UCLA letters sent out--Check Status Page

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to you too, axeon123! Did you get a status page change?

Yup, the date for final decision letter was changed, and they sent me an email about the criminal background check.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations! =) That's great! Hmm, do you think we were in the same interview group? haha. I interviewed on Thursday, Jan 3.

jan 8.
not the same grp, but we will be in the same class!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been trying to call the admissions office and the phone just keeps ringing... do you think that means they're closed?

I've been trying to call the admissions office and the phone just keeps ringing... do you think that means they're closed?

I think it's because of the letters they sent out this week and all the applicants wanting to find out their status also...

The class of 2008 Hippocratic oath ceremony/graduation was today. The admissions office probably closed early.

the waitlist sure looks to be moving fast, yay!! Gluck to us all...

does anyone know how often the admissions committee meet or when the next batch of acceptances are sent out?

I don't know Mona Lisa, but I sure would like to! I tried calling again yesterday on my lunch break(I have to make sure they have my update letter) and again it just kept ringing. I'm starting to think that they're screening my phone calls... or maybe they were just eating lunch too : )

I don't know Mona Lisa, but I sure would like to! I tried calling again yesterday on my lunch break(I have to make sure they have my update letter) and again it just kept ringing. I'm starting to think that they're screening my phone calls... or maybe they were just eating lunch too : )

I am sure they were at lunch break or something...........but it wouldn't hurt calling from a restricted number;)

I finally got through!
I told them I knew the waitlist had already started moving a little, and then asked her when she thinks more acceptences will be sent out. She said probably more towards the middle of the month.

Next, I asked her if the class would be considered full if all the people who were recently offered acceptences off the waitlist accepted, and she said yes, the class would be considered temporarily full.

So ...if your doubting ucla feel free to withdraw because I really want to go there!!!

I withdrew the other day, so there should be at least one spot open. Good luck to all of you guys waiting to hear. I live about 5 minutes from campus and it's an amazing place to go to school. I'm sure I'll be missing the four years of pass/fail two years from now when I begin my third year.

i was put on the waitlist in beginning of May. I called the admissions office yesterday to check my status. the nice lady said that we should expect most of the activity in middle of this month.

Members don't see this ad :)
Called yesterday about the waiting list. They said we should be hearing in the next two weeks. I asked either way, even a rejection? They said they basically know who they're accepting and who they're not at this point.

Called yesterday about the waiting list. They said we should be hearing in the next two weeks. I asked either way, even a rejection? They said they basically know who they're accepting and who they're not at this point.

how could they know who they are accepting and who they are not if the accepted students are still waiting to here from their first choice schools and possibly withdrawing in june or july??

Did anyone get a letter this week?

how could they know who they are accepting and who they are not if the accepted students are still waiting to here from their first choice schools and possibly withdrawing in june or july??

I called the office today, 6/9/08 and got a similar response as did koolbeenz - I should be hearing from them within a week or two, almost for sure by the last week of June. From speaking with them, I get the impression that they have a good idea of who they are going to be accepting, and it seems they can do this because this year has had slow waitlist movement compared to last year (from reading threads) which means we're dealing with a few # of spots for the entire class (that's just my speculation).

but it seems from previous threads that people on the waitlist that did not hear back were assumed rejected unless notified otherwise...only those that saw a status change or received some notification were accepted., i dont recall anyone getting notification of rejection after the waitlist (i might be wrong). so do you think if he said you should hear back in the next few days he might be indicating that its good news? (im being optimistic here).

but it seems from previous threads that people on the waitlist that did not hear back were assumed rejected unless notified otherwise...only those that saw a status change or received some notification were accepted., i dont recall anyone getting notification of rejection after the waitlist (i might be wrong). so do you think if he said you should hear back in the next few days he might be indicating that its good news? (im being optimistic here).

no i think he meant, if you don't get a status update within next two weeks, that means it is bad news. The admissions office told bunch of ppl they would hear back next week or two w/o checking their applications. So i doubt you could just assume it's good news since they never checked the apps. Good luck!

You're right that in previous years people that heard back were the ones to be accpeted - so maybe you're right, and I'll hear some good new soon.

I had read koolbeenz's post before calling in, and when the admissions person told me that I'd hear back in a week or so, koolbeenz's post just made a lot of sense to me - it looks like they know who has chances of getting in, and who doesn't, probably because there's only a couple of spots. My admission situation is time sensitive because I will be matriculating early at another school; so, what the counselor didn't say was, "congrats you're in," but, "yea... you'll be hearing from us in a couple weeks," and that's not reassuring knowing that they know I need to find out if I'm getting in soon because I'm close to the matriculation deadline for the other school. So yea, I'd like to be optimistic, but that's hard to do.

