UCLA letters sent out--Check Status Page

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called the office mid last week and they sounded so certain that I would hear something back by the end of that week... and of course no news... I've learned not to take them seriously anymore...

So I have a hypothesis, let me know what you think. They've told us that nobody on the waitlist gets rejected until classes begin in August. And they tell us on the phone that we should hear back soon... this must mean that we're going to be accepted since the only change from a waitlist is an acceptance? I certainly hope so. I just hope it's not some general response that they give everybody and that they actually look you up before telling you that...

Members don't see this ad.

well..on june 13, i was told be glad you got in somewhere else because the waitlist is moving veeerrrrry slowly. i didn't tell them what my name or id was.. this is just what they told me.

sooo..people who were told they would hear back perhaps could be in for good news!

well..on june 13, i was told be glad you got in somewhere else because the waitlist is moving veeerrrrry slowly. i didn't tell them what my name or id was.. this is just what they told me.

sooo..people who were told they would hear back perhaps could be in for good news!

That made me chuckle...I highly doubt that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called today and said I'm on the waiting list for this fall and I have a few questions..
reply: Okay, there's been some movement, but it's moving slowly, and we expect it to continue moving slowly until the first week of August when school starts.
me: Oh okay, and do you expect any movement soon?
reply: I have no idea, there's no way of knowing.

She didn't ask for my id number, but she might have used caller id so I'm not sure if she knew who I was. I guess we can be glad that it's still moving!

I called today and said I'm on the waiting list for this fall and I have a few questions..
reply: Okay, there's been some movement, but it's moving slowly, and we expect it to continue moving slowly until the first week of August when school starts.
me: Oh okay, and do you expect any movement soon?
reply: I have no idea, there's no way of knowing.

She didn't ask for my id number, but she might have used caller id so I'm not sure if she knew who I was. I guess we can be glad that it's still moving!

doubt it

Does anyone know how many are left on the waitlist? I'm guessing at least 70.

Does anyone know how many are left on the waitlist? I'm guessing at least 70.

I called. She she said the waitlist is not moving at all and there are about 100 people on the waitlist. Bye Bye UCLA

I was looking at the ucsf page and it looks like someone got in there on monday and could be dropping their position at ucla. So there could be one more spot open!

And I know there's been about 1000 ppl complaining about contradicting information but I'd also like to pitch in... I can't believe they would tell me 'the waitlist is still moving, but slowly...' and then tell someone else 'its not moving at all.' It's so frustrating!!!

UCLA doesn't have a lot of waitlist movement b/c it's quite apparent that ucla's admissions staff always seems to take a large body of students who don't get into other comparably ranked schools, meaning once these students are offered an admission, they usually don't let go b/c there's nowhere else better to go. Sure there are a few who also get into say ucsf, stanford, ucsd, uchicago, etc. to make their decision a little more challenging, but the majority who get into LA have other choices like suny stony brook, nymc, etc. I find this quite odd, but the trend is very apparent. I think anyone in that position would choose la over another school that isn't even in the same tier as la. This is my theory on one of the many reasons why la's waitlist doesn't move much.

UCLA doesn't have a lot of waitlist movement b/c it's quite apparent that ucla's admissions staff always seems to take a large body of students who don't get into other comparably ranked schools, meaning once these students are offered an admission, they usually don't let go b/c there's nowhere else better to go. Sure there are a few who also get into say ucsf, stanford, ucsd, uchicago, etc. to make their decision a little more challenging, but the majority who get into LA have other choices like suny stony brook, nymc, etc. I find this quite odd, but the trend is very apparent. I think anyone in that position would choose la over another school that isn't even in the same tier as la. This is my theory on one of the many reasons why la's waitlist doesn't move much.

Speaking from firsthand experience, this is simply not true. For one thing, there's no way for UCLA to know where applicants have been accepted until after May 15. If your scenario were the case, UCLA would have to wait until May 15 before accepting people. Also, even if there were a way to know where people have been accepted, why would UCLA "settle" for applicants who were only accepted to lower tier schools? It's a top 10 school and wants to compete for the best applicants possible. Lastly, several people in my class were accepted to more highly ranked schools and chose UCLA because of the curriculum, location, family, and/or other factors. And just to clarify, waitlist DOES move (up to 50% of previous classes has been drawn from the waitlist) --- it may be that UCLA is more desirable this year because it took a jump in the rankings.

Anyway, good luck to everyone who is still waiting! :)

Thanks for the info UCLAstudent. Just out of curiosity, do you report what is said on this thread to admissions?

did ANYBODY who was told that they would hear back in a couple of weeks ever receive any thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
did ANYBODY who was told that they would hear back in a couple of weeks ever receive any thing?

nope, they lied...but who is surprised? not me

anyone still has hope left? i have given up.

I'll wait around for another couple of weeks for UCLA. If not, then its bye-bye California.

SUNY Upstate 2012!!

Last edited:
Hey guys, anyone know the contact information of a current UCLA med student? I have a few questions and I am deciding whether I should attend. Send me a PM if you go there or have an email address of someone you met at the interview that was willing to answer questions.

Thanks!

Orientation starts August 4th. I live in LA and I fly out for my current school August 5th. Not that I'm clinging on to any hope or anything either.

I can't believe there's been no report of waitlist movement since early June... I wonder what's going on.

I called today because I had the transcript issue too.

They want the transcript at some point if you are accepted. The decision (a/w/r) is made independent of your transcript, unless you submit your transcript as an update for your file.

Therefore, if you haven't heard back yet and you didn't give them your Fall Quarter/Semester grades (via e-mail or snailmail), then you can give it to them as an update. However, they said its unlikely if you are submitting an official transcript that it will affect any decision that is being made by March 15th.

Hope this helps!

Sorry to bump this dead thread, but can anyone who got accepted to UCLA for 2008 confirm that the transcripts do not need to be sent in before the final decision is made? What if I don't want to send in my transcript as an update :rolleyes:?

you need to send in your transcript when you interview with them, that i do know.