would strongly discourage dealing with them (I was warned, but I didn't listen). I guess I assumed that so few would apply due to the reputation of the application process that my chances would be better - and I'm sure that's true to some degree. But not when they seem to be so random with what they place value on.

Maybe you'll have a better shot. Just thought that I would share that experience just to let others know how they operate.

(I've been reading on this forum and know that everyone is getting is trying to get their applications in now).

Oh, and if you're curious about my W's: one was the 2nd Semester of Calculus that I later retook. The second one was a 1 hour Biochem Lab. The lab was just not fitting my semester schedule well (it was in the evenings and running over at least an hour every time) and I unfortunately waited too long to drop. Plus, my Organic Chem II lab made it redundant for my vet school (and graduation) requirement. I don't regret those decisions as they were what was best for me at the time. But apparently W's are a huge red flag for Tuskegee!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The two W rule puzzles me. I was accepted there (however, attending elsewhere) and I have *numerous* W's on my transcript from years ago. Granted, our experience with them differs by a year so something may have changed.

Some of their decision making does seem rather random. Although, most of the decision making for vet school admissions can seem random at some point!

Hey, another OK State person! Hope that anatomy went well the other day!

Yeah, I'd almost completely forgotten about this until I talked to one of the St. George's kids and heard her story and got mad all over again. I mean, if I had to do it all over again I'd probably still apply to Tuskegee because I wanted in badly. But that whole situation irritated me so much.

I mean, I had some schools give me an interview and some that didn't. I wound up with getting an offer from more than one school so I'm definitely NOT complaining. I also had some rejections and if I'd met with them they would have told me what my weak points were.

What makes me mad about the Tuskegee thing is the *reason* they gave for not wanting me was something that should have eliminated me from even being interviewed. I mean, if I wasn't competitive with their applicant pool they just should have said they had a lot of applicants and I didn't make the cut.

Yeah, just thought I'd share that because it's all in the past now but might be interesting to some of the kids applying (not that horror stories are ever good to hear, but the truth's the truth). And none of my classmates care, haha (they have horror stories of their own, I'm sure). Although I did find out I wasn't the only person that thought that A&M's interview setup was very cold and unwelcoming (compared to places like Kansas and Tuskegee).

And you're definitely right about the whole process being fairly random at pretty much any school, though. I am definitely glad to put the whole VMCAS thing behind me...

Well, enough about that. Good luck to everyone applying this year and I hope everyone has a great semester! :)

(Edited to fix a typo)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, i am having a hard time finding ANYYY information about tuskegee on their website. does anyone know how many OOS students they accept? when GRE scores must be received by? ughh :confused:

If memory serves from last year, the number isn't set in stone. They have a handful of contract slots but much of their class is made up of OOS.

As far as GRE, I don't seem to have that date on my spreadsheet from last year. I would email Terri Thompson in the admissions dept. She can get short as it comes times for interviews and decision letters, but she was always helpful for me. I contacted her multiple times w questions while applying. Don't leave a voicemail, either get her directly or email.

hey guys, i am having a hard time finding ANYYY information about tuskegee on their website. does anyone know how many OOS students they accept? when GRE scores must be received by? ughh :confused:

This is kind of a rant/vent/warning. I know I'm not the first or last that will criticize their application process itself, but I do have a few other complaints as well.

One of the vets I worked for went to Tuskegee. She is an excellent clinician. So I included Tuskegee in my list of schools to apply for even though it didn't use VMCAS. This was because of a) that vet and b) the possibility of a contract seat (yay, less $$$).

Finally, after I've heard from just about everyone else I get a letter that tells me I'm not accepted and they couldn't even consider me... because I have two W's on my transcript. "Apparently" that's a rule or something.

I'm not bashing the school itself because I don't know enough about it (and I would have gone there). But the application process is the biggest headache and admissions is apparently run by very unorganized people. I would strongly discourage dealing with them (I was warned, but I didn't listen). I guess I assumed that so few would apply due to the reputation of the application process that my chances would be better - and I'm sure that's true to some degree. But not when they seem to be so random with what they place value on.

