UCSF Application 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if UCSF accepts P/NP classes for their pre-reqs? I looked all over their website, and it doesn't mention anything about it. I'm assuming if they accept AP classes, it seems like they should accept P/NP. I just wanted to see if anyone on here knew before I went to call them and ask.

I think it would be no problem depending on the situation. For my undergraduate school. everyone's freshmen year first semester transcript will have Pass/Fail grades for ALL classes. So in that situation, UCSF will have to accept that grade. But double check with UCSF in case...ya never know

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone still have her UCSF rejection letter? Did it say when and who we can contact to ask how we can improve our application?

Curious, but where is everyone planning on staying for the interview day?

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm staying at the Best Western Hotel Tomo. Its on Sutter St. and about 2 miles from UCSF. I'll probably just take a taxi there.

Wow, thread is really quite this year - bumpity bump. Where is everyone ? People must be anxiously preparing for their upcoming interviews, the first one being this very Friday !

Good luck to everyone interviewing this Friday ! :love:

I guess anxious would be a way to describe the way I feel ... hah

I am planning to stay @ my friend's place near civic center... hotel was too expensive! rather treat my friend at a nice restaurant! Will take the MUNI(?) to come for interview.

I'll be staying at the Hotel Nikko.

I am planning to stay @ my friend's place near civic center... hotel was too expensive! rather treat my friend at a nice restaurant! Will take the MUNI(?) to come for interview.

Good choice. You can take the MUNI directly from civic center to UCSF through the N-Judah line Outbound. It will drop you off at the UCSF parking structure located on Irving & Arguello Blvd. From there you can take the elevator at the bottom (A level) and go to the top level (I level; Parnassus), which will bring you to the Millberry Union. Up one flight of stairs and across the street will be the Medical Sciences building which is where you need to be for the interview. MUNI only costs $2.00 per trip, so $4.00 round trip is much better than paying $150/night for a hotel close by UCSF.

I am staying at Carl Hotel. $68. Has nice reviews

Good choice. You can take the MUNI directly from civic center to UCSF through the N-Judah line Outbound. It will drop you off at the UCSF parking structure located on Irving & Arguello Blvd. From there you can take the elevator at the bottom (A level) and go to the top level (I level; Parnassus), which will bring you to the Millberry Union. Up one flight of stairs and across the street will be the Medical Sciences building which is where you need to be for the interview. MUNI only costs $2.00 per trip, so $4.00 round trip is much better than paying $150/night for a hotel close by UCSF.

Thanks for the info! I was going to take the N-Judah to Carl St & Hillway Ave (google maps directions).

Good luck to everyone interviewing this week! Let us know how it goes when you are done. My interview is such a loooong time away, 02/19. My spring semester started today, which will keep me busy, and hopefully the time will fly by faster.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking forward to meeting all the interviewees on Friday! Good luck to everyone!

Thanks for the info! I was going to take the N-Judah to Carl St & Hillway Ave (google maps directions).

Carl St. & Hillway Ave is the stop before Irving & Arguello Blvd. I would recommend going to Irving & Arguello so you can use the elevator to get to Parnassus. Otherwise, you'll be stuck walking up a giant hill of sorts and you don't want to be out of breath and sweating while going to your interview. The Carl St. & Hillway Ave stop might be hard to spot also. It'd be easier to look for the UCSF parking structure as they will have signs (if you're coming from downtown, the parking structure will be on your left side).

I am staying at Carl Hotel. $68. Has nice reviews

I checked out Carl Hotel the night before my interview (I was staying at Stanyan Hotel down the street) and it looked kinda sketchy to me at first, but it probably would've been a better choice since it's closer and also cheaper (Stanyan was $150/night). I didn't actually see the rooms or whatnot, but I am sure you'll be fine.

I would recommend going to Irving & Arguello so you can use the elevator to get to Parnassus. Otherwise, you'll be stuck walking up a giant hill of sorts and you don't want to be out of breath and sweating while going to your interview.

:laugh: Priceless words of wisdom right there :thumbup:

I'll keep that in mind. Are there Pharmacy classes I can sit in at on 2/18 (afternoon) or 2/19 (morning) ?

Just thought I'd chime in about the hotel... Hope this doesn't come as a disappointment, but I actually had a not too good experience staying at the Carl Hotel- the bed was terribly stiff, and the train running by every 10min or so was very loud. Or maybe I just wasn't used to the new place. It was for a good price though, and within walking distance to UCSF- so it's pretty ok. I don't really know what would be a better hotel to stay for the same price and location though. :D

Do you know just how long the interview is? My appointment time is at 8 AM, and I need to leave by 1 PM. Is that alright or I should change my flight?

I'll keep that in mind. Are there Pharmacy classes I can sit in at on 2/18 (afternoon) or 2/19 (morning) ?

