Two batteries in a circuit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
.Okay, so I know that when a second battery is added in series, the two voltages of the two batteries sum, and so the overall voltage increases. Do we sum the voltages if a second battery is added in parallel as well? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No. Like anything in parallel, batteries in parallel give the same voltage. The current through the combination does increase, and thus the capacity increases. That is, it can power more things.

No. Like anything in parallel, batteries in parallel give the same voltage. The current through the combination does increase, and thus the capacity increases. That is, it can power more things.

Thanks, but how come the current increases in parallel if the voltage stays the same? I know in series, the increase in voltage increases the current. In parallel, does the addition of the second battery somehow lower the resistance, thus increasing the current...?

Battery in parallel is not that easy as it seems. If battery A has voltage A, battery B has voltage B, the combined voltage of A and B when arranged in parallel is A (or B) only when A=B. If A and B are not equal, supposingly A>B, the the combined voltage would be the larger one, in this case, A. However, it would form a circuit (a short circuit) between battery A and battery B.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should clarify what I meant. The current in the entire circuit may increase, but not the current through each battery. Let's say I have a battery with a certain voltage linked to multiple resistors in parallel. V = IR holds for batteries too, and because all batteries have some finite resistance, there is a maximum current that the battery can hold. So If I keep adding resistors parallel to this circuit, eventually the battery won't be able to supply the current to all the resistors. If I add a second battery parallel to the first one, then connect this combo with all the resistors, I double the maximum current or capacity. The current from each battery would meet at some point before being distributed to all the resistors or appliances in a real world situation. This sort of goes beyond the scope of the MCAT, but that's basically why batteries would be connected in parallel in the first place, to increase maximum current. In an ideal world, batteries have no internal resistance, and thus infinite current can go through them, and the concept of batteries in parallel would be meaningless.

I should clarify what I meant. The current in the entire circuit may increase, but not the current through each battery. Let's say I have a battery with a certain voltage linked to multiple resistors in parallel. V = IR holds for batteries too, and because all batteries have some finite resistance, there is a maximum current that the battery can hold. So If I keep adding resistors parallel to this circuit, eventually the battery won't be able to supply the current to all the resistors. If I add a second battery parallel to the first one, then connect this combo with all the resistors, I double the maximum current or capacity. The current from each battery would meet at some point before being distributed to all the resistors or appliances in a real world situation. This sort of goes beyond the scope of the MCAT, but that's basically why batteries would be connected in parallel in the first place, to increase maximum current. In an ideal world, batteries have no internal resistance, and thus infinite current can go through them, and the concept of batteries in parallel would be meaningless.

I'm trying to figure out how to reply, so please forgive me if I come across in any manner other than polite here. Basically, what you have said here is just not the reality.

Voltage sources (such as batteries and galvanic cells) are added in series to increase the overall voltage (because with galvanic cells for instance, there is an upper limit to the emf of the reaction). Three 1.5-V cells in series would allow you to have 4.5 V. That part I think we all agree on.

lixx669 is right on the mark with the fact that parallel batteries of unequal voltages would form a short circuited loop (one battery would dominate the other), such that the resultant voltage is some value between the voltages of each respective battery. In the easiest case, when the voltages of each battery are equal, then the voltage leaving the junction would be equal to the voltage of each battery. This means that whether we had one 12-V battery or five 12-V batteries in parallel, the voltage for the entire circuit is still 12 V. According to Ohms law, the product of total current and equivalent resistance would equal 12 either way. So, adding a second battery (of identical voltage to the first) in parallel would not change the overall current in the circuit. It would make the circuit run longer though. It would be like making a galvanic cell with a bigger anode and cathode plates of the same material. The reaction still has the same emf, but because you have more grams of reactant, it will run longer.

Also, if you keep adding resistor after resitor in parallel, it won't impact the voltage quite as you said. The total current will keep on increasing with each new parallel pathway being added, but it will not overload the battery. It could overheat the battery and thereby reduce the voltage (current going up would raise the battery temperature) or it could prematurely drain all of its power (run the reaction dry quickly), but in theory, the addition of parallel resistors simply lowers the equivalent resistance of the circuit and thereby raises the total current (current leaving the cathode and arriving at the anode). But, the voltage does not change; it's a property of the battery. It's like kinetics versus thermodynamics. A faster reaction (one with a catalyst for instance) ends sooner, but with the same equilibrium constant and free energy if it's the same reactants.

Hopefully this makes sense.

You must've misunderstood what I meant. I never said that the emf or the voltage across the circuit would change as a result of adding parallel batteries. I said that the capacity of the batteries as a whole would change. That is, the maximum power that could be supplied by the batteries as a whole, would increase, but not the power of each battery would increase. You're right that if a battery is added parallel to an existing circuit, the total current would not change. However, the current through each battery would decrease, essentially increasing the capacity of the entire system. I basically agree with what you've said, but I think you mischaracterized some of what I said. I will admit that it was not the best explanation on my part.