Paragraph 1. If you have a low opinion of Tuskegee University School of Veterinary Medicine DONT APPLY! It does not matter if your opinion is just of the administration because our administrators are also professors so you can't separate admissions from administration from academics.You will save your self some pain by not applying, because there are many students who don't have a low opinion of Tuskegee University SVM who will take you to task if you come in with this "I'm too good for this school attitude" this has been prevalent in my class, where several people have made it clear that they are only there because that is were they were accepted. It has been my experience through observation that those students who feel the school is not good enough for them are rude to other students as well as faculty members and staff.

If you don't know at interview many interviewers will try to weed out people who have this opinion as it does nothing but tear the classes apart and leaves a negative impact on other students.

Paragraph 2.
Tuskegee University SVM is more accessible/inclusive by not using the VMCAS, so it is always amusing to me when people ( not necessarily the OP but in general) bring that up on this forum in a less than positive connotation ex: ( I applied even though they don't use VMCAS). Paying $30-50 versus $120 seems like a good thing. Not using the VMCAS also allows them to be more flexible with students who might have 1 low score (where they might be weeded out using VMCAS) but have outstanding scores or experience in something else.
Paragraph 2a. I’m glad that you recognized that Tuskegee University SVM produces good veterinarians. For others who read this TUSVM's alumni include a former Assistant Surgeon General-Dr. Blackwell, Chief Veterinarian at the CDC-Dr. Powell, and many alumni are in faculty positions at the other Veterinary schools including Deans and former Deans. And of course there are many good private practitioners as well.

Paragraph 3. Even though you feel that taking a separate biochemistry lab would be redundant because your Organic chemistry lab covered it, lab with biochemistry is a "set in stone" pre-requisite. I had to take a separate lab my self because I had only 3 credits where TUSVM required 4 credits. If you want to go to a school you have to make yourself match their requirement, that’s just the way things are. What other veterinary schools pick through each and every course and credit hour to see if they can substitute their requirements with each applicants individual course work? I applied in the same year that you did so I know exactly what you are talking about with the online application. It was a mess, I had to call them because the form areas was 80% too small for me to include all the information that they were asking, I was told that I was not the "typical" student, and was told to send in the paper application where I could include all of my information. However other than that I had no problems with the process and I understand that was the 1st time that they had their online application up and there were a lot of problems with it in the beginning.

Paragraph 4
. BUT YOU ARE BASHING THE SCHOOL! When you advise that people 'be wary' or 'consider not applying based on your experience with the application process' (I'm not quoting you) you are bashing or criticizing the school. Like stated above I had to call once to asked about the space provided on the application form and I had no trouble with the application process, admissions, administration, or anything else AND I have classmates who didn't have problems with the process either.

Summary. To the OP: From your post and what I know about the admissions requirements you would have been admitted if you had taken the biochemistry lab. It is required and there is no way around it.

In general it seems TUSVM has been too lenient in the past with accepting and admitting students who had not taken all of their pre-requisites. That is going to end with the next cycle (according to the Dean of Academic Affairs in a letter sent out the beginning of this school year) because there are currently 4th years who have not taken all of their prerequisites and we have been told every year at the beginning of the year that we need to finish pre-requisites (mainly animal science) and I know some people have ignored this. No doubt when they have to face the consequences they will complain but students interested in applying should ignore those people who basically thought the rules did not apply to them. In the coming years you will be required to have all your prerequisites done before being admitted, even if you get accepted!! If you can't show that you completed that class by the summer before entering it doesn't look like things are going to go your way.

To interested students: When you interview at Tuskegee University SVM you get a class email. I strongly encourage you to use it and the 1st thing is to contact the other classes and talk to as many individual students as possible.

To SDN, its administrators and moderators: Have you ever wondered why no current Tuskegee University SVM students post on this forum...it is because it feels like it is acceptable to bash Tuskegee University. There are several of my classmates who are registered on this site but as one of my friends told me 1st year, when Tuskegee is mentioned on this site the comments infuriate her. This site and this forum is so quick to shut down threads that even hint at medical advise and even double posting but defaming an entire school is not against the rules. That seems questionable. We are all going to be colleagues if you have heard bad things about my school- and you believe them, or if you have a low opinion of the school where my knowledge came from how will you not have a low opinion of me as a veterinarian?

I don't see anything wrong with the OP's post. They had a confusing and unsatisfying experience -- I'd hardly call that bashing.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with lailanni, and I also had an experience that was very, very similar to the OP's. She's not bashing the school, and other people have vented in other threads about other schools. Every school has issues of some sort.