Several people asked if we could bring students to class and this isn't something that can just be easily arranged, you need to be pre-screened and either part of the academic mentoring program or cleared with OSACA. Additionally, for certain classes - - like pharmacy practice, we can't bring people to class period, even out mentees. If you are interested in attending the classes - don't crash, ask OSACA and Joel first if you want to sit in. :)

Last edited:
Hello everyone... Who has an interview on 02/06 and stays at the Carl Hotel?

As for the loud place. I really doubt i will be able to sleep the night before the interview

Do you know just how long the interview is? My appointment time is at 8 AM, and I need to leave by 1 PM. Is that alright or I should change my flight?

I would push it back by at least a couple of hours just in case you want to check out the campus, check out the neighborhood etc. You COULD conceivably leave at 1 PM, but that would really be pushing it in case you get stuck in the later groups that does that interview or writing statement last and you might literally be rushing from UC to the airport.

Hope this helps.

Random tidbit from Joel's blog. I'm booked in SF for 3 days, overkill I know haha :rolleyes:. I like to get a good feel of the school and city before I make decisions.

We have a full-schedule of activities as part of the interview day – including meeting with other prospective students as well as current students. We get criticized for having a long day (there will be moaners, complainers and whiners) but we think it’s important for prospective students to really get a sense of our students (both future and current) and to thoroughly explore our program. Could someone technically just come and go for the required elements of the interview day? Yes. But that is not the type of student that makes a good fit for UCSF.

Hi All :)

My interview date/time is for Thurs, Feb 11 @ 11:30am. Will I see any of you there?

Congrats and good luck to all those interviewing.

First interview this Friday :love: Two days, two days ! Good luck, guys :thumbup:

Yay my first posting! :D Better late than never.

My interview is also on Thursday 2/11 at 11am. Anyone interested in meeting for breakfast and perhaps one last pep talk?!

These emoticons are awesome....:p

Yay my first posting! :D Better late than never.

My interview is also on Thursday 2/11 at 11am. Anyone interested in meeting for breakfast and perhaps one last pep talk?!

These emoticons are awesome....:p

I'll be doing the "chat room" that afternoon, where P1's and P2's talk to interviewees about UCSF. hopefully you'll have already done the interview by the time you get to see me, but i'll try to calm you all down if you haven't. :laugh:

Random tidbit from Joel's blog. I'm booked in SF for 3 days, overkill I know haha :rolleyes:. I like to get a good feel of the school and city before I make decisions.

Actually that's a great way to really see if UCSF is for you (and any other school). Honestly, 3 days is probably long enough to get a good feel for the city--and make sure to check out what's around the Inner Sunset, and not just go to the tourist traps. Believe me, once school starts, that's the main neighborhood you'll be seeing.

It was awesome and a lot of fun to see some of the interviewees today ! If anyone ever felt like random people were staring at you, it's because we, the P1s, were sooo very excited to see/meet all of you and to have you interview at our wonderful school !

Actually that's a great way to really see if UCSF is for you (and any other school). Honestly, 3 days is probably long enough to get a good feel for the city--and make sure to check out what's around the Inner Sunset, and not just go to the tourist traps. Believe me, once school starts, that's the main neighborhood you'll be seeing.

Is the Inner Sunset area safe enough for me to wander around alone @night? I'm not very familiar with San Francisco at all ...

Is the Inner Sunset area safe enough for me to wander around alone @night? I'm not very familiar with San Francisco at all ...

Coming from a local, it's one of the safest areas of the city, IMHO. :love: There are times when I stay at school late studying untill 2 or even 3 am. Yet, I never feel scared to walk through the area on my way home. UCSF police constantly patrols around the area, they must pass by my house at least ~ 10 times a night. Overall, Inner Sunset is a very quiet and truly a wonderful place to live. There are quite a few amazing eateries and just nice little cafes to hang out, an incredible used books store and and all your neighbors will be in some way or another affiliated with this university.

Last edited:
Coming from a local, it's one of the safest areas of the city, IMHO. :love: There are times when I stay at school late studying untill 2 or even 3 am. Yet, I never feel scared to walk through the area on my way home. UCSF police constantly patrols around the area, they must pass by my house at least ~ 10 times a night. Overall, Inner Sunset is a very quiet and truly a wonderful place to live. There are quite a few amazing eateries and just nice little cafes to hang out, an incredible used books store and and all your neighbors will be in some way or another affiliated with this university.

Except the sun never shines there, super windy, and depressing all the times !!!

:laugh: We are not supposed to tell them that, untill the new class gets accepted.

There is always Inner Richmond where I grew up, a short bus ride away, but what a difference in temperature in weather !

Lol..ok..it's not all the times..like today is a beautiful day!!

It was awesome and a lot of fun to see some of the interviewees today ! If anyone ever felt like random people were staring at you, it's because we, the P1s, were sooo very excited to see/meet all of you and to have you interview at our wonderful school !

