UF's ONLINE Microbiology Bachelor of Science Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LJA1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering changing my major as well as my school for various reasons to University of Florida's online BS Microbiology. As a non-traditional pre-med student there are various reasons why I want to switch schools and go to an online program but mainly so that I can attend virtual lecture and do my work on my own schedule because I'm finishing up my paramedic program and need time for not only clinicals but other things. This is not to say I don't have time for my prereq's or undergraduate classes, I just need the schedule to be flexible for everything else I'm doing.

With that said, I've read a lot of negative things about online classes and online schools but I would think that this program I'm looking at is essentially exactly the same as if I was at UF's main campus. All classes are taught by the same faculty, every lecture is video recorded and posted online, and every lab is at a regional campus. I've never heard of anything like this program before and it seems really cool.

Info on it here: http://microbiology.ifas.ufl.edu/

My question is: Those who know, would an online program like this hinder my chances in any way or look bad for some reason even with the fact that all labs are on campus?

Changing from Biology major to Microbiology, anything I should know or may have not considered?

Any other input is appreciated :D

For what it's worth, current school is Florida Institute of Technology
Major: Biology, Minor Psychology
~2years remaining

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not just attend UF?

I believe he stated he was going to be doing paramedic clinicals. My paramedic clinicals took about a year ... It's pretty time consuming.

Don't bury yourself OP, and don't underestimate the paramedic clinicals. A lot of services use you as a scapegoat for things, make you do the lifting, make you do everything ... so it can be very tiring. It's different from working on a truck with a partner where its a 2 man effort to do things, but as a student (at least in my experience), they throw you out there and make you do everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Florida did destroy South Carolina today 44 to 11...

Im one class away from getting my bachelor's in health science online. Im also a non traditional,student. I will be applying next spring to medical school. There are several medical schools that are accepting online classes now, I have gotten emails confirming this from medical schools :)

Yep, go Gators!!

Another question...why not just finish your paramedic certification, then gain employment in Gainesville while attending school?

It may just be me, but I don't think one can learn microbiology online at a level that makes them viable for medical school. I could be wrong.

There are several medical schools that are accepting online classes now, I have gotten emails confirming this from medical schools :)

That may be, but one look at the MSAR shows that a lot of medical schools also don't accept online classes, especially for pre-reqs. And even if they do, online classes don't look as good as ones conducted in person, from what I've heard.

They did, but you are required to wear jean shorts (AKA jorts) in order to be considered for admission at UF. Big turn off.

They did, but you are required to wear jean shorts (AKA jorts) in order to be considered for admission at UF. Big turn off.

My uniform helped me get in, hahahaha.

Oh, and we are coming for you, Gatorbait ^^

I hear what you guys are saying about online classes not being looked upon favorably but one question I have is how will they know? The degree itself does not say anything about online classes (stated on their website) and as far as I know neither would indication be given on my transcript. For what it's worth all of my prereq's are/will be done in person.

I know there are a lot of other options but being able to finish my non-prereq classes online is really appealing as I don't want to relocate at this time.

Thanks for the input so far.

How do you do an online degree in Microbiology? It's a very hands-on and lab-heavy science. I don't see the purpose of this degree without the lab experience.

How do you do an online degree in Microbiology? It's a very hands-on and lab-heavy science. I don't see the purpose of this degree without the lab experience.

All labs are at regional campuses:

The required Microbiology lab courses are offered at Miami-Dade College, Santa Fe State College, Palm Beach State College Lake Worth Campus, the IFAS Indian River Research Center, and the IFAS Apopka Research Education Center. If you are not able to take the lab courses at one of these facilities, you may take an accelerated lab class at the Gainesville, FL campus that lasts approximately 9 days. Please contact your adviser for more details.

The more I look into this the more I like what I see, if anyone has any experience with this specific UF program or one like it please share.

I took BIO 100 (non major) online and it was hard after taking 2 years of gen chem and a year of gen major bio. Don't do it. The online labs are insanely time consuming and way more labor intensive than in the physical lab. And plus micro lab is fun. Of course i am biased because i am a trad microbio grad.

OP, be very careful with this. UF's online programs are very very intensive. Don't take them because you believe they will easy your load and keep you on track. I took a few online course through UF and I was really surprised that amount of time and work that was required. Online classes at UF often require more work then just sitting in the classroom however they do give you the advantage of being able to manipulate your schedule. If I were you keep the load light, one maybe two classes at most and after you finish your paramedics program fully transfer to UF and finish the program in the classroom.

OP, contact the medical schools you plan to apply to directly and ask them what they think.

I realize that this is an old thread, But I finished this program last year. While I'm pre-dent, if you all have any inquiries into this program, I'de be happy to answer as best as I could.

Reactions: 1 user
anything I should know or may have not considered?
hu11g.jpg

I realize that this is an old thread, But I finished this program last year. While I'm pre-dent, if you all have any inquiries into this program, I'de be happy to answer as best as I could.

New
Were you accepted into dental school? I'm also considering this program before dental school.

How would you rate your experience with UF online microbiology degree?

OP, be very careful with this. UF's online programs are very very intensive. Don't take them because you believe they will easy your load and keep you on track. I took a few online course through UF and I was really surprised that amount of time and work that was required. Online classes at UF often require more work then just sitting in the classroom however they do give you the advantage of being able to manipulate your schedule. If I were you keep the load light, one maybe two classes at most and after you finish your paramedics program fully transfer to UF and finish the program in the classroom.
How would you rate your experience with UF online microbiology degree?