This is a place where you are allowed to post your opinions and experiences. Nothing wrong with that.

To all people who go to TU, if you would actually get on here and tell people what you think about the school, maybe some people's views would change. I try to tell people what I love about MSU so they may be able to share in my wonderful experiences. I encourage you all to be proud of your school and to not be deterred from speaking about the school just because someone else had a negative experience

The green bolded is the main reason I posted, which seems to have been over-looked. The OP, by his or her own admission, did not take a course that was required and after he/she was not admitted he/she thought negatively of the school.

How does the OP not having the required courses to be admitted make the school unorganized? It is my opinion as stated above that what the school is, is too lenient by interviewing people, such as the OP, who don't have their pre-reqs done.

As for the bashing comment, I likened criticism to bashing and while "criticize" is an antonym for bashing I do think bashing is more aggressive than criticizing so I will amend my statement: I think the OP was wrongly criticizing Tuskegee University SVM when he/she is the one who failed to take the required course.

Last edited:
When I applied, each school I was in the running for let me know if

a) I had met all of their pre-reqs

OR

b) If I did need to take any additional classes, and the timeline they expected me to have it done by.

This is a pretty important thing to communicate with applicants. Not saying the school is to blame, but sounds like they could improve communication in this area.

When I applied, each school I was in the running for let me know if

a) I had met all of their pre-reqs

OR

b) If I did need to take any additional classes, and the timeline they expected me to have it done by.

This is a pretty important thing to communicate with applicants. Not saying the school is to blame, but sounds like they could improve communication in this area.

That's really nice and everything and helpful of the schools...but should it really be necessary? Shouldn't an applicant who is interested enough in a school know exactly what they need to do to get in? All of the schools whose websites I have visited clearly state their prerequisite requirements. While I understand applicants have a lot going on and it's a nice courtesy to let students know what they have to finish, I don't think it should by any means be required if the requirements are listed in a place that's accessible to everyone.

I had a hell of a time even finding Tuskegee's requirements. If nothing else, can they please just... fix their website? I mean... even icanhascheezburger is ORGANIZED...

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a hell of a time even finding Tuskegee's requirements. If nothing else, can they please just... fix their website? I mean... even icanhascheezburger is ORGANIZED...

Ick yeah, I'll give you that. It'd be nice if the "admissions" tab didn't take you to admissions of the undergrad program. I DO think that a school should at least have its requirements posted quite obviously on its website.

That's really nice and everything and helpful of the schools...but should it really be necessary? Shouldn't an applicant who is interested enough in a school know exactly what they need to do to get in?

That's true. But it's a very nice courtesy, especially if you are applying to several schools. Most people typically apply to more than one school. There is such a wide variation in what each school requires it's hard to keep it all straight.

I spent about 20 minutes trying to navigate TSU-SVM web page (keep getting bounced back to their undergrad page), and still have not found their pre-vet requirements. Anyone who has found it, can you please link it?

Thanks

I googled it. Otherwise, i could find the TUSVM student handbook (for current students) and a nice link to their online application form, which is 'down for maintenance.'

The school may be (and probably is!) a wonderful place with great professors and a positive learning environment... great student-to-professor ratio, personalized education, etc. etc.

BUT, this website is the front they provide for every possible applicant across the U.S. and Canada. And it's just... plain... terrible. WHERE is the information?

They really would benefit from realizing this (large) shortcoming and fixing it. More applicants, more students to choose from, more application fees sent in, more money going into the school... it's a good thing.

That really is too bad. I was curious about this school when I was applying but lost interest after I could find no information on their website and had no other way to contact them. It's a shame they haven't fixed it since then.

IIRC, when you click the 'apply now button' to enter their application portal, the first few frames outline their application requirements, specifically, the pre-reqs.

I'm glad to hear back from someone at Tuskegee! (sorry it took me so long to get back to the thread!) :) And you did bring up a point I had (somehow?) managed to overlook in my indignant rage.

Let me snag one little sentence from one of your posts (I would get the part you colored green as well but you pretty much allude to it here).

It is my opinion as stated above that what the school is, is too lenient by interviewing people, such as the OP, who don't have their pre-reqs done.

