UMDNJ-SOM Discussion Thread 2012 -2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are interviews given via telephone or email? I'm still hoping it's not too late for an invite.

Notification of interview invite is given by phone

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
guest2000, I responded to your PM but your inbox was full

Were you waitlisted then accepted? I saw you were waiting to be called in February.

I got a call from the admissions director about a week and half ago... she said the school "doesnt waitlist people"... after the class is full... they place applications on hold after the interviews and as people start dropping their acceptances, they start reviewing the files on hold (sounds like a waitlist to me).

I got a call from the admissions director about a week and half ago... she said the school "doesnt waitlist people"... after the class is full... they place applications on hold after the interviews and as people start dropping their acceptances, they start reviewing the files on hold (sounds like a waitlist to me).

Ah, I see. That makes sense. Wow must've been quite a surprise. Congrats!

Hello!

Congrats on the acceptance WonderWoman! I'm so happy for you!

Earlier, you said you were looking for a roommate, are you still? Let me know if you are! Send me an email at [email protected], that's the best way to contact me.

Congrats again! See you in August!

So I guess the list is moving then? Ohhh exciting times

Members don't see this ad :)
UMDNJ-SOM is hosting its Annual Open House on April 19 - 12 to 4pm. The event is FREE. Register at som.umdnj.edu/education/admissions/openHouse.html or call 856-566-7050.

This will be a great opportunity to express continued interest for the current cycle, as well as learn more about the medical school if you are applying for the 2014 cycle.

whats going on 2017! did anyone hear any news about merit scholarships yet?

Not sure how they're doing notifications this year. Last year, for the most part, students were notified at acceptance of merit scholarships.

My friend was notified at acceptance of a scholarship. She declined acceptance for an MD school though (make more room for waitlisted folk).

I just called admissions, and she stated they are done interviewing and won't be interviewing anyone else. If you haven't gotten one yet, you'll be getting a letter or email soon.

I just called admissions, and she stated they are done interviewing and won't be interviewing anyone else. If you haven't gotten one yet, you'll be getting a letter or email soon.

Who did you talk to? I called yesterday and they said they're interviewing through April lol. I believe it was Marisol.

Who did you talk to? I called yesterday and they said they're interviewing through April lol. I believe it was Marisol.
Dang... She didn't say her name.. she just answered with, "Admissions." So friendly haha

Dang... She didn't say her name.. she just answered with, "Admissions." So friendly haha

They are interviewing through April, but the spots for those interviews have already been given out. Interviews end the second week of April.

Hello everyone!

I'm currently looking for a roommate! I have applications to hold apartments at The Village and KingsRow, but I'm also open to other options. I prefer something close to the school, and the roommate be female only. Let me know if you're interested! I'm also part of the UMDNJ Class of 2017 group on Facebook, so message me on there as well (my name is Desiree Hykes).

Thanks everyone!

I'm applying for this up coming cycle and would like a head start, can anyone tell me the supplemental questions for this school? Thanks a bunch!

Any opinion about Brookview Manor Apartments and Bishop stratford apartments?

The math req for this school is (6) credit hours. I've taken college alg (3) and pre-calc (3) in college. I took them in high school as well, so I have an A in both. Would this fulfill the (6) hour req? or do they need to be above this level?

Take Calc I in your university! and get an A in it. That will raise your GPA and looks good in your application.

I don't have any time to take it. I would, but I'm graduating this Christmas and I'm already over a full load for the fall.

In that case, my suggestion is to contact the admissions department, talk to Paula Watkins, and get that cleared up! cz as far as I know, the algebra class can cause some trouble.

Any idea how open this school is to deferred matriculation? I'm in a tough financial situation right now, and there are a lot of changes in my work and extracurriculars that I'd like to see come to fruition. I'm fairly certain I'd want to matriculate in 2014. Its something I've thought about for a couple months, and I'm leaning towards doing it, but only if its possible.

Any idea how open this school is to deferred matriculation? I'm in a tough financial situation right now, and there are a lot of changes in my work and extracurriculars that I'd like to see come to fruition. I'm fairly certain I'd want to matriculate in 2014. Its something I've thought about for a couple months, and I'm leaning towards doing it, but only if its possible.

I am not sure about deferred matriculation policy for this school. My suggestion is to talk to Paula Watkins or MS Erin Caulfield! They will lead you to right path!!

I am not sure about deferred matriculation policy for this school. My suggestion is to talk to Paula Watkins or MS Erin Caulfield! They will lead you to right path!!

I'm a gen surg resident at UMDNJ. I own a home about 12 mins from Stratford and am looking to rent out my finished basement. PM me for details!

Alrighty thanks. I shadow a DO who graduated from UMDNJ and I'd really like to follow in his footsteps, but I don't want the math thing to hold me back. I've send a general email to UMDNJ but I'll send another to Paula Watkins. Thanks for the information!

Anytime!
One personal suggestion, Call them! It will have a good outcome!

I haven't heard of many cases of deferred matriculation. I would highly encourage you matriculate in August. Explain your situation to the school, they may have a solution to help you out. Extracurricular activities come and go and can be done at anytime. Don't delay starting. If you have questions, feel free to PM

I have a friend who deferred matriculation here last cycle and is starting this Fall. It has and can and will continue to be done, that's why it's an option. Do what you think you need to do, not what others tell you to do :thumbup:

I have a friend who deferred matriculation here last cycle and is starting this Fall. It has and can and will continue to be done, that's why it's an option. Do what you think you need to do, not what others tell you to do :thumbup:

Thanks. It's a huge decision, so I'm going to sit on it for another week and talk about it with my family, who would probably persuade me to attend this fall, but I'm glad to know its an option.

I had a friend who deferred without much reason. Just wanted an extra year to live life before the next 7 years were planned out for him. From what I've heard, it's not that hard to do.

Would anyone be able to share some PROs and CONs of the PBL program here at SOM?

How does the med school experience compare to the traditional format.

Any insight, thoughts, or opinions would be appreciated THANKS!

Last edited:
Gave up my acceptance here last week. I hope it goes to one of you other deserving applicants!!!

Would anyone be able to share some PROs and CONs of the PBL program here at SOM?

How does the med school experience compare to the traditional format.

Any insight, thoughts, or opinions would be appreciated THANKS!

If you're on the Facebook group there was a post about this, they gave some names of ppl you could get in touch with about it, at least one of which is in the group.

Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone knows how much waitlist movement is generally expected?

Can someone in the bottom half get off the waitlist?

Good luck. I am still hoping I get off the waitlist.

I was just accepted to PCOM, and they offered me a very good scholarship that I can't refuse.

I loved Rowan, and I have a soft spot for them, but I'll be withdrawing Monday. I hope that one of you get my spot!