UMass vs Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raisinbran-crunch

Reaction score
UMass
Pros

• New curriculum, seems pretty cool, and I think it will fit my learning style
  • Has a 3-year track for primary care that you have to apply into -- there's no guarantee I can get it, though.
  • WIN week curriculum... kind of intended to alleviate some stress which is pretty cool
  • Received a fat donation recently, should see an increase in resources/quality over the next couple years
  • Marginally higher ranking than Tufts (but does this even matter), but top 10 in primary care

Cons

• OOS tuition. No financial aid package received yet, but estimating about 400k in loans
  • Patient population is kinda exclusive to that of Western Mass

Tufts
Pros

• Love the curriculum much more than UMass's + has a super cool Anatomy lab
  • In the middle of Boston. Research opportunities are super robust
  • Marginally less expensive (about 330k-ish in loans)
  • Match list is impressive
  • Optional classes (not sure if that's the case at UMass)

Cons

• Not as "prestigious" but still a recognizable name (this doesn't really matter to me, but maybe to residencies?)
  • The area itself is pretty expensive
  • Monday exams for most of first year

Summary: Other than the ~$60-80k cost of attendance difference, both schools seem pretty comparable to me.

Edit: chose Tufts. Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd go with Tuft. The cons for Tuft seem a lot better than the cons for UMass. I agree, the prestige of both are comparable (I actually thought Tufts was more prestigious than UMass), so there really isn't any difference there. Plus being less expensive is a massive pro.

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont think umass is more prestigious than tufts i think tufts is-but theyre very similar in that sense. I live in cambridge right now and have lived in and around boston for the past few years and i am so upset that i have to leave. its such a good place to be for school, work, or living. seeing as tufts is less expensive and is in a more desirable area i would pick tufts over umass

i dont think umass is more prestigious than tufts i think tufts is-but theyre very similar in that sense. I live in cambridge right now and have lived in and around boston for the past few years and i am so upset that i have to leave. its such a good place to be for school, work, or living. seeing as tufts is less expensive and is in a more desirable area i would pick tufts over umass
I second this-- live in Cambridge, have been here for almost a decade (ug + worked a couple years), and am very sad about leaving. Go to Tufts! Boston is WAY nicer than Worcester.

Yeah I don't know where you're getting that UMass is more prestigious than Tufts (I hope you're not comparing the US News rankings where UMass is 44 to Tufts 53, which at this tier and at this differential, does not matter in the least.

In terms of name recognition, Tufts has a good university reputation, and it's in Boston. There's no difference in matching.

I think I remember hearing on interview day that Tufts students were frustrated with their clinical rotations placement. Since Tufts hospital is pretty small, and they just closed their children's hospital last year, it would be worth considering that UMass will likely give you rotations much closer to the school itself and you will not be fighting over the rotation sites with the hundreds of other medical students like you would in Boston. I only heard this from two students though so might not be a huge issue.

Reactions: 1 user