U.S. DO as IMG in Canada ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldstock

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found this interesting when researching about IMGs and saw it on Wikipedia,

"International medical graduate
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Canada

Several organizations have put pressure on the government such as the Association For Access to Health Care Services and Association of International Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. 20 months ago, the McGuinty Ontario government passed Bill 97, Increasing Access to Qualified Health Professionals for Ontarians Act 2008 that requires the College of Physicians and Surgeons to provide adequate numbers of doctors by issuing transitional licenses. However, the college has refused to obey the law.

In addition to undergoing the regular licencing process as required of all Canadian medical school graduates, IMGs must pass the LMCC Evaluating Examination. IMGs in Canada also have a harder time getting into residency programs compared to Canadian graduates — only ten percent of IMG applicants get a position.[2]

Graduates of United States M.D. programs are not considered IMGs and are thus exempt from the Evaluating Examination; graduates of U.S. osteopathic medical schools are considered IMGs.[3]
United States

Graduates of Canadian M.D. programs are not considered IMGs in the United States.[4]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_medical_graduate

Canada does have DO schools,

"Canada
See also: Osteopathy in Canada

The following eight schools offer manual osteopathic educational programs in Canada that are based on World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines on osteopathic education. The profession of osteopathy is regulated in Canada and only American style osteopathic physicians may use the term "osteopathy" and "osteopath". Manual osteopaths (European style osteopaths) in Canada call themselves either manual osteopaths or osteopathic manual practitioners. And the profession they practice is called manual osteopathy or osteopathic manual practice. Manual osteopaths practice hands on techniques while American style osteopaths are permitted to perform surgery and prescribe medications. American style osteopaths in Ontario are members of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, while osteopathic manual practitioners are members of other organizations. Manual osteopaths are permitted to practice in all Canadian provinces and currently there are over 1200 manual osteopaths practicing in Canada, 700 of them being in Ontario. The number of American style osteopathic physicians (doctors of osteopathy) in Canada is less than 50.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_osteopathic_colleges

So what is you opinion to why U.S. MDs are not considered IMGs in Canada but U.S. DO are ?? :thinking: :thinking:

I also post this on the MD forum to see what they think... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/u-s-do-as-img-in-canada.1067470/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This harkens back to what I said a week ago or so... that Canada is actually a rather tough place for DO's... despite what everyone just assumes (in the absence of any facts)

why different treatments ?? I always thought that MDs and DOs are equivalent and qualified to be licensed to practice medicine in many countries.

hope someone from Canada could give us some light on this one...

Members don't see this ad :)
My guess would be this - the LCME does accreditation for both the US and Canada. This unified accreditation makes the geographic location of education irrelevant. Canada or US - they're both LCME.

On the other hand, DO school's are accredited only by COCA in the US. As such, they are considered IMG because they are accredited by a body that does not grant accreditation in Canada.

Reactions: 1 user
My guess would be this - the LCME does accreditation for both the US and Canada. This unified accreditation makes the geographic location of education irrelevant. Canada or US - they're both LCME.

On the other hand, DO school's are accredited only by COCA in the US. As such, they are considered IMG because they are accredited by a body that does not grant accreditation in Canada.

that is prob it. Thank you !! :)

I found this interesting when researching about IMGs and saw it on Wikipedia,

"International medical graduate
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Canada

Several organizations have put pressure on the government such as the Association For Access to Health Care Services and Association of International Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. 20 months ago, the McGuinty Ontario government passed Bill 97, Increasing Access to Qualified Health Professionals for Ontarians Act 2008 that requires the College of Physicians and Surgeons to provide adequate numbers of doctors by issuing transitional licenses. However, the college has refused to obey the law.

