UMDNJ-SOM Discussion Thread 2012 -2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey all. does anyone know how many seats are full in the current class, and how many people are generally taken of the waitlist each year? I understand the waitlist moves quite a bit, but I am on UMDNJ-SOM's waitlist and just want to determine whether I should be optimistic about getting off it. I'm located on the upper third of the list. thanks

They ranked the WL already?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm OOS can I apply and still get an II here?

cGPA: 3.67, sGPA: 3.51, MCAT 29S balanced

I'm OOS can I apply and still get an II here?

cGPA: 3.67, sGPA: 3.51, MCAT 29S balanced

Have you applied anywhere else yet this cycle? If yes, it's worth a shot to apply. If no, I suggest waiting until next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey all. does anyone know how many seats are full in the current class, and how many people are generally taken of the waitlist each year? I understand the waitlist moves quite a bit, but I am on UMDNJ-SOM's waitlist and just want to determine whether I should be optimistic about getting off it. I'm located on the upper third of the list. thanks

I heard from a friend that is involved with the university that there were about 70 seats open prior to this last round of acceptances. I don't know how many got in during this last round but I'd say there has to be at least 30 seats still.

Got an interview invite here for mid-February. Was complete in early October.

I heard from a friend that is involved with the university that there were about 70 seats open prior to this last round of acceptances. I don't know how many got in during this last round but I'd say there has to be at least 30 seats still.

I was on the wait list last year. I interviewed late in the cycle when there as only a handful of seats left. When I found out my rank I was also in the top third of the wait-list. They had also told me that they had gotten to that place on the wait list the last three years n a row, I however wasn't so lucky.

The good news is that after not being taken off of the wait list, I was accepted in September for the class of 2017 and couldn't be more happy.

Let me know if you have any additional question.

I was on the wait list last year. I interviewed late in the cycle when there as only a handful of seats left. When I found out my rank I was also in the top third of the wait-list. They had also told me that they had gotten to that place on the wait list the last three years n a row, I however wasn't so lucky.

The good news is that after not being taken off of the wait list, I was accepted in September for the class of 2017 and couldn't be more happy.

When did you apply and interview?

Withdrew from the waitlist last week, OOS applicant. Hope that frees up some space for someone else.

Good luck to all the interviewee's I saw in the admissions office today...

Does anyone know when accepted students need to fill out the fafsa and get health forms in?

thanks for your post; it was definitely reassuring and did clear a few things up. one follow-up question: did you change anything in your application when you applied this cycle, or did you simply apply much earlier? thanks again!

thanks for your post; it was definitely reassuring and did clear a few things up. one follow-up question: did you change anything in your application when you applied this cycle, or did you simply apply much earlier? thanks again!

Your welcome. And I didn't really change much. Mostly just adjusted my application slightly with plans for the upcoming year. And yes I applied on the very first day the aacomas were open.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what accepting the 5k/year scholarship does or does not lock you into. The language of the form seems to indicate that it fully commits you to 4 years there. While I'm nearly positive I'll be there next year but I'm still waiting on one more decision. Thanks.

Your welcome. And I didn't really change much. Mostly just adjusted my application slightly with plans for the upcoming year. And yes I applied on the very first day the aacomas were open.

I wish I had enough hope to wait another year. But I really don't. This def helps though. I was told I would placed in the top 1/3rd so maybe there will be some serious movement. Still keeping the dream alive.

I wish I had enough hope to wait another year. But I really don't. This def helps though. I was told I would placed in the top 1/3rd so maybe there will be some serious movement. Still keeping the dream alive.

What are your other plans Rather than reapply

Good luck to the interviewees I met in the admissions office this afternoon. At least you only have to wait 24 hours for your call!

I think the committee meets tomorrow. Good luck to everyone!

Anybody get a call? Seems like there's no movement on this message board.

Yeah so with the lack of activity with the recent Friday decision day that just passed, was there really only a handful of kids accepted this round?

Judging by sdn and the facebook group it seemed like 3-5 people got in...........