Were you in the chat room? I spoke to a couple of students in there, and they and the admissions staff were so helpful and welcoming! :D

Were you in the chat room? I spoke to a couple of students in there, and they and the admissions staff were so helpful and welcoming! :D

I wasn't unfortunately in the chat room, although I did meet/see a few students. I also saw a group preparing for what must have been their essay portion on my way to computer lab. Hope your interview went well ! Good luck !

the UCSF thread this year is way less popular than the previous year :confused:... any particular reason?

We have a special class that stands out - you'll see when you meet people during the interview. Everyone is extremely outgoing, talkative and social, myself included :oops:. Plus there are quite a few of us very into SDN, hello ricetrix, skytrice and OT! :hello:

Hi guys,

I've been lurking around here for a while, but since interviews have kicked into full gears, I decided to be an active SDNer. :)

I have an interview at UCSF next weekend early in the morning. I figure I'll be done with everything by 12PM. Besides hanging out at the "Chat room", can you guys recommand anything else I can do while on the campus to learn more about the program? I'm from out of state, so I got all weekend...

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I haven't posted here in a while :X
But now all my other interviews are done. Time to focus on the most important one!

Hi guys,

I've been lurking around here for a while, but since interviews have kicked into full gears, I decided to be an active SDNer. :)

I have an interview at UCSF next weekend early in the morning. I figure I'll be done with everything by 12PM. Besides hanging out at the "Chat room", can you guys recommand anything else I can do while on the campus to learn more about the program? I'm from out of state, so I got all weekend...

Thanks guys.

I don't think there are any official events planned for that weekend because:

1. P1 class is in the midst of our midterms and since that weekend is a weekend right before two of the very important midterms, so to the best of my knowledge there are no official fairs or any volunteer events scheduled.

2. There is a conference scheduled for that weekend, so quite a few of my classmates are flying to attend it.

I would contact the admissions office and inquire if there are any additional presentations or campus events you could attend to learn more about the program. :)

:scared: Looking back at my supp. application ... I think I should consider myself super lucky to even receive an interview invitation ... unless my invitation was a mistake? :bang:

I opened up my pdf and there was a typo! Argh. I went to my other copies on the other computers and the typo was also in those copies. :bang::bang::bang::bang: Aaand I just copy/pasted it into MSWord and it doesnt come up with any red flags for grammar(!?!?).

I wonder if this will come back to bite me during the final evaluations ... :(

:scared: Looking back at my supp. application ... I think I should consider myself super lucky to even receive an interview invitation ... unless my invitation was a mistake? :bang:

I opened up my pdf and there was a typo! Argh. I went to my other copies on the other computers and the typo was also in those copies. :bang::bang::bang::bang: Aaand I just copy/pasted it into MSWord and it doesnt come up with any red flags for grammar(!?!?).

One typo is not going to make or break you. You shouldn't even think about it that way. If it helps you to calm down, I actually had a typo on my PS. You were chosen for the interview for a reason. Don't beat yourself up because of a human error. Stay positive. :thumbup: You don't want to walk into an interview with a face of defeat before you even get to say anything.

I don't think there are any official events planned for that weekend because:

1. P1 class is in the midst of our midterms and since that weekend is a weekend right before two of the very important midterms, so to the best of my knowledge there are no official fairs or any volunteer events scheduled.

2. There is a conference scheduled for that weekend, so quite a few of my classmates are flying to attend it.

I would contact the admissions office and inquire if there are any additional presentations or campus events you could attend to learn more about the program. :)

I see. Is that mean there won't be many P1s or P2s in the chat room either, huh?

Last edited:
There will be P1,2, and 3 in the chat room. It was reflected in the sign-up sheet and all the spots are filled.

Hi AntiviralsRule, How was your interview experience? (if you don't mind my asking. :oops:) I'm a little anxious about the impromptu essay... just because you never know what to expect. I'm definitely more excited than nervous right now, but I'm sure THAT will change soon-when my interview date draws nearer.

Thanks to all the current UCSF pharm students that are active on SDN! I'm glad that there'll be students and admissions' staff who are just as happy to chat w/ the interviewees as we are with them.

:woot: Yay! GO Pharmacy! Good luck to everyone!:woot:

Thanks to all the current UCSF pharm students that are active on SDN! I'm glad that there'll be students and admissions' staff who are just as happy to chat w/ the interviewees as we are with them.

:woot::woot:

Awe, this is too sweet - I'm going to quote this in my FB status. :) :love:

Hey kmoogs, I also found out that I have a typo in one of my essays for the supplemental. I noticed it several months ago and thought I ruined my chance to receive an interview invite. I was stressing out about it a lot and blamed myself for being so careless. Luckily for me, I still got an interview invitation. But I'll be a lot more careful when proofreading my essays in the future. Good luck on your interview!