UF Admissions / GPA Considerations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smbrow14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking over the admission information on the UF website and it seems like they only calculate the preprofessional courses towards your GPA. Well, what about the other courses? I'm confused as to what UF (and pharmacy schools in general) look at / care about. If I have a 3.7 preprofessional GPA but a 2.8 overall GPA, could that potentially be a problem? I've only just started looking into all of this the last week or so and so far it's been hard to find clear-cut answers.

Also, from various posts here I've gathered that in order to get in to UF you really need > 3.6 preprofessional GPA and > 95% PCAT. This is definitely obtainable for me, but I have quite a few F's and retakes (all of which are non-preprofessional courses, all taken during my first 60 credit hours when I was "younger and dumber"). Does anyone have any opinions/advice on this?

Members don't see this ad.

UF only looks at the pre-professsional GPA calculated with the science courses on their website. That is it. Trust me, I have talked with Dr. Mackenzie.

Are the admissions requirements similar to the distance-learning courses they offer?

Members don't see this ad :)
sakigt said:
Are the admissions requirements similar to the distance-learning courses they offer?

The admission requirements are the same for each campus. You rank the campuses and then will be assigned to one of them.

UF only cares about your prereq GPA. What you made in Art History or English carries no weight. Even though an AA degree, foreign language and public speaking are required they are not calculated into your GPA for admission consideration. Neither are AP classes from high school.

They don't grant grade forgiveness. So, if you made a D in a class, then got a B on the retake, it will average out to a C.

Thank you for the replies. I'm very glad to hear that UF will only take into account my prereq GPA! I've had so-so performance in Calc 1, Physics 1/lab, and Chem 1/lab, but it's still possible for me to get a 3.7 prereq GPA (my grades were C, A-/A+, and B-/A- respectively) I'm working on a social science B.A. degree right now and taking the pharm prereqs on top of those courses. I'll be finished with the B.A. in summer of 2007, and with the pharm prereqs in spring of 2008. Hopefully the requirements will not change between now and then!

dgroulx said:
The admission requirements are the same for each campus. You rank the campuses and then will be assigned to one of them.

UF only cares about your prereq GPA. What you made in Art History or English carries no weight. Even though an AA degree, foreign language and public speaking are required they are not calculated into your GPA for admission consideration. Neither are AP classes from high school.

They don't grant grade forgiveness. So, if you made a D in a class, then got a B on the retake, it will average out to a C.

Excellent to know. Sounds like I need to rock out in those classes :thumbup:

smbrow14 said:
Also, from various posts here I've gathered that in order to get in to UF you really need > 3.6 preprofessional GPA and > 95% PCAT.
Not true at all. I got in with a 3.46 preprofessional GPA and a 90 on the PCAT.

I know someone who just got accepted to the Orlando campus this week and I'm not sure of his GPA but his highest PCAT score was an 80.

ndearwater said:
I know someone who just got accepted to the Orlando campus this week and I'm not sure of his GPA but his highest PCAT score was an 80.
A guy in my classes got into G-ville campus with a 79 (30's in the verbal but English 2nd language). He did have a high GPA though.

RachGator said:
A guy in my classes got into G-ville campus with a 79 (30's in the verbal but English 2nd language). He did have a high GPA though.

I got into UF with a 3.3 and 99%

If I did not hear back from UF, that means I got rejected right? :(

My application was put on hold with my 75 PCAT score. Got accepted to the Orlando campus once I got an 87 in January. Overall GPA: 3.7 Prereq GPA: 3.4
Still can't believe I got in... :eek: They must have considered something extra with my application. Whether it be my bachelors or personal statement... they must've seen something they liked because I've heard of people at my school getting denied with higher stats than mine. :confused:

joygirlx105 said:
If I did not hear back from UF, that means I got rejected right? :(

No word means no word.... which is better than a rejection! A friend of mine has an awesome GPA and 90 PCAT, submitted her application in November and still hasn't heard from them. :( I submitted in January, which makes no sense.