UCSF 2011-2012 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
according to a new survey released today, the most expensive place to live today is in SAN FRANCISCO!!!!
"
New Yorkers may be famous for complaints about the city's outrageous rents, but the Big Apple isn't the least affordable city in the country, according to a new survey.

In fact, it's not even in the top 10. Neither is star-studded Los Angeles.

Instead, the highest rents are found in San Francisco, California, where a two-bedroom apartment costs an average of $1,905 a month."

$1905 for a 2br is really cheap in SF....unfortunately, it's more like $2200-$2800 :(

Members don't see this ad.

To those of you who have submitted your deposit and SLR, have any of you gotten your student account activation in the mail yet? I'm kind of confused about the student account. Is it the same thing as the MyAccess account we set up for financial aid or something totally different?

I haven't gotten anything yet. I think it's a different system than MyAccess.

Wow, accepted! E-mail came at 2:37pm today (for those of you, like myself, who have been checking e-mail constantly each day this week). I'm a slightly older student and almost wanted to not be accepted here so I could finish a year sooner at a three year university. I went in practically trying not to like the interview day and looking for negatives, but it was done so well and my interviewers were incredible. I'll talk this over with my wife, but I don't see myself passing up this opportunity. I was really impressed by the student body of both the current and prospective students at the interview. I'm really looking forward to this! Good luck to everyone, I really hope I get to see some of those prospective students I met on Feburary 10th this Fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my email acceptance as well! Time stamped at 2:43pm! I'm so excited!

I interviewed 02/04/2012 and received an offer of admission today at 2:37PM. See you in the fall! ^_^

Interviewed on 2/10 and got acceptance email today. Life is sweet! Yay go class of 2016! <(&#65507;&#65078;&#65507;)> []~(&#65507;&#9661;&#65507;)~* (&#65507;&#65103;&#65507;) (&#65507;&#711;&#65507;)

heyyy guysss. i was wondering if you guys have any opinions about ucsd vs ucsf?

For UCSD, I believe their class size is composed of only 60 students as opposed to UCSF 122 students. If you like smaller learning environment, than UCSD has one of the best class sizes.

During your P2 year, UCSD has their pharmacy students take classes with their medical students, which means you get insights on both professions.

Both UCSD's and UCSF's curriculum are very clinical based. UCSD has many biotech/pharmaceutical companies around the area and so does UCSF so you can intern .

Anyone else still waiting for a response from UCSF? I can't wait for the weekend to be over!! haha

I'm still waiting for a response!! At least we can take a break from refreshing our email every 2 minutes since the weekend is here. But we shall continue the email refreshing come Monday, lol.

Hi everyone. I interviewed on 2/10 and just got my rejection email today at 3:09 PM. Good luck everyone! I'm off to USC :)

I've received my acceptance email today! SO HAPPY AND EXCITED :love:

Got my rejection at 2:39 pm today. A little disappointed... it might have had something to do with my essay (I had a few grammar errors and incorrect info on the history of democracy lol)

But Congrats to those who have gotten acceptances and good luck to those still waiting!!!

I'm also slightly relieved because I was worried I'd have to choose between UCSD and UCSF... now I don't have to decide lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted yesterday! (friday) I am so excited to attend UCSF!! This has been my dream school since I was a little girl. Woot woot! cant wait to meet all my new classmates in the fall! This will also be the longest summer ive ever had haaha my classes end last day of April, and UCSF doesnt start till end of september!! woowww! Itll take some getting used to on the quarter system though, im not thrilled at the proscept of being in class in mid june! still, GO UCSF! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Congratulations to all those have been accepted, and sorry to those that who have been denied. I hope you have been accepted somewhere else. I am one of the people patiently waiting for a response. I must admit it is not always easy. However, I find listening to music helps when you really get anxious. For me, I listen to Broadway musicals; one in particular is Jekyll & Hyde, the song "This is the Moment", is uplifting. Alternatively, you can crack open a Physiology textbook or read recent developments in pharmacy (FDA just approved a generic form of Lexapro!) and you will be sure to forget everything else. Just thought I would share&#8230; not be "preachy".

hey everyone, when can we start applying for housing? are classes held in parnassus or mission bay? any recommendations on which one to go to? pros and cons? thanks!