If everyone in this thread starts calling and everyone is told they'll be hearing back in a couple of weeks, I don't think that's a good sign because not everyone is going to be accepted. So far, one other person and myself have recieved that same response. Let's see if others do as well.

I also called in and the nice ao lady gave me the same reply: you'll hear back in 1-2 weeks.
Do you think they might be selecting students who sent in letters of intent? I think this would provide them with the confidence to say that "they basically know who they'll be accepting".

I also called in and the nice ao lady gave me the same reply: you'll hear back in 1-2 weeks.
Do you think they might be selecting students who sent in letters of intent? I think this would provide them with the confidence to say that "they basically know who they'll be accepting".

Interesting theory :) .... afterall, the waitlist is unranked, so its not like they can be dropping "lower ranked" applicants. There are obviously preferences for one applicant or another, and that's how applicants have come off the waitlist in the past weeks. Can an LOI make one applicant be prefered over another? Not impossible, but I really wouldn't know.

well, did they first ask for your amcas id or not when they told you you would hear back in 1-2 weeks? when i called and asked he said something along the lines of "hrm, what is your amcas id number and ill check...... okay, you should hear back in 1-2 weeks". but if this is the same response given to all applicants regardless of initial inquiry of amcas id, then i think it is the case that that is a general response to everyone. and yes, only those that actually hear back (not everyone) will probably be accepted then.

well, did they first ask for your amcas id or not when they told you you would hear back in 1-2 weeks? when i called and asked he said something along the lines of "hrm, what is your amcas id number and ill check...... okay, you should hear back in 1-2 weeks". but if this is the same response given to all applicants regardless of initial inquiry of amcas id, then i think it is the case that that is a general response to everyone. and yes, only those that actually hear back (not everyone) will probably be accepted then.

For what it's worth, when I called, he said I should hear back within one to two weeks without knowing my AAMC ID. After talking with him some more, he asked for my ID, and I gave it to him. He said I should hear back within 1-2 weeks. My thoughts? I don't think it matters whether they check your file because they're saying 1-2 weeks either way. It's frustrating too. I know when I see a status change, I'll be thrilled....until I remember that they're implying they're sending out rejection letters too.

With and without an AAMC ID, they've told me 1-2 weeks. I'm pretty sure this is a generic response and I highly doubt they will be sending rejection letters this early in the game. how would that behoove them? It would only be putting us out of our misery and perhaps freeup their telephone lines. Also, they have to keep a few waitlisters in their pocket just in case there's a dropout. Nothing is guaranteed until school starts.
Anyhow, I'm sure this has been way overthought and I should stop the insanity before I lose any more of my marbles. Good luck everybody =)

i think its BS for us to be strung on so long. i mean, for the schools starting end of july/beginning august, matriculants must already be looking for apts and signing leases, not to mention putting down deposits; we cant be looking for apts 2 weeks before medical school starts if we're still waiting on a waitlist for another school. if they dont let us know until end of june or even beginning of july, many of us may have already made the apartment and financial commitments to other schools already!! i just need some closure :).

anyways, what would happen if you did get a lease somewhere else and suddenly got accepted into UCLA? would you then have to find a sublet for that apartment potentially in another faraway state and then move to LA? what're you guys' thoughts?

i mean, for the schools starting end of july/beginning august, matriculants must already be looking for apts and signing leases, not to mention putting down deposits; we cant be looking for apts 2 weeks before medical school starts if we're still waiting on a waitlist for another school. if they dont let us know until end of june or even beginning of july, many of us may have already made the apartment and financial commitments to other schools already!! i just need some closure :).

anyways, what would happen if you did get a lease somewhere else and suddenly got accepted into UCLA? would you then have to find a sublet for that apartment potentially in another faraway state and then move to LA? what're you guys' thoughts?

I know what you mean, since I'm in at another school I really love that starts late July, but I don't want to give up my shot at UCLA. Basically my plan is a stall pattern on looking for housing for the other school until early July. I figure that based on UCLA wait list history, etc. if nothing happens for me off the waitlist by the end of this month, it is highly unlikely that it will happen period. Who knows though. As hard as this whole process is, I'm staying hopeful on the wait list and trying not to get too worried about where I'd live, finance stuff, etc. unitl I'm actually in the spot to make that decision (i.e. actually get offered a spot from the wait list). :luck: to us all waiting and that we can enjoy the summer!

i think its BS for us to be strung on so long. i mean, for the schools starting end of july/beginning august, matriculants must already be looking for apts and signing leases, not to mention putting down deposits; we cant be looking for apts 2 weeks before medical school starts if we're still waiting on a waitlist for another school. if they dont let us know until end of june or even beginning of july, many of us may have already made the apartment and financial commitments to other schools already!! i just need some closure :).

