U. Tennessee- Memphis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irish Rose

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

Just curious if there were more people out there who have been accepted to UT Memphis, and are still waiting to hear from another school? In other words, how many folks are haning on to their UT acceptances, but looking elsewhere?

I would really appreciate the feedback. I am on the waitlist and just hoping to get an idea of how much movement to expect.

Thanks everyone!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am planning to attend UT-Memphis this fall. Good luck to you, please let me know how it goes. As far as the waitlist, do not worry, I had a friend that was accepted the day before orientation started. Good Luck,hope to see ya there.

Chewawa,

Congratulations to you!!:clap:

I heard that a large number of students were accepted from the waitlist last year, and I am very hopeful. I would really love to go. The instate tuition is so much more reasonable than many private schools, and the students seemed to really enjoy it.

If you don?t mind my asking, when did you interview & when did you receive your acceptance? Are you from TN?

Thank you & have a great summer

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Irish Rose,

I interviewed in November, and got my acceptance 2wks. later. I also forgot to mention to you that 80% of people in the previous class were put on the wait list so do not worry. It is very expensive to go to those private schools, in the preclinical years they are probably alot stronger, but I think the clinical years they are as equally good as UT, at least that is what I heard from the students, And the students also really enjoy training at the Regional Medical Center, you see a little bit of everything. In addition, I think UT students get pretty good matches. I am from Memphis, tn. :)

C'mon their has to be some more people on this network going to memphis!!!! I hope :rolleyes:

i'm on the waitlist! unfortunately, there is almost a 0% chance that i'm getting off of it. :(
i thought memphis was a very cool place. and to reiterate what chewawa wrote - last year, the waitlist moved a lot! i spoke with nelson strother, and he said that last year was a little atypical, and that some years they take hardly any one off. :scared: but i've heard that the waitlist this year is indeed moving. irish rose - have you called mr. strother? he was able to tell me where i was on the wait-list. good luck!!!

Hi guys! I am applying this year and would like any tidbits of information you can pass on. I have met Nelson, he comes to my school every year to speak with prospective students, and I do know most of the basic stuff but would like more insights from applicant point of view. I am a TN resident and would love to go to UT Memphis for school. How many schools did you guys apply to? any other schools friendly to Tennesseans? Thanks!

Originally posted by efex101
Hi guys! I am applying this year and would like any tidbits of information you can pass on. I have met Nelson, he comes to my school every year to speak with prospective students, and I do know most of the basic stuff but would like more insights from applicant point of view. I am a TN resident and would love to go to UT Memphis for school. How many schools did you guys apply to? any other schools friendly to Tennesseans? Thanks!

Nelson, is one of the nicest and coolest people. He never forgots your name. Keeping in touch with him is a very good idea. Although, he does not make the decisions, I think if he knows you really well and you truly show interest in the school, he will then put in a good word for you. I am sure he would deny this, but it is true. I also applied to EMory and Vandy. They were really good schools and looked very nice. But, since they are private schools they are very expensive. So, I refused acceptances from Emory and Vandy for UT, they gave me a very nice offer that I could not resist ($$$) . And, besides I am a Memphis girl, love the city. Out of the three places I interviewd UT was probably the most friendliest. Students at Vandy were extrememly nice also. AT emory I had a group interview which was kind of weird but it went well. but, if you read the interview feedback comments on UT, all you see is how relaxed the interview was at UT. Good Luck

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Mantra, how did you get in touch with Mr. Strother directly? Did you call the office and ask to speak to him? I have been in contact with Ms. Harris. She has been very nice and extremely helpful, but I am not exactly sure where I am on the list.

I applied to a large number of schools, primarily because I am slightly non-traditional. I graduated 4 yrs. ago & was a liberal arts major/ pre-med minor. I am currently waitlisted at 2 schools, UT & Meharry. I liked Meharry (and I am from Nashville), but the cost factor is a significant issue for me. I would truly have to consider it as a major factor in my decision if I were admitted to both. I do hope & pray to start this year, but I am truly dedicated to become a physician, so I would most certainly re-apply next year.