Interviewed on 2/10 and got acceptance email today. Life is sweet! Yay go class of 2016! <(&#65507;&#65078;&#65507;)> []~(&#65507;&#9661;&#65507;)~* (&#65507;&#65103;&#65507;) (&#65507;&#711;&#65507;)

Your faces are so cute! Hehe :3

hey everyone, when can we start applying for housing? are classes held in parnassus or mission bay? any recommendations on which one to go to? pros and cons? thanks!

Apply now! Classes are held in Parnassus (but they're planning on relocating the School of Pharmacy to MB some time in the near future). From current pharmacy students, it seems to go:

Parnassus
Pros: Close to campus = more sleep in the morning, easier to get to campus for events held on campus on weekends
Cons: (friendly) fog

Mission Bay
Pros: Sun, shopping, gym
Cons: 20-minute commute by shuttle to campus

Cons of both: Cost :p

And everyone's excitement for school is making me hyped up in excitement lol! I agree--how am I going to survive until September!?

Congratulations to all those have been accepted, and sorry to those that who have been denied. I hope you have been accepted somewhere else. I am one of the people patiently waiting for a response. I must admit it is not always easy. However, I find listening to music helps when you really get anxious. For me, I listen to Broadway musicals; one in particular is Jekyll & Hyde, the song “This is the Moment”, is uplifting. Alternatively, you can crack open a Physiology textbook or read recent developments in pharmacy (FDA just approved a generic form of Lexapro!) and you will be sure to forget everything else. Just thought I would share… not be “preachy”.

Thanks for the suggestions! Hopefully we will hear back soon. Good luck on finals (if you are still an undergrad)! :p

waitlisted.. I dont know what to think about #19? Anyone who's been on the waitlist in previous years or heard from other people know what my chances are?

Did they actually give u a waitlist number now?
It seems that last week no one got waitlisted but starting from this week.

Did they actually give u a waitlist number now?
It seems that last week no one got waitlisted but starting from this week.

Ya, they gave me a waitlist # .. they said that they have completed their admission review for the class matriculating in fall 2012.

so that means whoever didnt get notified automatically on waitlist or rejection ?? :(((

so that means whoever didnt get notified automatically on waitlist or rejection ?? :(((

I don't know.. they are maybe just taking their time to send out emails to make sure everything is sent out correctly~?

let hope so ..
who else hasn't heard back from them lol ?

To those who have been accepted so far, is there any chance that you will decline UCSF's offer of admission to accept an offer from another school? I have been placed on the waiting list and would like to get an idea of what my chances are...

Just got the rejection notice today. :( A little sad, but thrilled that I had the opportunity to interview! Good luck to those who haven't heard yet, and to those that are in, congrats! :thumbup:

waitlisted.. I dont know what to think about #19? Anyone who's been on the waitlist in previous years or heard from other people know what my chances are?

The waitlist fluctuates every year. Three years ago, the waitlist moved up about 5-6 people, the year after that the waitlist moved up 7, and this past year the waitlist moved up around 13-ish. (I applied twice, the first year I applied I was waitlist #8 and it only moved up 7 :()

People have many different reasons for declining their admissions to UCSF, and there's really no clear-cut number as to how many people move off the waitlist. It really just depends on the admitted class and what priorities/responsibilities they have in their life.

By the way for those of you on the waitlist you should make a separate thread so you can update each other on the waitlist updates throughout the summer!

Good luck!

I have been waitlisted... what does it mean if you're waitlisted, anyways? Does it mean there were a lot of similar applicants? Or does it mean that the school is waiting on responses from accepted students and putting the rest of the interviewed students on hold? I was interviewed and received an email a couple of weeks later saying I was waitlisted. So again, what does it mean?

Do you guys know if all the main classes for the PharmD program are going to be at Parnassus or they take classes at the satellite campus/classroonms. Someone mentioned this to me and i am not sure if they are right.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Just declined my offer to UCSF, good luck to whoever gets my spot!

Do you guys know if all the main classes for the PharmD program are going to be at Parnassus or they take classes at the satellite campus/classroonms. Someone mentioned this to me and i am not sure if they are right.

Thank you!

All of the classes for the School of Pharmacy right now are held at the Parnassus campus.
There's talk of moving stuff over to Mission Bay, but I'm guessing it probably won't happen for a couple years.

