UMD vs UVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school to attend?

• Total voters

SAILDoc4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to UVASOM and UMDSOM and am looking for some SDN advice on which school to attend. I liked the overall feel of UMD and have a strong network of friends and family in the nearby areas, but not too excited about the grading system or the lower rankings. I really like the curriculum and pass/fail system at UVA, but didn't like the overall feel as much as UMD. My plan is to match into a pretty competitive surgical residency, so I want to attend the school that will help to set me up best for this. I am in state at UMD. Any advice on which school to pick is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have been accepted to UVASOM and UMDSOM and am looking for some SDN advice on which school to attend. I liked the overall feel of UMD and have a strong network of friends and family in the nearby areas, but not too excited about the grading system or the lower rankings. I really like the curriculum and pass/fail system at UVA, but didn't like the overall feel as much as UMD. My plan is to match into a pretty competitive surgical residency, so I want to attend the school that will help to set me up best for this. I am in state at UMD. Any advice on which school to pick is greatly appreciated.
Hey Just curious on what your decision was. I am in the exact same position and think I am going to go to UVA. I also had the exact same feelings about the atmospheres of the schools!

I decided on Maryland! The experiences at shock trauma, in state tuition, and a sizable scholarship offer pushed UM ahead for me. Either place would have been great though. Good luck making a decision, I know it is a tough one.

Hey Just curious on what your decision was. I am in the exact same position and think I am going to go to UVA. I also had the exact same feelings about the atmospheres of the schools!