Ucsf 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MichelAzer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all international dentists,
This Thread is for University of California-San Francisco applicants for year 2014.
Please feel free to ask and share your questions.

Best,

Members don't see this ad.

HI, need some help.
IN UCSF supplemental application, do we have to send 3 letters of evaluation by post again?
We are already sending the 3 letters of evaluation via CAAPID.
Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thank you.

HI, need some help.
IN UCSF supplemental application, do we have to send 3 letters of evaluation by post again?
We are already sending the 3 letters of evaluation via CAAPID.
Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Yes we have to send 3 letters directly to UCSF. I called Ms Pham and she said UCSF wants a different set of original 3letters of recommendation (letter headed) because the ones from CAAPID are downloaded and never original.

Good luck to us all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does ucsf ask for original transcripts from the dental college? Or are there any exceptions? Its not possible for me to get them at this time. Any info regarding this?

Does ucsf ask for original transcripts from the dental college? Or are there any exceptions? Its not possible for me to get them at this time. Any info regarding this?

its clearly written they want the transcripts to come from schools. for exceptions you better email them.all the best.

Dear all international dentists,
This Thread is for University of California-San Francisco applicants for year 2014.
Please feel free to ask and share your questions.

Best,
Hi ,
can we submit the application and supplemental material by hand to UCSF,who is the concerned person,thank you

For UCSF - Can anyone please let me know if we need sealed attested copies of our DMCs and degree certificate attested by the examination controller of the university? This lady in my dental school in India keeps telling me to get it but I don't see it on ucsf website or caapid or anywhere else that ucsf requires it! Is it recommended to get those just in case! ?

Any opinion about this is greatly appreciated!

Hey guys pls help!
How do I send My toefl score reports to UCSF? I cannot find institution code on their website. Help pls!

@Toothsai - I believe you have to send it in your application packet that you send to UCSF. It doesnt have to come directly from the toefl address. Just make sure it is a sealed copy and include it in your application packet.
I read this in one of the forums here .Someone had this same question and he/she emailed mary pham and she said that you can just include it in your packet of all the other documents that you send.

For UCSF - Can anyone please let me know if we need sealed attested copies of our DMCs and degree certificate attested by the examination controller of the university? This lady in my dental school in India keeps telling me to get it but I don't see it on ucsf website or caapid or anywhere else that ucsf requires it! Is it recommended to get those just in case! ?

Any opinion about this is greatly appreciated!

@Toothsai - I believe you have to send it in your application packet that you send to UCSF. It doesnt have to come directly from the toefl address. Just make sure it is a sealed copy and include it in your application packet.
I read this in one of the forums here .Someone had this same question and he/she emailed mary pham and she said that you can just include it in your packet of all the other documents that you send.

Thanks J2468 for the help! I appreciate it.

How long does UCSF take send application complete email?
I am asking because I sent out the application packet via USPS priority mail, which should have been delivered on 20th, whereas the tracking still says it has been processed through SF sort facility and nothing more.
I am worried about my application. :(

Also, do they review applications on rolling basis or after the deadline?

Last edited:
How long does UCSF take send application complete email?
I am asking because I sent out the application packet via USPS priority mail, which should have been delivered on 20th, whereas the tracking still says it has been processed through SF sort facility and nothing more.
I am worried about my application. :(

Also, do they review applications on rolling basis or after the deadline?
@aaspiringdoc,I'm facing the same problem as yours ,even my application which I sent through USPS reached SF sort facility on may 10th,unfortunately nothing happened after that,no delivery confirmation from Postal service nor an application completion from the school.I'm really confused now waited for so long and preparing to send another application:(

Members don't see this ad :)
@aaspiringdoc,
I'm facing the same problem as yours ,even my application which I sent through USPS reached SF sort facility on may 10th,unfortunately nothing happened after that,no delivery confirmation from Postal service nor an application completion from the school.I'm really confused now waited for so long and preparing to send another application:(

Did they cash your money order?

@Anoogy
I guess they did because I had the confirmation from USPS about the money order long back. Anyhow the application fee has to be sent separately for UCSF to registrars office and the supplemental documents to the school.

If the transcripts are signed and in a sealed envelope, then you can only send the transcripts instead of sending from ur dental school to UCSF..This was told by Mary Pham...Hope this helps..

If the transcripts are signed and in a sealed envelope, then you can only send the transcripts instead of sending from ur dental school to UCSF..This was told by Mary Pham...Hope this helps..

I am not sure what you meant by "signed" and "sealed envelop "can you elaborate please?

@aaspiringdoc,
I'm facing the same problem as yours ,even my application which I sent through USPS reached SF sort facility on may 10th,unfortunately nothing happened after that,no delivery confirmation from Postal service nor an application completion from the school.I'm really confused now waited for so long and preparing to send another application:(

Did u guys call up usps or ucsf for enquiring about the packet?? coz mine was supposed to get delivered today but since morning it says depart from sort facility...

@aaspiringdoc,

Even my tracking number on usps is still showing its stuck in the sort facility. Call up Ms Pham. She is very sweet and will let you know that very instant if she has your application packet. And in most probability, your packets must have reached. Usps hardly screws up ever.

Finally,my application reached whew,,,funny thing is the Usps tracking still shows that it is stuck in sort facility.So,all my friends if the tracking shows sort facility all you can do is give some time and wait for application status from the school.

Finally,my application reached whew,,,funny thing is the Usps tracking still shows that it is stuck in sort facility.So,all my friends if the tracking shows sort facility all you can do is give some time and wait for application status from the school.