Honestly, that's basically the biggest thing that irked me about the whole process. WHY did they interview me if it was 100% unworkable. If you read on in my post below, I had some reason to think that they are somewhat flexible in their requirements. So my applying knowing I was missing the biochem wasn't completely me just being an entitled brat or something. By interviewing me I guess I stupidly thought that if they liked what they saw we could work something out. Also, even if I had retaken it at a later time and reapplied - I have two Ws. They can't accept me, remember!

Of course another poster had a VERY good point - that we are all responsible adults and need to be on top of all the requirements ourselves. But mistakes happen and things do slip through the cracks.

So, basically the short version is: I forgot about the Biochemistry being the requirement in the initial post. But that makes the rejection letter make even less sense. Why did they a) interview me at all? b) Not just reject me on the grounds of missing a required class?!? What was this Ws nonsense. That's still what makes me think it wasn't the missing biochemistry itself that was necessarily the problem (see below).

---

Long Answer: Yes, I do remember now the biochemistry lab was a requirement. The "redundant" comment wasn't me intentionally trying to challenge ADMISSIONS - that's how it was at all the other places I applied (I do see now why that makes me look like a jerk). It's been almost two years now and I'd forgotten about that lab requirement being different from everyone else (that doesn't help my case now or make me seem too competent, does ii? Heh.)

HOWEVER, my vet (the alumna) told me that they had been flexible up until a point with the requirements when she had applied (and she is not the only person I thought to be "in the know" that told me this so it wasn't a completely off the wall thing to wish for). I know that she in particular had been lacking at least the (infamous) poultry requirement and had been given a private tutor over the summer to get up to speed. (There may have been another class as well). I was already graduated by the time I worked for that vet in particular so I thought I'd just give them a shot to see what feedback they gave. I had visited the campus once before when I went to go see a bunch of schools in the southeast. I can understand why the Tuskegee poster is a bit sensitive about this subject. Most people in my pre-vet club and recent vets I'd talked to basically told me the application process was ridiculous which was why I'd had qualms to start with. I quickly found out for myself that the only info I could find on the Tuskegee web site was very outdated and didn't even link to the right place. Anyways, after applying (based on my impression of the website) I didn't have a lot of faith in hearing much from them. So when I got an interview I was very happy - that was the first I ever heard from them. For all the other schools getting that interview meant: "We consider your file complete and KNOW that you are getting this last requirement we want." Heck, for all I knew they'd accepted one of my other 400-level Biology/Chemistry labs as a substitute.

Back to my original "rant". It still seems completely arbitrary that they cite two Ws (and there was a paragraph I think at the bottom about why Ws are bad omens for having success in vet school) as the reason to not accept me. As you've pointed out above, they had AWESOME reason to not accept me - I was missing at least one required class! Why didn't they say that? Why did they even interview me at all? It was just wasting their time and mine. That's what makes me think the admission department is spectacularly disorganized if they don't even bother seeing if each folder is complete before granting interviews months later. And some places gave me an answer within a week of the interview process. Tuskegee took at least a month.

An example of how another school handled this way better: I had accidentally skipped a required class for one of the two schools I applied to the year before when I was still getting the hang of the application. I assure you I found out about that oversight BEFORE the interview. At that point they assumed I was taking it in the fall (as in, I didn't mark the correct box) and gave me an interview but were concerned I hadn't mentioned taking the class in the spring. I had to inform them that I couldn't take the class in time and had to pass on my interview. Yes. I screwed up. But they didn't have me fly out for an interview and then tell me a month later that I was missing a requirement months after that. Do you see what I'm trying to say? I didn't have the class, they couldn't take me. We didn't waste each others time and there were no hard feelings. I applied again. It was completely my fault but it was an honest mistake/misunderstanding.

---

I would have been proud to go to Tuskegee. I can't argue that my posts have a very negative tone and I could see how you would take offense and mistakenly believe that this reflects my view of the school as a whole.

However, I don't think it's an inappropriate post on a board for people applying to vet schools all over the country. People need to know what other experiences people have had applying to different schools, be they good or bad. It's fairly obvious I made some mistakes (even repeated some), but maybe my experience will help someone else. And if nothing else, give them hope that they too will get in somewhere! :)

I think everything happens for a reason and I'm extremely happy where I ended up and I think my school is a great fit for me - even if the year before I thought I wanted to go somewhere else! I'm glad you found the school for you as well. Have a great semester! :)

Last edited:
....but defaming an entire school is not against the rules. That seems questionable. We are all going to be colleagues if you have heard bad things about my school- and you believe them, or if you have a low opinion of the school where my knowledge came from how will you not have a low opinion of me as a veterinarian?