In addition to undergoing the regular licencing process as required of all Canadian medical school graduates, IMGs must pass the LMCC Evaluating Examination. IMGs in Canada also have a harder time getting into residency programs compared to Canadian graduates — only ten percent of IMG applicants get a position.[2]

Graduates of United States M.D. programs are not considered IMGs and are thus exempt from the Evaluating Examination; graduates of U.S. osteopathic medical schools are considered IMGs.[3]
United States

Graduates of Canadian M.D. programs are not considered IMGs in the United States.[4]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_medical_graduate

Canada does have DO schools,

"Canada
See also: Osteopathy in Canada

The following eight schools offer manual osteopathic educational programs in Canada that are based on World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines on osteopathic education. The profession of osteopathy is regulated in Canada and only American style osteopathic physicians may use the term "osteopathy" and "osteopath". Manual osteopaths (European style osteopaths) in Canada call themselves either manual osteopaths or osteopathic manual practitioners. And the profession they practice is called manual osteopathy or osteopathic manual practice. Manual osteopaths practice hands on techniques while American style osteopaths are permitted to perform surgery and prescribe medications. American style osteopaths in Ontario are members of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, while osteopathic manual practitioners are members of other organizations. Manual osteopaths are permitted to practice in all Canadian provinces and currently there are over 1200 manual osteopaths practicing in Canada, 700 of them being in Ontario. The number of American style osteopathic physicians (doctors of osteopathy) in Canada is less than 50.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_osteopathic_colleges

So what is you opinion to why U.S. MDs are not considered IMGs in Canada but U.S. DO are ?? :thinking: :thinking:

I also post this on the MD forum to see what they think... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/u-s-do-as-img-in-canada.1067470/

This isn't correct!!!!!!

US DO's are NOT, i repeat NOT, considered IMGs.

US DOs count as canadian medical graduates and apply to first iteration residency spots in BC and Ontario alongside students who graduated from Canadian medical schools

The closest US DOs come to be considered IMGs is one exam we have to write. However, we do not have to fight for the 200ish spots that all the caribbean students do

"Pathway 3" (the policy for how and when to recognize US DO graduates) seems to suggest otherwise, but you seem to be discussing direct entry into the Canadian residency system, which I couldn't find info on during a quick search.

What docnotsopc said

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk

Even in Italy, osteopathy is on a difficult terrain. Currently, only health personnel can practice it.

Rush McColley

This isn't correct!!!!!!

US DO's are NOT, i repeat NOT, considered IMGs.

US DOs count as canadian medical graduates and apply to first iteration residency spots in BC and Ontario alongside students who graduated from Canadian medical schools

The closest US DOs come to be considered IMGs is one exam we have to write. However, we do not have to fight for the 200ish spots that all the caribbean students do
Do you have sources to back this up? AFAIK, to match in Canada at all, you have to be a Canadian citizen or PR. http://imgbc.med.ubc.ca/path-to-residency/who-can-apply/

Do you have sources to back this up? AFAIK, to match in Canada at all, you have to be a Canadian citizen or PR. http://imgbc.med.ubc.ca/path-to-residency/who-can-apply/

He's not talking about non-Canadian US DOs, he's talking about Canadians trained in US DO schools. Obviously if you don't have the to work in Canada, whether you're a DO or MD, you wouldn't be able to.

I will also say that while it may be true that Canadian US DOs are seen as CMGs in the match in some provinces, I believe they are seen as IMGs in others, so be sure to check your individual provinces first. This is the reason why many Canadian US DOs choose to finish an ACGME accredited residency before moving back to Canada.

He's not talking about non-Canadian US DOs, he's talking about Canadians trained in US DO schools. Obviously if you don't have the to work in Canada, whether you're a DO or MD, you wouldn't be able to.

I will also say that while it may be true that Canadian US DOs are seen as CMGs in the match in some provinces, I believe they are seen as IMGs in others, so be sure to check your individual provinces first. This is the reason why many Canadian US DOs choose to finish an ACGME accredited residency before moving back to Canada.

BC and Quebec consider DOs as CMG's. Others consider them IMG's. They used to be considered CMGs in Mannitoba and Ontario, but not anymore.
This is the site to check if anyone is interested: http://www.carms.ca/en/residency/r-1/eligibility-criteria/provincial-criteria/

Reactions: 1 users
BC and Quebec consider DOs as CMG's. Others consider them IMG's. They used to be considered CMGs in Mannitoba and Ontario, but not anymore.
This is the site to check if anyone is interested: http://www.carms.ca/en/residency/r-1/eligibility-criteria/provincial-criteria/
According to that source you provided it still says Ontario and Manitoba, as well as Alberta still consider them as CMGs, if they are Canadian citizens/PRs and if they meet provincial licensing eligibility. Now to meet Provincial eligibility one should take additional year or two of residency and/or pass one more exam here in Canada - but it still is possible. Am I wrong?