Uci

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hastalamalaika

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there with any info (interviewed, rotated, current residents, etc) on California-Irvine? General opinions, strong/weak points, benefits/drawbacks would be great. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Did Ultrasound there for 1 month (GREAT ROTATION if you get the chance)...

Pros: Nice ED, good ancillary staff, everyone is friendly. Fair amount of trauma, but moslty blunt. Decent pathology.
Cons: Can get kind of quiet at times (can also be seen as a pro--depending), ED only does airway. One of the attendings flat out told me that although they liked me and I would fit in well over there, they don't take DO's :confused:

ALSO check out Scutwork.com they have some pretty good evals of UCI on there.

Good Luck,
FG

Yo hasta

I did the Regular EM rotation (not US) and will be going there next year. Pros as was mentioned above, plus it's 3 yrs (that's a plus to me, may not be to you), it's in BEAUTIFUL PART OF SO-CAL, , lots of research opps if you're into that sorta thing. Probably most important thing for me when I did my rotation was that I felt that the residency had a real family-like atmosphere. The group seemed very tight-knit, and all seemed to like joking around and having a good time, especially the PD who is awesome.
Cons - It ain't gonna be County or Harbor, so if you like seeing a lot of penetratings, this is not the place. I only saw a couple of stabbings in the month that I was there. Personally that's enough for me, but again it depends on you. Also, it's a small program only 6 per year so less buffer-zone if you get a wierdo, but i think that also gives it the tight family feeling that i mentioned.
Sorry, this ended up much longer than I intended. Anyhow hope it helps!