....it's not defaming if it's true. the website for TUSVM is a **** show. as an IS, i didn't even apply to TU b/c if the website is any indication of how the school is run, you can forget it.

now did you and your classmates organize the website? if not, chill out. it's not a personal attack on you or your classmates. it's a simple stated fact that TUSVM's website is a cluster f*ck. maybe, just MAYBE, instead of getting your panties in a ruffle and spending 30 minutes compiling a narrative response to this awful forum, you should direct that time and energy into compiling constructive criticism to provide the website admin, to IMPROVE your school's application process.

and ps - the view of some individuals of your SVM DOES NOT in any way reflect you as a veterinarian...YOU, your skills, your knowledge, etc WILL reflect you as a veterinarian. CALM DOWN.

WAR EAGLE!

(I thought I'd reply one more time - I apologize if everyone is tired of this subject now! Any bolding is my own.)

I did a search in my emails to see what all the correspondences I had with them were. I copy-pasted them into Word and here they are. This is what you can expect. They DO communicate with you - I just never heard about any problem with my classes or anything. They communicate primarily with email to let you know the status of your file and more information about your interviews:

---

9/30/08:

I emailed them regarding the online application not working. They emailed me the same day and told me that the server had been down earlier but that it should be working.

---

Email from 10/15/08:

As of 10/16/2008 Your application is missing the following items:

"one vet evaluation, $55.00 application fee"

These items must be in by Ocotober 24th in order for your application to be reviewed for the 2009 school year.

*In order for your application to be considered for acceptance, you must send in an official passport photo to Tuskegee University School of Veterinary Medicine. If you have already done so, please disregard this portion of the email. Those who have not, have until October 24th to get the photos HERE. This means it must be postmarked and delivered ON OR BEFORE October 24th. Please refer to page 13 of the online application which instructs you that a passport photo will be the only photo accepted. If you have sent in any other photo, you application will not be considered unless the passport photo has reached us by October 24th. Passport photos are available at CVS, Walgreens, or your local postal office. If you have any questions feel free to contact me via email: [email address removed]

Once again, even if you have already sent in a photograph unless it is an ORIGINAL passport photo, you application cannot be considered until you send in an ORIGINAL passport photograph.
(I had already sent in my passport photo so that last part wasn't directed at me. They had "lost" my check but found it when I emailed them what the number on my check was. The letter they didn't have had been mailed and had to be redone by one of my referrals. Ugh.)

---

Email from 11/5/08:

Thank you for your interest in Tuskegee School of Veterinary Medicine. At this time, we have received all of your information required in order to further review your application for admittance for the incoming class of 2009.

The Admissions Committee will be meeting shortly and will decide upon applicants who will be granted interviews. Look for a letter/email in late December/ early January stating you specific status.
---

Email from 1/15/09:

At this time, the Admissions Committee is meeting and going over all applicant files (if you are receiving this email, that means your file has been passed along to the committee). We will be sending out letters regarding interviews and updating the status of your applications in late January/early February. Until then, there will be no change in your status. Students who are reapplying or have any other special circumstances, will also not hear anything until later on.
Does that mean all first time applicants are interviewed? I did figure out that if you reapply they don't reinterview you, they just count your original interview.

---

Email from 1/21/09:

Please check your status online using your Student Return number. Proceed with selection of date of interview. Please plan accordingly for the date of which you choose.
This was more online application confusion. And the time frame I *thought* I selected reserved had nothing to do with anything - we all met in the morning in the hotel lobby and were brought to the interview building together.

---

2/9/09:

Please log back onto your application in order to see your confirmed date and time SLOT. If you would like to know the exact time please email me or call me at the information listed below.
(There were some directions, etc. included).

---

The actual interview itself was one weekend in Friday. I don't have a record of the date.

The vet school student volunteers were wonderful and I had a nice time socializing with the other applicants before me interview. And there were delicious refreshments! I will say that some of the actual interview questions themselves were bit unexpected...