Hi to those who got accepted into UCSF this year,

I am a master student from UCSD. I did my undergrad at UCSD as well and did applied to pharm school in my senior year. Unfortunately I was unable to get into school. Currently I am working on my master and will apply for 2013 application cycle.
I would like to know whether anyone get into the program with GPA around 3.1-3.2.
My undergrad accumulated GPA was low due to my poor performance at community college. But I did better at UCSD as a transferred student. My master GPA is 3.85. I also worked in the Biotech company right after graduation from undergrad. As for extra curricular activities, I am pretty well rounded, because I am volunteering at Free Clinic at UCSD and several hospitals, have done quit a bit of community services, including starting a tutoring program for the refugees.
My concern is my language skill since I am not a native speaker. Currently I am taking writing classes to improve my writing skills at UCSD. I hope this helps. I really want to go to UCSF because I really like the curriculum which has several pathways, giving students flexibility to choose based on their strength and interest.
Honestly, this will be my 3rd time attempting UCSF. I am not even sure how to fix my supplemental essays since I can't change dramatically within 2 years and I can't change my past either. If anyone can give me tips about supplemental essays, I would really appreciated.
I hope the school sees my persistence and give me a chance.

Last edited:

I am a master student from UCSD. I did my undergrad at UCSD as well and did applied to pharm school in my senior year. Unfortunately I was unable to get into school. Currently I am working on my master and will apply for 2013 application cycle.
I would like to know whether anyone get into the program with GPA around 3.1-3.2.
My undergrad accumulated GPA was low due to my poor performance at community college. But I did better at UCSD as a transferred student. My master GPA is 3.85. I also worked in the Biotech company right after graduation from undergrad. As for extra curricular activities, I am pretty well rounded, because I am volunteering at Free Clinic at UCSD and several hospitals, have done quit a bit of community services, including starting a tutoring program for the refugees.
My concern is my language skill since I am not a native speaker. Currently I am taking writing classes to improve my writing skills at UCSD. I hope this helps. I really want to go to UCSF because I really like the curriculum which has several pathways, giving students flexibility to choose based on their strength and interest.
Honestly, this will be my 3rd time attempting UCSF. I am not even sure how to fix my supplemental essays since I can't change dramatically within 2 years and I can't change my past either. If anyone can give me tips about supplemental essays, I would really appreciated.

Hi Ayae, if you look at UCSF's website they do take students with lower GPA's, but in order to compensate for the lower undergrad GPA you would probably need amazing outside experience, letter of recommendations, and personal statements. I have to admit your writing is full of grammar mistakes and UCSF is known to not be a numbers school and they do take the time to read your personal statements (all of them - I think there are 3 plus the general PharmCAS one). Definitely have someone edit your essay, UCSD should have some kind of writing center. In the supplemental there is some section you can write about your disadvantages and you can mention your background. Make sure you get very good letters of rec and ask people who know you well and would write good letters. Make sure you choose good topics for your personal statements and have lots of people read them for you and edit them for you. Last but not least, don't focus on one school...apply to many! It's never good to just focus one school. Good luck :)

Thank you for your tips Jackie.
I will try my best.:)

I would suggest contacting the admissions department to ask what you can do to improve your application. I applied in 2010 for Fall 2011 and was denied. I had an interview with Joel and he got to know me and gave me some invaluable advice. When I applied again the next year I got in :). I honestly doubt that it is your GPA that's a concern for them, especially since you had a good GPA in your Master's program. Likely, it's your essays that need improvement. Good luck!

to everyone that got his or her acceptance, congrats :) !! please let the other schools know that you'll be withdrawing your seat ASAP! this will help many of us who are still waiting.

to everyone that got his or her acceptance, congrats :) !! please let the other schools know that you'll be withdrawing your seat ASAP! this will help many of us who are still waiting.

We had to accept our offer of admission with UCSF by 4/6, correct me if I'm wrong (I only applied to UCSF), but I think that means that everyone who accepted has already notified any other schools that they will not be attending.

I have been waitlisted... what does it mean if you're waitlisted, anyways? Does it mean there were a lot of similar applicants? Or does it mean that the school is waiting on responses from accepted students and putting the rest of the interviewed students on hold? I was interviewed and received an email a couple of weeks later saying I was waitlisted. So again, what does it mean?

waitlisted means that your application was not good enough for an acceptance, but not bad enough for a rejection. You will now have to "wait" as accepted applicants decline their spots which opens up more spots so the school can take a look at the waitlisted applicants and decide to accept from that list.

3.28 GPA. non-science major. had no one edit my essays. barely edited my essays myself. And the surprise was that I was accepted. I feel like although my essays were not edited, they were very raw. It told a story somehow. Good luck with your apps!