Good luck to everyone! I would love to hear from others on how they chose UT-Memphis. I believe the school deserves a great deal more recognition than it receives.
:)

Sorry- I just realized that the name was "manta"- soooo sorry!

Originally posted by Irish Rose

Good luck to everyone! I would love to hear from others on how they chose UT-Memphis. I believe the school deserves a great deal more recognition than it receives.
:)

I agree with you. Granted, it is not a "research oriented" school, but it does train great clinicians.

Hi guys,
I too will be attending UT-Memphis this fall, of the schools that I interviewed at the people there were very relaxed and friendly. You know you are choosing the right school when on interview day, the Dean spontaneously serenades the interviewees. I do have a question for you Chewawa. Since you live in Memphis, what part of town do you reccomend living in. I recently went out there again and looked in the Cordova area. My additional consideration is that I have to find a school for my daughter.

DaDa

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DaDa
Hi guys,
I too will be attending UT-Memphis this fall, of the schools that I interviewed at the people there were very relaxed and friendly. You know you are choosing the right school when on interview day, the Dean spontaneously serenades the interviewees. I do have a question for you Chewawa. Since you live in Memphis, what part of town do you reccomend living in. I recently went out there again and looked in the Cordova area. My additional consideration is that I have to find a school for my daughter.

DaDa

I just sent you a PM;)

Thanks Chewawa,

I sent you one back

DaDa

Irish Rose - I called the office directly and was able to get him on the phone immediately - (901) 448-5559.

Good luck!

I was becoming convinced that there were no other Memphians on SDN.
I agree - UT Memphis doesn't get the credit it deserves; the experience student gain during clinical rotations is pretty amazing...hard to beat, really.

When did you graduate from high school, chewawa?

Originally posted by Asclepius
I was becoming convinced that there were no other Memphians on SDN.
I agree - UT Memphis doesn't get the credit it deserves; the experience student gain during clinical rotations is pretty amazing...hard to beat, really.

When did you graduate from high school, chewawa?

I graduated from highschool in 1998, and I graduated college 2002.

Hey all
I have heard good things from UT-Memphis students from all years. The general consensus is that it is hard(duh) but that the school takes good care of the students and they get more hands on work and knowledge because of The Med. Its something like the 2nd or 3rd busiest hospital in the country and there is plenty of pathology in Memphis. Being from Memphis, its the perfect fit for me. Besides the school, downtown Memphis is a ton of fun, the bbq is amazing, the cost of living is cheap and Tunica is 45 minutes away. Thats hard to beat. See yall in a few months.

Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to add my moniker to the list of people headed to the banks of the mighty Mississippi this fall. I interviewed in Dec. and was notified of acceptance a couple weeks later, whereupon I withdrew everywhere else. You just can't beat that in-state tuition and high volume of hands-on experience.

Looking forward to meeting y'all in August! ;)

I was accepted off the wait list a few weeks ago, and will be starting in the fall.

Just checking to see how many more students are going to UT-Memphis in Aug. or are still waiting to hear.

Take care everyone!

Originally posted by Irish Rose
Just checking to see how many more students are going to UT-Memphis in Aug. or are still waiting to hear.

Take care everyone!

Hi Irish Rose,

Did you hear anything yet? I wish you luck.

I was accepted last year to the 2003 entering class. I delayed until this year, the 2004 class, so I could finish my sneior year at Clemson U. and work for a year as a paramedic. I'm so excited!!! I can't wait for next fall. Last year I was accepted off the waiting list. Nelson called me around the middle of may to tell me I got in. That was a good day. I was in the ER when he called and had just brought in a cardiac arrest that we got a pulse back on ( so far that has been my only "save") I'm heading down to memphis sometime in the spring to go apartment hunting. I heard Mud Island was a good place. If anyone has any ideas let me know. I'm from Chattanooga, so I'm coming from this side of the state. If anyone has any questions about applying to UT memphis, just ask.

Matt
NREMT-Paramedic
UT Memphis class of 2008

did strother tell anyone how many people were on the waitlist for memphis?