Unbalanced mcat...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meddreamer1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My gf took mcat twice: 127/123/125/123 - 498 and 131/124/130/121 - 506 and 3.91 gpa
How will adcoms think of those cars and psy sections?
She's really scared cuz she is esl and a new immigrant to the us just 4 yrs ago so those are a bit too hard for her. She couldn't keep up with reading so ran out of time for those sections but when she tried to read faster in some passages, she would not really understand it and so resulted in lower psy section...
BUt when doing practices without timing, she could score a lot higher than that but she already spent 4 months in summer practicing reading section and doesn't want to retake anymore.
She's aiming for MD and plan to apply next cycle...Does she have any chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, she's a green card holder
and Malaysian if you wanna know her nationality...

Applying to med school as an international student is hard with low stats. I think there are some forums on sdn that can give you better insight into what is feasible as a noncitizen.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Applying to med school as an international student is hard with low stats. I think there are some forums on sdn that can give you better insight into what is feasible as a noncitizen.

Aint permanent residents and citizens treated the same way? She's not international btw...
I searched for the old threads regarding low cars of esl people, but those are mostly about old mcat exam which doesn't have psy/soc section. But that section is the most closely related to cars and also requires reading that she couldnt keep up with...so don't really know how they will look at her mcat...cuz if that's reading without timing, she def. got a much better mcat than that

NOT good.

My gf took mcat twice: 127/123/125/123 - 498 and 131/124/130/121 - 506 and 3.91 gpa
How will adcoms think of those cars and psy sections?
She's really scared cuz she is esl and a new immigrant to the us just 4 yrs ago so those are a bit too hard for her. She couldn't keep up with reading so ran out of time for those sections but when she tried to read faster in some passages, she would not really understand it and so resulted in lower psy section...
BUt when doing practices without timing, she could score a lot higher than that but she already spent 4 months in summer practicing reading section and doesn't want to retake anymore.
She's aiming for MD and plan to apply next cycle...Does she have any chances?

NOT good.
More specific plz? I haven't seen any posts from ESL people on here with problems related to the new mcat like this...
Should I tell her keep applying or any other advices for her? Can the great ECs substitute for the low mcat? and she also got several regional and college prizes

Aint permanent residents and citizens treated the same way? She's not international btw...
I searched for the old threads regarding low cars of esl people, but those are mostly about old mcat exam which doesn't have psy/soc section. But that section is the most closely related to cars and also requires reading that she couldnt keep up with...so don't really know how they will look at her mcat...cuz if that's reading without timing, she def. got a much better mcat than that

Oh idk, I might be wrong :oops: I think you'd be okay for DO with those stats if you're not international.

More specific plz? I haven't seen any posts from ESL people on here with problems related to the new mcat like this...
Should I tell her keep applying or any other advices for her? Can the great ECs substitute for the low mcat? and she also got several regional and college prizes
Between the two tests, there are too many scores <50% percentile... If she had the science scores from her second test and the psych and cars from the first, she'd have some shot, maybe. As it is, the highest test score still has a sub score that's equivalent to <15%ile. Schools have >20 applicants per seat, and it's much safer to accept someone who is more consistent across the board (even if they don't get a 130 science sub-score). Regardless of the ECs, it's very unlikely that a school would chase after the application.

For MD or DO, I think she'd need to retake (only one shot left, really). As for how to get a better score in those sections, the MCAT sub forum might have clues.

Reactions: 1 user
Her reading difficulties will make success on exams in med school, and more importantly, Boards, problematic.

Only outstanding ECs make up for poor stats.

New York resident
She would be competitive for many DO schools with her GPA and MCAT score. She should apply broadly to at least 15 schools. Schools to consider include:
ARCOM
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
UIWSOM
RVU-Utah
NYIT (New York and Arkansas)
LECOM (all schools)