I am In-State. 3.4 CGPA. 3.1 SGPA. 29Q (10B 10PS 9V) and the most
recent MCAT: 31P (12 B 11 PS 8V)
Decent to good EC's
Good LOR's
Good Interview

I knew my chances didn't exactly solidify my chances at acceptance but I thought they were pretty good. Should I really have hope for Monday to get called and accepted when there were some acceptances given out today?

Yea, I didn't get a call either, and I thought my interview went pretty well...I think they gave out all the calls today unfortunately =/

Just got alternate list mail. Is there no movement until May for sure if you don't send grades/mcat updates? How likely is it to get off waitlist if I was top 10% on waitlist?

Just got alternate list mail. Is there no movement until May for sure if you don't send grades/mcat updates? How likely is it to get off waitlist if I was top 10% on waitlist?

Top 10% is very likely from what I've heard. Don't give up your spot.

Top 10% is very likely from what I've heard. Don't give up your spot.

Thanks Dr SunDai. Do you know how large the waitlist is or around how many people get waitlisted from previous years? I heard I can either go up or down on the waitlist depending on how many more people are interviewed or decide to give up their spot.

I don't know how true this is, but friends of mine who go to med school and grad school here told me last year only 2 to 5 people were taken off the waitlist in May. Just what I heard, hopefully it's higher than that.

A few people get off in May because SOM is still waiting on the accepted who are on the fence with the school (they have to decide by mid-May). But by June-July, a very good portion of the waitlist are accepted.

If you do not receive funds then you are not obligated to anything. You can feel free to accept the scholarship for now and turn down the acceptance at a later date if you decide to go to school elsewhere.

What are your other plans Rather than reapply

My plans are to pray like hell lol.

No, I got into SGU Medical School and will probably attend there. If I get into any other DO school I will go there over SGU because I would like a DO as opposed to an MD. Of course my top top choice is UMDNJ.

If anyone knows a current or recent UMDNJ (or Rowan) student that came from out of state and would be willing to talk, please PM me!

Also, what changes will there be (if any) to UMDNJ-SOM's hospital affiliation status?
Thanks

Last edited:
If anyone is looking for a roommate, send me a PM.

Last edited:
If anyone knows a current or recent UMDNJ (or Rowan) student that came from out of state and would be willing to talk, please PM me!

Also, what changes will there be (if any) to UMDNJ-SOM's hospital affiliation status?
Thanks

We have not been told of any affiliation changes. So far we should be maintaining everything related to hospital affiliations.

We have not been told of any affiliation changes. So far we should be maintaining everything related to hospital affiliations.

Cool. This is one thing that makes UMDNJ stand out compared to most DO schools!

Does anybody know if there is a facebook group for accepted students for the class of 2017?

best of luck to those waiting for interviews! :)

Having an interview in a couple of weeks, what kind of questions will there b? What are some medical concerns of south jersey

Having an interview in a couple of weeks, what kind of questions will there b? What are some medical concerns of south jersey

Check the interview feedback on SDN, in addition, look through the this forum and past forms. A lot of people post what kind of questions were asked. I'm pretty sure I did as well.

I was wondering if someone might know the answers to the following questions. Thanks.

Does anyone know what the pass rate is for class examinations?
How does the patient simulation lab work- are their separate examination rooms- when I went for my interview we didn't talk about it?
What percentage of individuals get into their first choice residency program?

I was wondering if someone might know the answers to the following questions. Thanks.

How does the patient simulation lab work- are their separate examination rooms- when I went for my interview we didn't talk about it?

The exam rooms are separate (not sure that I've ever seen exam rooms that weren't separate) and resembled typical doctors' offices. We got to see them although I don't remember whether there are cameras or a one-way mirror for the instructors to evaluate the students.
Dunno about the other questions.

They had one-way mirrors for instructors from what I remember of SPs if that's what you're talking about.

Thank you for answering my question, we didn't get to see the exam rooms for patient simulation in our tour

Patient simulation labs have one way mirrors and A/V recording capabilities.

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this question was asked before, but does anyone know if the waitlist moves a lot?

Anyone interviewing next Tues morning (02/19) and flying into PHL wanna split a cab to the campus? PM me if interested!