UIC entering fall 2018 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How’re you guys prepping for the interview?

Members don't see this ad.

How’re you guys prepping for the interview?
I was thinking about watching some Youtube videos about prepping for professional school interviews.

Also, I would memorize most of my application and try to learn more about UIC and the Pharm program through their website. I think 'studying' my application and the school would prevent me from freezing up if someone asked a tough question. But that's just me. What about you guys??

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What are you guys planning to bring with you to interview day? I don't think we need to bring a resume, but I was wondering if we should bring a pen and notepad or anything?

i just found this thread, but i interviewed yesterday and got an acceptance email yesterday.

Reactions: 2 users
How long did it take them to get back to you since they notified you that application is under review?

Are you talking about Step 3 of the process? If so, then it took them like a day to get back to me with the interview invite.

Are you talking about Step 3 of the process? If so, then it took them like a day to get back to me with the interview invite.

Yes, step 3. They let me know last Friday and I'm still waiting to hear back. Has anyone else had an experience with them taking a while? Or is this a bad sign.

Yes, step 3. They let me know last Friday and I'm still waiting to hear back. Has anyone else had an experience with them taking a while? Or is this a bad sign.

I also received an interview today. Did you receive your invite last Friday?

it took about a week and a half for me to get an interview invite. to be fair, the email said it takes approx 2-3 weeks for review. i guess the length probably depends on how frequently the committee meets and where they are in the pile of applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not bad. I was stressing before but the P1 and P3 students were very welcoming and the day flew by.
Hi! Congratulations on your acceptance! Any tips for the interview? Also, do you mind sharing your stats?

Hi! Congratulations on your acceptance! Any tips for the interview? Also, do you mind sharing your stats?

Thank you! There’s honestly no way you can really prepare. The mock questions I found on google weren’t as helpful as I hoped. Just be yourself and breathe :)

cGPA: 3.4
PCAT: 78
Bachelor’s degree
5000+ hours of work
500+ hours of volunteering

Never mind, just got it today! Turns out I did not apply as ED...apparently I missed the checkbox which is very frustrating. But anyways, i guess that's why it took so long. Waiting for more interviews to pop up prior to oct 20th.

Good luck to everyone interviewing! Hopefully we'll see each other in the fall :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I am getting even more nervous as the interview is approaching. Can you give a brief overview of how the interview was? Like how long was each station, how many people were interviewing you at each station, what kind of questions were asked, etc?

Good luck to everyone interviewing! Hopefully we'll see each other in the fall :)
Hi! I am getting even more nervous as the interview is approaching. Can you give a brief overview of how the interview was? Like how long was each station, how many people were interviewing you at each station, what kind of questions were asked, etc?

Good luck to all the Oct 4 interviews today! I saw this question above but what did you guys bring to the interview? Like a briefcase...or is a purse/empty handed fine?

Good luck to all the Oct 4 interviews today! I saw this question above but what did you guys bring to the interview? Like a briefcase...or is a purse/empty handed fine?
I did not bring anything except my phone, wallet, and car keys. Also, don't be nervous (I know, easier said than done). You guys will have student ambassadors walking you through every step, and they will answer all of your concerns about the interview/program in general. Even though it goes by quickly, I would just suggest coming in well rested!

Hi everyone, I had my interview today and I received my acceptance email about two hours after my interview. Good luck to everyone and hope to see you in the Fall!

I interviewed yesterday and got an admissions offer a few hours after the interview ended. Can't wait to see everyone next fall! Good luck to everyone else applying and interviewing!

Hello all!!

I'm interviewing on the 17th. Fingers crossed .

Hi guys. I've been stalking this forum for awhile now :)
But I have an interview Oct 16!

Alright, I interviewed today and feel pretty weird about it. Definitely nothing worth getting super nervous about. The students were all great, as were the faculty. But the questions/writing prompts were odd. Fingers crossed though! It seems like a great place. Good luck to everyone.

are you guys interviewing at chicago or rockford?

im interviewing at Chicago the 16th, excited to get it over with. thank you everyone so far for the advice!

Well got in so I guess it went well!

Interviewed yesterday and accepted this morning! The “interview” process is very relaxed and simple. The actual interview/essay parts take less than an hour and the rest is a tour and student presentations. The questions are nothing you would ever expect and can not prepare for them, so no reason to worry. They are being honest when they say take a deep breath and be yourself. Everyone is very nice and friendly. Excited to meet everyone next fal!

