Um.....so what the hell can I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MattVike12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating going back to school to take some undergrad courses to boost my GPA from a lackluster past. The problem is, I already graduated and it seems that I'm not eligible for loans b/c of this. I have no way of paying for school without loans. Does anybody have any advice? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a job? Mine only does $4000/year in tuition reimbursement, but it beats paying for it yourself. I'm paying for my new undergraduate courses out of savings + what my company is reimbursing...

I worked in a lab to pay for post-bacc. However after 1.5 years of that, it still sucked (cost, and registration stuff), so went to grad school:). Can't beat going to school for free, and on top of that being paid a salary;). However you lease your soul to the school, and graduate coursework does not add anything to undergrad GPA. Only trick to that is to take undergrad elective courses while in grad school (if they allow it), which counts as post-bacc.

Members don't see this ad :)
windycitycassie said:
Do you have a job? Mine only does $4000/year in tuition reimbursement, but it beats paying for it yourself. I'm paying for my new undergraduate courses out of savings + what my company is reimbursing...

I have heard (I think on here) that you can go for a second degree, and that way you can take out loans. Is there any truth to this? Also, I don't need / want to get an entirely new, separate degree. Would I be able to ACT as though I'm going for it, only to take around 30 hours or so, then bail?

I honestly don't know the answer...in regards to a 2nd Bachelor's and getting financial aid. What relentless suggested will get aid though - ie, applying and entering into a Master's program.

windycitycassie said:
I honestly don't know the answer...in regards to a 2nd Bachelor's and getting financial aid. What relentless suggested will get aid though - ie, applying and entering into a Master's program.

True....and that might be a good option. The only problem is that, one, I only need around 30 hours or so. Two, grad GPA doesn't help my undergraduate GPA. And, three, that's a bunch of extra money b/c graduate school is more expensive. Who knows??? Thanks for your replies.

Have you consider the SMP-type of programs? They are degree granting and therefore you qualify for loans and they are aimed at academic enhancers.

MattVike12 said:
I have heard (I think on here) that you can go for a second degree, and that way you can take out loans. Is there any truth to this? Also, I don't need / want to get an entirely new, separate degree. Would I be able to ACT as though I'm going for it, only to take around 30 hours or so, then bail?

i dont know which state you are from, but San Francisco State University has a 2nd-bac program for postbacc kids in which you can enroll in the university as a 2nd bachelor's student and get financial aid (they know you won't stay to finish the degree, its basically a way to get around enrolling in postbacc classes without having financial aid), but its a program you ahve to apply to and the fall deadline is already over...the spring deadline, however, is in august, so you may want to look it up...a good resource website for postbaccs is http://services.aamc.org/postbac/
you can look up specific postbaccs in your state

IWannaBe-A-Dr said:
i dont know which state you are from, but San Francisco State University has a 2nd-bac program for postbacc kids in which you can enroll in the university as a 2nd bachelor's student and get financial aid (they know you won't stay to finish the degree, its basically a way to get around enrolling in postbacc classes without having financial aid), but its a program you ahve to apply to and the fall deadline is already over...the spring deadline, however, is in august, so you may want to look it up...a good resource website for postbaccs is http://services.aamc.org/postbac/
you can look up specific postbaccs in your state

I think I figured out what to do. I have been told by the Ohio State financial aid office that I CAN go back and get a second degree. I was also told that they don't scrutinize what classes I'm taking (again, I just need around 30 hours of advanced science, regardless of area). That way, once I go for 2-3 quarters, I just stop. I'll probably have to put on loan apps what my "major" will be (tee hee ;)), then just sign up for classes as I normally would. I'm a sneaky little boy...