I totally know what you mean...I could be in D.C. after driving all my stuff out from AZ, get an acceptence form ucla and then have to unpack and turn myself around! Which I would do in a heartbeat, but it would be very difficult! I'm trying to wait to sign a lease on housing in D.C. (I'm going to georgetown if I don't get into ucla) but it's becoming really difficult...

im definitely stalling too, but come july i will have given up hope

One of my classmates was accepted 2 days before orientation!

One of my classmates was accepted 2 days before orientation!

my friend from ucla class of 2010 said some ppl from her class are from the hold list, with that in mind and what UCLAstudent just told us, i think the circumstances this year are much different from previous years specifically i think the CBT made the applicant pool peak this year and UCLA is now a top 10 school no one seems to want to withdraw, I think ppl getting in from the hold list and ppl gettin off the WL a few days before school start is very very slim, i've already kind of gave up =/ this whole process is very draining and also very random

How many people do they normally place on the waiting list? Any ideas on how many people they have left on the waiting list?

Is the waitlist really unranked?

How many people do they normally place on the waiting list? Any ideas on how many people they have left on the waiting list?

Is the waitlist really unranked?

when i called the office about a month ago, the nice lady said that there are about a hundred students on the waitlist. i don't know how many are accepted and how many withdrew.

I just got status change that a final decision letter was sent today. I don't know if that's good or bad news! I'm hoping good!!!!!! Does anyone know if they're rejecting from the waitlist?

I just got status change that a final decision letter was sent today. I don't know if that's good or bad news! I'm hoping good!!!!!! Does anyone know if they're rejecting from the waitlist?

I am sure its good news. congrats!!!

did u send LOI, LOR or any other updates while u were waitlisted??

congrats doc andy!! If you're anxious to know what the letter says you can probably call to find out. On last year's thread ppl called when they got a status change and they told them they were accepted on the phone! Anyone else got a status change?? none here...

Congrats doc andy, are you considering any other schools that might be better than UCLA?

Called the admissions office today:
Q1: ancipate any waitlist movement ?
A1: class is full for now but the committee should meet up in mid-june
Q2: Any truth to the rumor that UCLA might be sending rejection letters to waitlisters?
A2: no, we will retain everyone on the waitlist until school starts on August 4th

So here's my story to answer some of your questions:

I interviewed 11/16 and was waitlisted 3/18 with that huge waitlist batch that was sent out. My interview was basically a letter of intent as I told my interviewer that UCLA was my top choice. I sent sort of an LOI when I mailed in my letter accepting my position on the waitlist. Basically it said that UCLA is still my top choice for med school, as I had told my interviewer. I also sent in a transcript for a grades update, an e-mail update that I got departmental citation (I'm graduating tomorrow), and then I had an additional LOR sent by an MD/PhD who teaches at the UCD Med School. That LOR didn't arrive until late last week, so I don't know how much it affected the outcome. After my status change, I called the admissions office and was told "well, I can't exactly say over the phone, but you will be very happy at the end of the week."

I was previously admitted to Wake Forest and was waitlisted at UCLA, UCI, UCSD, Duke, and Vanderbilt.

BTW, thanks for all the congratulations everybody. And good luck to all of you!

Congrats Doc Andy! I'm super happy for you.. and only a tiny bit jealous.. but I hope this means there will be more waitlist movement soon! Yay for the rest of us!

So I'm kind of losing hope... and REALLY starting to stress about finding housing all the way across the country for the school I will attend bc I probably won't be getting into ucla. anyone else?? Maybe once I finally give up hope I'll get in??? That might be my new tactic...

So I'm kind of losing hope... and REALLY starting to stress about finding housing all the way across the country for the school I will attend bc I probably won't be getting into ucla. anyone else?? Maybe once I finally give up hope I'll get in??? That might be my new tactic...

i lost hope a while ago. I have already started looking for housing, but I am excited....we are going to be DOCTORSSSSSS.........

Don't stress, and of course as I'm saying this I'm stressing. But, nonetheless, don't stress. If it comes it comes, and if not at least you still have another school. In the end, it won't make much difference where you go to school. And like everyone keeps saying, we're going to be doctors!

Cowgirl in CA got accepted off the waitlist today... I saw it on the official waitlist movement thread... just to let everyone know! So Congrats Cowgirl!! You certainly have a big decision ahead of you... and you know all of us would be thrilled if you pick loyolla, but either way, that's awesome!!! Oh and did you have a status change online?

Cowgirl got in on the 13th, she just posted it today.

Our chances are getting bleaker :(

Anybody called or heard anything lately about the waitlist movement...?