---

Fast-forward to April when I FINALLY got my rejection letter. I just found the envelope in my vet school applications material and it was postmarked April 14.

The letter inside, however, was "dated" March 11, 2009. Apparently it took the office a month to mail it after it was typed. Did it get "lost" in the admissions department somewhere?!"

Oh, and here was the relevant portion of the letter itself (alluded to in the posts above):

Thank you for your interest in the veterinary program at Tuskegee University. Your application for admission and supporting documents have been given careful and thoughful consideration by the Committee on Veterinary Admissions. Based on this assessment, your application for admission to the Veterinary Program was not approved for the reason(s) below:

Based on your preveterinary transcript(s):

* Based on the pattern of your academic performance demonstrated in your transcript(s), you have multiple withdrawals or have repeated two (2) or more required science courses before earning a satisfactory grade ("C" grade or higher).
No mention of me missing classes. And the reason they gave for me not being eligible is something I wouldn't have ever been able to go back in time and change!?!

---

So, yeah, the purpose of this post was just to show what was said in our communications and to let you know the reason I was given for not being accepted (definitely something to look into if you've got some W's for required courses and want to apply).

---

Also, off topic again: I have no idea why you'd think I look down on Tuskegee students?!? If nothing I have a HIGHER opinion of you and respect you more because you were successful at deciphering and conquering their application process! I sure wasn't able to manage it, heh.

Anyways, I hope that you have a great semester. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Zusie for your response.

I think the W response was nonsense, we both agree that the admin is too lenient with requirements but to clarify what I mean and what I know to be true is that other students who did not have every thing in their application, but were strong candidates and were interviewed got in by submitting transcripts of the class they missed during interviews. Like if you were still taking a class that spring that technically you should have had the previous year just as long as you could show that you took it before the acceptance/rejection letters went out the school was accepting that.

But like I stated that is now ending thanks to current students who took advantage of the fact they could be admitted w/out completing all requirements. NONE of the current students will be allowed to register for the next semester with out showing proof that they have completed or are currently enrolled in the pre-requisites they missed. 4th years won't graduate with out having completed all pre-reques. Admin has been telling us this constantly and now they are doing what they have to do.

To the general public: as an older student who is well traveled, I have had the pleasure of working in academia before coming to vet school and have done a lot of traveling and visiting other schools, my indignation comes from observations. I have been at other veterinary schools speaking with faculty members and have had faculty (1 person in particular comes to mind) that have made the rudest, most inaccurate comments about Tuskegee University SVM. There is a general poor opinion of TUSVM, from my own personal experience to people in our own field who have publicly made insulting statements about the school- if your big on VIN you may have read the statements, I won't go into that. But as a PROUD 3rd year student it is my place to stand-up to any sort of negativity about my school.

There was a poster here who always posted TU links and posted all of the info that people keep saying they cant find. So I really don't understand. If your remember LILA, I don't know if she posts anymore but she is in the c/o 2013.

The server is down right now, but don't worry it will be back up soon, the page that you want to go to is:
www.onemedicine.tuskegee.edu- Try it on Monday or later in the week

Requirements

To see requirements you have to go into the application, the 1st page is actually just info and it lists all requirements.

Or you can look at the Bulletin at the Registrar's webpage. Here it is copied and pasted.

Minimum Semester Credits
English Composition or Communication 6
Social Science and Humanities
(e.g., history, sociology, psychology) 6
Liberal Arts
(e.g., art, music, foreign languages) 6
Mathematics
(algebra and trigonometry) 6
+Chemistry:
Organic chemistry
(with laboratory) 4
Biochemistry (with laboratory) 4
+*Physics (to include laboratories) 8
+Advanced Biology (e.g., anatomy,
physiology,microbiology, genetics, zoology) 9
+Animal Science
Introductory 3
Poultry 3
+Animal Nutrition 3
Free Electives (may include advanced
biological science courses and/or others) 8

+All science courses in these categories must have been completed within six calendar years of the time of admission.
*Two semesters or one academic year.

Out of curiosity, how does one fulfill the 'poultry' requirement? I go to a school with a huge animal science department, and I'm not even sure we have a basic "poultry science" class.

mekia02,

Thanks for replying! Another user summed up my experience fairly well - it was a bit confusing (so I guess I would have just had to take poultry and biochem lab somewhere before I graduated vet school?) I'm glad that admissions is making some changes. It will definitely help if they could streamline the process a bit.

