UMN PASS 2017-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

proxy1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let´s get talking guys... any IVs, acceptances, waitlists, rejections, let´s share.... Good luck to us all!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know what are the dates of the IVs that has been given until today ?

Anyone has any update from UMN regarding the interview invitation and interview experience.

I got my rejection yesterday. Anyone has any idea wat are they looking in a applicant for their prog? My ece is 3.18, toefl- 112, 1-1/2yr home country experience, volunteer dental assistant in USA hospital and in a private clinic. and mentor in community education prog. Any please help!!

Hi rosy, I am not sure what they are looking for but I have heard they look for really strong profiles. Can you please tell me when was your completion date?

Hi shivi81.. Thanks for replying... I submitted my application on March 11. I graduated on 2009 with ECE- 3.18. Did 1-1/2 year practice as a dentist and tutor in a dental college, volunteer dental assistant in Westchester Medical Hospital dental clinic for 6 month, volunteer dental assistant/job shadowing in private clinic for 10 month, and mentor for SMART prog for kids performing below grade. Also did lot of CDE courses and attended seminars. But I took break for 3 years for health reasons. Do you think this affects my application?

Last edited:
Hi shivi81.. Thanks for replying... I submitted my application on March 11. I graduated on 2009 with ECE- 3.18. Did 1-1/2 year practice as a dentist and tutor in a dental college, volunteer dental assistant in Westchester Medical Hospital dental clinic for 6 month, volunteer dental assistant/job shadowing in private clinic for 10 month, and mentor for SMART prog for kids performing below grade. Also did lot of CDE courses and attended seminars. But I took break for 3 years for health reasons. Do you think this affects my application?

sorry about the rejection 1112rosy, i don´t think a break for health reasons should impact negatively on your application. You have good stats too. now i´m getting the shivers :scared:

There have already accepted 5 candidates as of today!!

do you know when the last IV section was?
I know they had two batches last week, Monday and Wednesday, 7 in total were interviewed! There is more interviews for sure I saw on Facebook CAAPID 2016 group, people have interviews in May, all the best to everyone who applied!

I know they had two batches last week, Monday and Wednesday, 7 in total were interviewed! There is more interviews for sure I saw on Facebook CAAPID 2016 group, people have interviews in May, all the best to everyone who applied!

thanks for the info mbita_dds...all the best to us still waiting for IVs!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know I am very late for application but can I apply now for UMN??
Any suggestions??

Hi, can you please tell how did you know there are five people?
I am the 5th to be accepted, i interviewed there 2 weeks ago. Its an amazing school!! Great people! I really wish you the best of luck to get called for an interview. They interview 4 people each time and usually pick 1 i guess, so when you get called for an interview you have 25% chance of getting in your hands! Give it all you got and just pray!!!

Congrats Mbita_DDS!! Can you please share your stats, interview and simulation test experience? Thanks in advance.

hi...i need one more suggestion from you if you can.
I have heard that people do MPH or dental hygienist while applying for DDS so according to you which is better to attend?
Please mention pros and cons of each
It would be a great help from your side

Congrats Mbita_DDS!! Can you please share your stats, interview and simulation test experience? Thanks in advance.
Thanks! My Stats are all over the place really!! At UMN they use a holistic approach, they look at everything!! The interview was relaxed, they really want you to be comfortable and be you, they truly want to see the real you, so be your genuine self! The simulation test was a class I on tooth 19/36, using the simulator, they will show how to use it, and you will practice for 10 minutes, followed with a 10 minutes test, just dont mess it and get below 75! And of course they check also your posture and position with regard to yourself and the manikin and how you hold your handpiece and finger rest, which are all basic!! Dont worry about it! I think the your profile and how you fit with the school is what matters, so interview is key, and prior to that your SOP and PROFILE in general is the key to get you to the interview!!!

Thanks! My Stats are all over the place really!! At UMN they use a holistic approach, they look at everything!! The interview was relaxed, they really want you to be comfortable and be you, they truly want to see the real you, so be your genuine self! The simulation test was a class I on tooth 19/36, using the simulator, they will show how to use it, and you will practice for 10 minutes, followed with a 10 minutes test, just dont mess it and get below 75! And of course they check also your posture and position with regard to yourself and the manikin and how you hold your handpiece and finger rest, which are all basic!! Dont worry about it! I think the your profile and how you fit with the school is what matters, so interview is key, and prior to that your SOP and PROFILE in general is the key to get you to the interview!!!

wow!! congrats Mbita_dds! :) still hoping to hear from them too.

hi...i need one more suggestion from you if you can.
I have heard that people do MPH or dental hygienist while applying for DDS so according to you which is better to attend?
Please mention pros and cons of each
It would be a great help from your side

hi teddy84, I´m just a beginner like you so i do not have much experience in any of the areas but if i were to choose between doing an mph or dental hygiene, i would def do the MPH because its a higher degree than dental hygiene since its a masters and its a very vast course so you can find employment in many fields depending on your interest in case DDS takes a bit longer than expected to come along.......my 2 pennies

Hi Odont, did you get offer? How was your interview? Can you please share your statistics? I am still waiting for interview nervously!

Hi Odont, did you get offer? How was your interview? Can you please share your statistics? I am still waiting for interview nervously!
Hi my interview is on May 16, but i got the I.V call and email in April. Sorry for the confusion. When is your interview?

hi mbita_dds, if you don´t mind, please do post your stats here one more time for some of us. i went through your posts but could not find any having your stats. just to know if some of us may have a chance.

H
Hi my interview is on May 16, but i got the I.V call and email in April. Sorry for the confusion. When is your interview?
Hi Odont, I am still waiting for interview eagerly :(

Hey I have an interview on May 16. Do u know how many people they are interviewing?

4 people per batch, 1 batch a week (at least, sometimes 2 batches per week)... ivs started by mid March I believe.... so, maybe around 30-40 candidates have been interviewed already..... not sure though.

Last edited:
I was told by other candidate that there are already 6 accepted.... but it is not confirmed.

Reactions: 1 user
hi teddy84, I´m just a beginner like you so i do not have much experience in any of the areas but if i were to choose between doing an mph or dental hygiene, i would def do the MPH because its a higher degree than dental hygiene since its a masters and its a very vast course so you can find employment in many fields depending on your interest in case DDS takes a bit longer than expected to come along.......my 2 pennies
Thanx a lot

I got update today that I was not selected for Interview for now and my application is still active incase if they decide to call anybody in future. It looks like polite and political way of saying rejection!!! Anyway I am keeping my hopes up. Good luck guys.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got update today that I was not selected for Interview for now and my application is still active incase if they decide to call anybody in future. It looks like polite and political way of saying rejection!!! Anyway I am keeping my hopes up. Good luck guys.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I got the same letter today, "However, we are keeping your file active and will notify you in the event that you will be invented for interview". Do we still have hope or is this just a rejection said indirectly with polite words?

Sorry to hear that guys. We were told at our interview that they do 2 lists, the acceptance list (16 seats) and the wait list (12 people to call in case any accepted one does not confirm or drop). I believe those 12 are from the interviewed ones.

Last edited: