UCHICAGO Peds program will view STEP 1 scores as PASS/FAIL during THIS interview season!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stilla7238

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Per a peds resident currently at UChicago and also a GROUP ME I frequent, as the title states, they'll be viewing STEP 1 as only pass/fail due to COVID and the BLM things that happened prior to this cycle. STEP 2 scores will be "viewed," but won't play a role in interview selections. Moreover, other programs in the hospital are deciding if they want to follow their lead.

If this is 100% true as the resident told me they haven't announced it yet, I'd be pissed just because it's so late in the game to all of a sudden change the rules. What does STEP1 have to do with COVID?? I hope other programs don't follow this path.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
There are no "rules" per se, it's their program so they can select to interview based on alphabetical order of names or astrological signs if they so choose to.

I understand the worry though. Since Step 1 p/f is coming soon, programs may wish to implement their new selection systems sooner than later in order to get in front of the change. As someone with a good step score, I can only hope that other programs in other specialties choose to delay their new methodologies for at least this cycle.

Reactions: 6 users
Makes zero sense to do this because of COVID or BLM as these things were far removed from when this class took step 1. That's just the university pandering to the political climate and trying to get a leg up. I get if they want to start viewing it as pass/fail since they'll have to do that in the future, but seems like doing it now would just handicap them unnecessarily. It's already tough enough to figure out who to interview and rank, especially when interviews are virtual this year and you can't get a feel for people. Seems like a year when you would want to rely more on numbers than ever before.

It doesn't matter if it's far removed from when the class took it, it matters for the composition of the incoming class and getting their political affirmation points now. I can imagine some PDs (though not a majority) do believe that board scores don't matter for anything in selecting for residents and recent politics, COVID, and determination that step 1 p/f will be official will push them to start putting their money where their mouth is sooner than later.

Also, UChicago, at least the undergrad institution (idk how much connection they have with the medical school/residencies), has a tendency to be light-years ahead of the curve in changing selection criteria (see undergrad essays, making SAT/ACTs optional). It's a possibility that it's an institution-specific line of thinking.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Per a peds resident currently at UChicago and also a GROUP ME I frequent, as the title states, they'll be viewing STEP 1 as only pass/fail due to COVID and the BLM things that happened prior to this cycle. STEP 2 scores will be "viewed," but won't play a role in interview selections. Moreover, other programs in the hospital are deciding if they want to follow their lead.

So why view them? That doesn't even make any sense. What are they gonna do, play eeny meeny miny moe with a bucket of apps?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
So why view them? That doesn't even make any sense. What are they gonna do, play eeny meeny miny moe with a bucket of apps?

They're going to tally the number of superlatives you get in third year. Good = 0 points, Very good = 1 point, extremely ****ing good = 2 points, excellent = 3 points, Outstanding = 4 points, Gorgeous = 5 points, Exquisite = 6 points

Reactions: 8 users
Things I don't get: doctors on twitter advocating for step scores to be P/F then getting mad that people have so many research projects
like what metric are people going to get evaluated. it just maeks more room for nepotism

Reactions: 7 users
Is this a competitive program?

Reactions: 1 users
Things I don't get: doctors on twitter advocating for step scores to be P/F then getting mad that people have so many research projects
like what metric are people going to get evaluated. it just maeks more room for nepotism
It makes sense from the standpoint of injustice. The career of a brilliant HMS student can be derailed just because of a 220, forcing them into mid-tier ortho

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
It makes sense from the standpoint of injustice. The career of a brilliant HMS student can be derailed just because of a 220, forcing them into mid-tier ortho
Dear god. They may end up in the same OR as someone who went to *gasps dramatically* a state school!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Haha I know you’re joking but just in case anybody seriously holds this view: that’s the point of a standardized, objective test. If you get a 220 you’re no longer brilliant, just an HMS student lol.

Honestly step was the way for people from state schools to get into competitive specialties and great programs of non competitive specialties. Its interesting how that’s going to change.

Haha I know you’re joking but just in case anybody seriously holds this view: that’s the point of a standardized, objective test. If you get a 220 you’re no longer brilliant, just an HMS student lol.

Honestly step was the way for people from state schools to get into competitive specialties and great programs of non competitive specialties. Its interesting how that’s going to change.
Don't think it reflects on their intellect necessarily though lol. I mean if I was at a top 5 I wouldn't waste my time studying for a higher score

Agreed

Reactions: 1 user

Yup. Guess who makes the rules? The people who went to the top medical schools, because those are the only people who can make it to the top of an organization. Guess who benefits the most from these changes? People at the top medical schools.

Yup. Guess who makes the rules? The people who went to the top medical schools, because those are the only people who can make it to the top of an organization. Guess who benefits the most from these changes? People at the top medical schools.
bUt StEp DoMiNaTeS tHe LeArNiNg PrOcESs

Reactions: 8 users
It’s peds
Who cares. There’s an abundance of spots at any number of good programs

Reactions: 5 users
It’s peds
Who cares. There’s an abundance of spots at any number of good programs
Came in to the thread to say this and your post was the first to pop up

Reactions: 2 users

If this is 100% true as the resident told me they haven't announced it yet, I'd be pissed just because it's so late in the game to all of a sudden change the rules. What does STEP1 have to do with COVID?? I hope other programs don't follow this path.
Perhaps they meant this is how they'll view Step I when it's time for the Class of 2022 to apply to residency? They're the ones affected by COVID-19, not the current MS4s, unless they do mean Step 2.

Suggest not fussing about this until you hear what UC has to say.

This doesn't seem significant coming from a peds program. All you have to do to match peds anyways is pass.

Reactions: 2 users
The concern is if the top peds programs (that average over 250 on Step 1) suddenly did this, what would they then look at? Some of us focused a ton on step 1 in preclinical to hopefully get into a top peds program.

They're gonna do a "holistic" review, whatever that means.

Reactions: 1 user
They're gonna do a "holistic" review, whatever that means.
Your name (if recognize-able in a good way)
Your photo
Your school’s name
Your letter writer’s names
CK score/Research/ECs

Reactions: 1 users