Also, please don't automatically get defensive when someone says something critical about Tuskegee. I'm sorry that there are people who say things that are ugly or untrue because of ignorance. However, I think that what has been said about the website is a valid issue. Way before a lot of people ever travel to Alabama to view the campus they will probably check out your web site. If it leaves them frustrated, that's going to leave a bad impression of your school. Admissions at least needs to look into getting it organized and updated a bit and maybe even working on it having less downtime (I actually can't browse it at the moment to refresh my memory due to it being down). I think of it like the actual vet school interview process - if I showed up wearing a very outdated outfit and seeming less than organized that's not going to make a great impression. Even if I'm just as qualified and intelligent as the other candidates. Maybe if someone doesn't judges you solely on your web site you don't want them as a student anyway - but why wouldn't you want to make a great impression?

Something else that I think will help is to try to get your requirements clearly posted on the AAVMC web site. Do they only allow VMCAS members to be posted to reduce confusion? Perhaps listing it with an asterix that denotes it uses a separate application process?

http://www.aavmc.org/vmcas/College_Requirements.htm

I know that Texas A&M isn't posted either and they also have a separate application. However, while it too is rather general (OneHealth concept - vet/dental/medical schools), it is statewide leading to more information and assistance to be found (versus the online application for one school).

twelvetigers - I know my undergrad offered it and even had an online class. I have no idea how that worked, haha. I think there was one required lab or something.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how does one fulfill the 'poultry' requirement? I go to a school with a huge animal science department, and I'm not even sure we have a basic "poultry science" class.

I actually called up Tuskegee about that when I applied. Apparently you were (and this may not be true any more if they're no longer allowing incomplete prerequisites) allowed to take the poultry class at Tuskegee after being admitted. You'd have to complete it during your first semester.

I wasn't exactly sure how that would work if there was a scheduling conflict, but at the time, I wasn't concerned about what could have been impossible lol.

If your school has animal sci you should ask the professors I'm sure they could direct you. For people who didn't take it in undergrad many of us do correspondence courses or distant learning courses. Someone posted a list of schools that offer either poultry or animal science courses that were accepted by NCSU(I think it was NCSU) a few weeks ago, search pre-vet or search the vet forum. It was a very good list and it had many of the same schools TU students use. Most people take it over the summer. Some just stretch it out and do a little at a time over the entire year. I took Poultry Sci from Murray State as a correspondance course a little over the year.

mekia02,

Thanks for replying! Another user summed up my experience fairly well - it was a bit confusing (so I guess I would have just had to take poultry and biochem lab somewhere before I graduated vet school?) ......

Also, please don't automatically get defensive when someone says something critical about Tuskegee. I'm sorry that there are people who say things that are ugly or untrue because of ignorance. However, I think that what has been said about the website is a valid issue. Way before a lot of people ever travel to Alabama to view the campus they will probably check out your web site. If it leaves them frustrated, that's going to leave a bad impression of your school. ....... Maybe if someone doesn't judges you solely on your web site you don't want them as a student anyway - but why wouldn't you want to make a great impression?

I believe, you would have had to have been enrolled in the biochem lab during the spring and show proof that you were in it and then proof that you passed before aceptences were made, but at that time they would let you in with out the animal/poultry sci, with the understanding that you would have to get that done.

I don't mean to come off as overly agressive, but what some call being defensive I call standing up for my school, which seems to happen alot. Ex. I had to "correct" an administrator from another school who told the Merck-Merial representatives some very innacurate information about TUSVM right in front of me, when the person making the assumptions could have just asked me " How is such and such?"

Although I must admitt I can understand where it comes from, before my 1st visit to TUSVM I had a bad impression of the school solely based on things other people had told me. I am a hardliner, I believe it is up to the student to do the research on a school and if you can't find all the info you need on the website then the next step should be to call and talk to someone. Of course it is much easier to talk to some one during the summer or fall versus during interview and aceptance time. That is what I did.

Yes the main website is pretty uninformative, I believe that is why the vetschool made the onemedicine site. Does it still have some issues sure, nothing is perfect but from what I have seen it is much better and has all the info to answer most basic questions.