Unbalanced MCAT (8, 10, 13), 3.9 GPA, need help with list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thefuzzybuffalo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off...I'm not retaking the MCAT. I made a 31, PS 8, VR 10, BS 13. I'm a TX resident, so I feel I still have a good shot at getting in somewhere even with the 8 in PS. I made A's in both physics and chemistry, I just panicked at the beginning of the MCAT that set me behind 5-7 minutes which resulted in a lot of guessing. I'm a mom with 2 kids under the age of 4, so studying for the new MCAT and doing well before I apply in June just won't happen.

I'm a non-trad (27), work as a scribe, have my own business, volunteered 200+ hrs, and will hopefully have research lined up for the summer. I'm confident in my LOR, EC's etc.

Can any of you help me with my list? I'm planning on going military (the HPSP scholarship), so cost isn't a factor. Location is a factor for me--I want a school where I know my family will be happy. I'd love to go to anywhere Florida (I lived there for 10 years, but I'm worried they won't consider me due to my TX residency).

Are there schools who are more "lenient" toward students on the low-end of PS? As of right now, I'm only looking at MD schools.

Here's my current long list:

Florida:

1). Central Florida

2). FIU-Wertheim

3). Florida Atlantic-Schmidt

4). Miami-Miller

5). USF-Morsani

California:

6). Loma Linda

Illinois:

7). Rush Medical College

8). University of Illinois

9). Chicago Medical School at Rosalind

10). Loyola University

Louisiana:

11). LSU New Orleans

North Carolina:

12). Wake Forest

13). University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

South Carolina:

14). Medical University of S. Carolina

15). University of South Carolina

16). University of South Carolina (Greenville)

Texas

17). Texas Tech Paul Foster

18). UT San Antonio

19). UTMB

20). UT Houston

21). UT Southwestern

Virginia:

22). Eastern Virginia

23). Virginia Commonwealth

Rhode Island:

24). Brown

Alabama:

25). Alabama

26). South Alabama

Washington

27). University of Washington

Members don't see this ad.

I would skip most of the OOS public schools, as they typically only admit ~10% of those out of state. You will have a better chance if you want to go out of state at private schools. There are some exceptions to this, of course.

I recommend buying the MSAR and looking at OOS admission statistics.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks radiologyology, yes, I bought the MSAR. I understand most OOS schools only accept 10%, but I did notice from my research that these OOS public schools also had far fewer applications from OOS students. For example, I don't see how I'd have more of a shot at Rush which receives 9000+ applications than I would at a Florida school that receives 2000.

I guess I could do the math... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
An 8 in PS is acceptable. It's not pretty, but it's acceptable. Get rid of the OOS state schools that don't really matriculate very few OOS applicants, and you should be fine.

I like your chances. Any reason you aren't applying to Texas Tech in Lubbock or Texas A&M? It wouldn't cost much more to include them. Also, make sure you fit Loma Linda's mission before applying there!

Oooo you're right gyngyn. Didn't think of that.

At Texans012013, I would love to go to either school. I'll definitely apply. However, neither are a realistic option for me unless I want a very unhappy husband/kids. My husband is a software engineer and we need to live in city where I know he'll find work. Lubbock and Bryan might be a stretch.

Here's my updated list. I also added the two new Texas schools that I just found out about. Any thoughts? I'd like 1 or 2 more.

Texas

1. UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas

2. UT Medical Branch at Galveston

3. UT Health Science Center at Houston Medical School

4. UT School of Medicine at San Antonio

5. Texas A&M University System Health Science Center, College of Medicine

6. Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine in Lubbock

7. Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L. Foster School of Medicine at El Paso

8. The University of Texas at Austin Dell Medical School*

9. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine*

Florida

10. FIU-Wertheim

11. Florida Atlantic-Schmidt

12. Miami-Miller

13. UCF

14. USF-Morsani

North Carolina

15. Wake Forest (Dream School)

Rhode Island

16. Brown-Alpert (Dream School)

Missouri

17. St. Louis

Illinois

18. Chicago Med Franklin

19. Rush

It is a good strategy to apply to all the Texas schools and with your stats I expect that you will receive some interview and at least one acceptance. Texas is one of the better states for residency when applying to medical schools. Your OOS choices are fine but understand that up to 90% of Texas residents accepted to medical school attend Texas schools.

You shouldn't need to attend, but I'd highly advise throwing in TCOM. It's DO, but it has a great reputation, good location and looks favorably on nontrads. Also, you may not realize in your reluctance to apply to A&M that you are only required to be in Bryan for the first year and a half. Then, Round Rock and Temple are near enough to Austin for hubbys work and Houston and Dallas are options as well. Also, have you given any thought to Tulane?

Reactions: 1 users
So few TX applicants matriculate that the number of interviews at OOS schools has dwindled over time. Your best chances are in TX. Last year out of 3870 TX applicants only 193 matriculated OOS.
Compare this to CA where 1436 of 5920 went OOS.

I should also mention that I am coming back from a 24 MCAT in August (8, 8, 8). I also may be considered URM...my dad was born and raised in Peru. I'm not sure if that qualifies me, I have to check up on it.

I should also mention that I am coming back from a 24 MCAT in August (8, 8, 8). I also may be considered URM...my dad was born and raised in Peru. I'm not sure if that qualifies me, I have to check up on it.
South Americans are not generally considered under-represented in medicine. Language skills are always a plus, though.

@gyngyn, wow only 193??? Should I not even bother applying oos? Will other schools immediately reject me?
The yield on TX interviews is so low that unless you are a candidate for recruitment $, we know you will stay in TX.

Like mentioned earlier, if this has any effect on if you apply or not: Texas Tech in Lubbock allows you to spend 2 years in Lubbock before finishing in Lubbock, Amarillo, or Permian Basin. Texas A&M allows you to spend 1 year in Bryan/College Station before spending years 2-4 in Dallas, Houston, Round Rock, Temple, or stay in B/CS. (For Houston track you spend 1.5 yrs in B/CS before moving).

Texas Tech Lubbock states they take the highest MCAT score in the past 5 years. I believe the other TX schools take the most recent score (so they don't average all MCAT's taken like some other schools do), though they can still see all of them. I definitely think you'll have success for the Texas schools. I applied with pretty similar stats (slightly lower MCAT, including an 8 in BS section, which is probably worse than an 8 in PS, and had multiple acceptances). Make sure you apply early, good luck!

Reactions: 3 users