Did they send you a confirmation email, or do you mean CAAPID's school status?

Guys I have a question for you all. How did you manage to get original transcripts(marksheets) from your dental school/university. I'm from India, and I have a set of original transcripts with me and the college or university would not issue me another set of originals until I lodge a complaint that my originals are lost! Since UCSF is askin for nothing but the original transcripts, I feel like I probably can't apply to this school.
Any suggestions and help regarding this issue would be really appreciated. Thanks!!

I have sent originals, but I may suggest that you call and ask if you can provide a photocopy that's stamped and sealed from your college. You won't lose anything.

I have sent originals, but I may suggest that you call and ask if you can provide a photocopy that's stamped and sealed from your college. You won't lose anything.[/QUO
Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes! I did ask, but I was told that they need originals at all cost. Just wanted to know if u faced any trouble getting the originals from your country?
Thanks!

In my country, you can get as many originals as you want if you can afford it.

They charge 350 for each transcript, but they do stamp the envelope for free. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
At the moment I'm trying to get transcripts , they are charging for them but still haven't recieved any notice of them being made or any sight of it happening. I think I would have to fly back in order to get the work done.

i got 10 original stamped and sealed transcripts for 1000 rupees. 100 per transcript.
anyways my question is that ive heard poeple with masters degree are only accepted at UCSF..is it true? id yes then i dont have any masters degree so should i try and save a bit of money? please do help in this regard.Thanks

i got 10 original stamped and sealed transcripts for 1000 rupees. 100 per transcript.
anyways my question is that ive heard poeple with masters degree are only accepted at UCSF..is it true? id yes then i dont have any masters degree so should i try and save a bit of money? please do help in this regard.Thanks
from where did u hear this?? U are scaring me.

hey .. i was told by my senior. but i asked another friend who is already at UCSF and he said its all rumors there are many who got IN without a masters degree. He said Apply thats all. so relax and pray

hey .. i was told by my senior. but i asked another friend who is already at UCSF and he said its all rumors there are many who got IN without a masters degree. He said Apply thats all. so relax and pray

Phew!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could anyone tell me what kind of teeth do California schools use for the bench test? is it Columbia or Kilgore? help please.

hey any idea about the basis of selection for those previous students without masters ??
what would they look at to invite for interview ?

hey any idea about the basis of selection for those previous students without masters ??

The selection process is like the DA VINCI CODE! you would never know how they select students. until and unless you stop thinking about your application and just keep on gunning this question and start doing research by going to every college and taking out statistics of the admitted students . I used to do the same obviously coz we are tensed but nothing comes out of it..So u need to take out statistics from each college to know whom they offer admissions or just sit back and wait for the months of august and september! I cant say relax coz i know every passing day the tension increases!

Hi everyone
The fees and application are to be sent on different address or can be sent at same adress enclosed in a same envlope. Plz help.

The selection process is like the DA VINCI CODE! you would never know how they select students. until and unless you stop thinking about your application and just keep on gunning this question and start doing research by going to every college and taking out statistics of the admitted students . I used to do the same obviously coz we are tensed but nothing comes out of it..So u need to take out statistics from each college to know whom they offer admissions or just sit back and wait for the months of august and september! I cant say relax coz i know every passing day the tension increases!

I completely agree with Dhaval39. It is a great mystery unsolved. Who gets in and who gets out. Every application they receive is different and again applications have so many components like scores, SOP, work experience, shadow, masters degree etc etc etc. Also every school has its own criteria to select students. I personally believe its better to apply to the Universities and forget. It's all wait and watch for the next few months. Fingers crossed! I wish everyone the best :thumbup:

yea all am trying to do now is focus on improving my CV to the best possible. i wish i was in a position to gather info about admitted students and figure out the selection process. but i dont stay in US. am currently in India.
So are you saying that you have done all this ? like went to universities and got some statistics ??

Hi I am an international dental student , I have passed put last year please tell me ,Wht kind of applicants ucsf looks for, what is usually asked in the bench test how should a dentist In India prepare for it

What all have to done to improve your cv .please suggest I am so confused and scared can barely think , I have to give part one too , did you give part 2 as well . Before applying for dds ?

What exercise are asked to be performed in the bench test

Hi I am an international dental student , I have passed put last year please tell me ,Wht kind of applicants ucsf looks for, what is usually asked in the bench test how should a dentist In India prepare for it
you have to go step by step. no point in thinking about bench test even before you write nbde. my advise would be start preparing for nbde and keep browsing ADA website and other relevant sites. get familiar with the process first.
then apply for evaluation, write toefl and start applying to universities.
and then start thinking about your interview and bench test.
hope that helps. good luck !

I am planning to apply for UCSF before deadline i.e July 15th. But my TOEFL score is 90 which is less than the min required. I am planning to retake it again. I am confused whether to apply to this University or not. Can i apply to the university now and update the toefl score later even after the deadline.???

Plzzz Help...

When are we likely to hear back from UCSF? Any idea?

When can we expect to hear back from from ucsf and uop. Any idea?

Someone said they called up UCSF, and Ms. Pham said that either you get an interview call today, or a rejection letter in December. Is this really true?? Anyone get any calls from UCSF yet?? How nerve racking!

Someone said they called up UCSF, and Ms. Pham said that either you get an interview call today, or a rejection letter in December. Is this really true?? Anyone get any calls from UCSF yet?? How nerve racking!

who is the someone? As per what I read on fb- ms. pham said that they are working on it- but nothing like this- well lets see...anyway this week itself we all will know..

hi i am trying to do some scheduling..any idea if invited around what time is the interview? thanks.