UCSD vs UCI for pre-med

boba96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am conflicted on which to choose for undergrad. Which will give me more research opportunities and make me a better applicant for medical school? In addition, which has better pre-med advisors? Also, if I attend UCI I will dorm. However, if I attend UCSD, I will live with a family member so UCSD would be the better choice financially. However, will not dorming serve as a disadvantage to me as a pre - med?

Members don't see this ad.

Either school is fine and both schools have students who do well in med school.
Living in a dorm is usually a good way to meet people around campus and experience college life, but living with family to keep costs down has its own advantages. That choice is up to you and depends on your own situation.

Moving to hSDN as OP is still in HS.

Reactions: 1 users
Ucsd. Nuff said

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't matter so I would go with the one that is better financially

UCSD, because 4 years in San Diego is hard to beat.

Reactions: 1 user
I am conflicted on which to choose for undergrad. Which will give me more research opportunities and make me a better applicant for medical school? In addition, which has better pre-med advisors? Also, if I attend UCI I will dorm. However, if I attend UCSD, I will live with a family member so UCSD would be the better choice financially. However, will not dorming serve as a disadvantage to me as a pre - med?

Could be advantageous if you have driven roommates who can also have fun. Can be disadvantaged if you have roommates who continuously throw parties are get you to go to parties even during midterms.

As a UCSD student I can tell you now that we do not have a "pre med" advisor. We do have multiple orgs that are very pre-health oriented and the opportunities are endless with having a great medical/pharm/biomedical program, but we do not have someone to track your position in delegating your pre med duties.

UCSD is great because of the research opportunities (La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, Salk, Sanford-Burham, Biosciences). You can walk to the beach and surf. Most of the fun stuff is a bus trip away (pacific beach, downtown).

Also Lolitas, the best Carne Asada Fries ever. :D