Hi everyone,
Congrats on your acceptance bgtma05!
I will be attending in the Fall as well, I know this might be too soon. But, for those of you who are accepted or planning to attend, are you guys from the Chicago area? Cuz I have a few questions regarding housing and need help if any of you guys are also looking for housing for next year?
Thank you :)

Just accepted! I had my interview on the 16th and got an email this morning.
Will be attending Fall 2018.
UICphamF2018: Im from the chicago area and will probably be looking for housing too! :)

Congrats to everyone accepted!

During my interview the P1 and P3 students said apartments for rent around school are usually listed in the spring/summer. They also said a FB group will be made and that’ll be one way to find possible roommates.

Have you guys received the official mail offers yet?

No, it was a regular envelope. Additional information will be sent in the coming months.

I got mine on Monday :) I've gotten housing emails, but I'm not expecting a lot of other info until spring rolls around. It's still pretty early in the cycle.

I got mine today and it has less info than the acceptance email actually. Do you guys know what the deal is with getting your pharm tech license by august? Does the school help with this process at all?

I got mine today and it has less info than the acceptance email actually. Do you guys know what the deal is with getting your pharm tech license by august? Does the school help with this process at all?

I'm not sure if the school helps you get it, but it's really easy. I recently got mine over the summer to work at CVS.
You go to the IDFPR website (it won't let me post the link) and apply for a Pharm Tech license. You pay a small fee, and they'll send you your license via e-mail.

Hi everyone,
Congrats on your acceptance bgtma05!
I will be attending in the Fall as well, I know this might be too soon. But, for those of you who are accepted or planning to attend, are you guys from the Chicago area? Cuz I have a few questions regarding housing and need help if any of you guys are also looking for housing for next year?
Thank you :)

I'm from Chicago, and I'm at UIC for undergrad! What kind of questions do you have?

Accepted to UIC this morning after interviewing yesterday Nov-14-2017.

Hey guys! I'm planning on applying to UIC but I'm stuck on two things: 1) I can't decide which campus to pick! Main selling points for Chicago are that it's a big city like my hometown (Denver), option to live on-campus (so I wouldn't have to stress about finding an apartment from halfway across the country), and about 80% of the lectures are in-person. Main selling points for Rockford are in-state tuition (I'm OOS, but even OOS tuition is lower than in-state at CU Denver), lower cost of living, and smaller class sizes. So I guess why did you pick the campus that you did? 2) I'm having a hard time deciding what to write for my scholarship essay. It just seems like a duplicate of my personal statement. How did y'all differentiate your PS from your scholarship essay?

I'm not sure if the school helps you get it, but it's really easy. I recently got mine over the summer to work at CVS.
You go to the IDFPR website (it won't let me post the link) and apply for a Pharm Tech license. You pay a small fee, and they'll send you your license via e-mail.

Do you need to take a test? Or training?

Hey guys! I'm planning on applying to UIC but I'm stuck on two things: 1) I can't decide which campus to pick! Main selling points for Chicago are that it's a big city like my hometown (Denver), option to live on-campus (so I wouldn't have to stress about finding an apartment from halfway across the country), and about 80% of the lectures are in-person. Main selling points for Rockford are in-state tuition (I'm OOS, but even OOS tuition is lower than in-state at CU Denver), lower cost of living, and smaller class sizes. So I guess why did you pick the campus that you did? 2) I'm having a hard time deciding what to write for my scholarship essay. It just seems like a duplicate of my personal statement. How did y'all differentiate your PS from your scholarship essay?

Finding housing is not too stressful because you can just go through rental companies and they’re understanding that you can’t be there in person. Do some google searches now to see what your housing options are in that area. However, instate tuition is good because you’d save half of your money in the end. It’s kind of ridiculous how expensive it can get. I chose Chicago because I wanted to be near the city.
My scholarship essay was kinda a less humble, to the point summary of my application. It gets verrryy repetitive but the scholarship committee only reads that one essay so don’t worry about that.

Do you need to take a test? Or training?
Nope. Not at all! If anything you'd need to get certified within two years and take a test, but since we're going to pharmacy school... you don't need to.

Just wanted to share I got an interview invite for the Chicago campus this evening! Now I just need to figure out how I’m going to get there and where I’m going to stay. I saw online that they offer on-campus guest housing, has anyone here tried that? Or if you had a hotel, any opinions or suggestions?

Another question, does anyone know if you can bring a friend or family member to your interview? My interview at University of Colorado allowed up to two guests, and they had a separate presentation and tour of the campus while we were interviewing.