UCB 3.4/3.5; chance at UCSD? + apply this cycle or invest in masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostnconfused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where I stand now:
- UCB B.A. in a social science
- Overall GPA: 3.5, science GPA: 3.38
- Postbach: Currently taking 3 science courses at a state university
- Hoping to boost my science GPA to 3.4-3.45 by summer
- MCAT: Taking in July (assuming 32-35 range if going by old scale)

Experience:
- 2 years of research
- Started volunteering at UCD Medical Center last November
- Currently being trained to become a hospice volunteer and scribe (both will probably start by April)
- Tutor/work with children with special needs (ADHD, autism, anger management)
- Hoping to do a surgical internship this summer

How are my chances as of right now? I currently reside in California and my top choice right now include UCSD, UCD and NYU, although I definitely would consider all other UCs and schools on the east coast within my range.

I recently got accepted into SFSU's stem cell research masters program and SDSU's biology masters program.

So I'm wondering if I should...
- Apply this cycle and continue to volunteer/work for a year as a scribe?
- Or invest in two years in pursuing a masters in stem cell or molecular biology?

I think if I apply this cycle, I'll be alright in terms of getting into at least one medical school. But what do you think my chances of getting into UCSD and UCD are?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Might be difficult considering that most applicants will that will be accepted will have higher GPA. However, that isnt the only factor when making decisions. You have decent activities. If you don't mind getting into any medical school then do not do a masters. But again there is no guarantee that you will get into UCSD or UCD with a masters. I recommend to apply broadly and move on to medical without taking another year off

Reactions: 1 users
Might be difficult considering that most applicants will that will be accepted will have higher GPA. However, that isnt the only factor when making decisions. You have decent activities. If you don't mind getting into any medical school then do not do a masters. But again there is no guarantee that you will get into UCSD or UCD with a masters. I recommend to apply broadly and move on to medical without taking another year off
Very good point. Master programs have a rep. for inflated GPA. Plus it's two more years of academia and possible loans. It's definitely something I want to avoid if possible.

But I am also aware that my GPA seem to be on the lower end for UCSD.

I wish there was a spread sheet or something that showed acceptance rate broken down by GPA and MCAT for each medical schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your app should be tailored more towards mid-low tier MD with some DO schools with 3.5/510. You might have a shot at the mid-tier UCs if you can break 516. UCSD is a reach, but there's a possibility if you can land a score like that.

Very good point. Master programs have a rep. for inflated GPA. Plus it's two more years of academia and possible loans. It's definitely something I want to avoid if possible.

But I am also aware that my GPA seem to be on the lower end for UCSD.

I wish there was a spread sheet or something that showed acceptance rate broken down by GPA and MCAT for each medical schools.
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/msar/

make an excel from the info here

MSAR only shows the 10th-90th percentile for each school though, correct? It doesn't show that i.e. 10% of students with a 3.2 GPA and 33 MCAT were admitted.
You get all the info (including medians) when you invest the 35 bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think he meant a school-specific version of table 25, which to my knowledge isn't publicly available

Reactions: 1 user
Keep in mind, California schools are extremely competitive.

At the moment, I see two problems: 1) your GPA is on the lower side for California schools and 2) you haven't taken the MCAT yet.
If you really want a better chance with the Californian MD schools, I'd take the extra gap year to get the MCAT down and to work on improving the GPA.
You'll also have more time to gain meaningful insights from your new scribing and hospice work, which will come in handy for your primary, secondaries, and interviews.

I wouldn't rush to apply. I've seen too many of my friends make that mistake where they end up having to re-apply because they didn't put their 100% into their application the first time around. And your chances do seem to be a lot lower if you're a re-applicant, so you wanna get it right the first time.

Just my two cents. Good luck!