UNC Chances (IS)? 32M, 3.65 GPA, 3.45 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcc1012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
AAMC Average: 31.5
Goal: 32
Predicted:27-30
Actual: 32M 11/12/9 (PS/VR/BS)

Was really happy with my overall score, but should I be more proud of my 12 in VR or bummed about the 9 in BS? I feel like I have a weirdly distributed 32, so I'm not sure if that's good or bad. UNC student / NC resident really hoping to get into UNC (3.65 GPA, 3.45 sGPA). Made a C freshman year that really hurt sGPA but has steadily climbed since then. Been doing research for 2 years paid and unpaid, about 6 months hospital volunteer, Club baseball three years, worked roughly 15 hours per week throughout college, co-chair of a small student organization.

Planning also to apply to ECU and Wake Forest for sure, still trying to figure out OOS schools to apply to. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's my EARLY school list broken down:

Top Choice:
UNC

Reaches:
Emory
Boston U
Tufts
Einstein
Hofstra
UVA
Rochester

In State:
Wake Forest (although private I know)
ECU

Others:
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
T. Jefferson
Penn State
Temple
Georgetown
George Washington
Howard
Albany
Medical U of SC
USC
Eastern VA
VCU
VT
East Tenn
Tenn
UMD
UGA
Louisville
LSU
Tulane

Could use some help narrowing down and any thoughts on my chances, thanks!

AAMC Average: 31.5
Goal: 32
Predicted:27-30
Actual: 32M 11/12/9 (PS/VR/BS)

Was really happy with my overall score, but should I be more proud of my 12 in VR or bummed about the 9 in BS? I feel like I have a weirdly distributed 32, so I'm not sure if that's good or bad. UNC student / NC resident really hoping to get into UNC (3.65 GPA, 3.45 sGPA). Made a C freshman year that really hurt sGPA but has steadily climbed since then. Been doing research for 2 years paid and unpaid, about 6 months hospital volunteer, Club baseball three years, worked roughly 15 hours per week throughout college, co-chair of a small student organization.

Planning also to apply to ECU and Wake Forest for sure, still trying to figure out OOS schools to apply to. Thoughts?

Make being an instate will help you at UNC. Otherwise your numbers seem fairly workable at any OOS private school! Interesting MCAT though, great job!

Members don't see this ad :)
Make being an instate will help you at UNC. Otherwise your numbers seem fairly workable at any OOS private school! Interesting MCAT though, great job!

Thanks for your reply! I'm hoping that workable numbers will turn into results OOS in case UNC doesn't work out. I do feel strange having the 12VR/9BS; not sure I have seen many people on here at all with those numbers.

With average MCAT and below average GPA it is impossible to say what will happen. I assume you haven't submitted AMCAS yet either?

Consider DO schools...you will for sure get interviews.

With average MCAT and below average GPA it is impossible to say what will happen. I assume you haven't submitted AMCAS yet either?

Consider DO schools...you will for sure get interviews.

give me a break. He is completely fine for MD. His GPA and MCAT are at or above the average for MD matriculants.

give me a break. He is completely fine for MD. His GPA and MCAT are at or above the average for MD matriculants.

No they are not...you are WRONG.

OP stats vs 2011 AAMC Matriculant Data

cGPA 3.65 ---------->>>>>> AAMC average 3.67 = slightly below
sGPA 3.45 ---------->>>>>> AAMC average 3.61 = pretty far below...

MCAT
BS 9 -------->>>>>>> AAMC average 10.8 = pretty far below but not going to kill chances

To the OP, I think you have DECENT chances for getting an acceptance this cycle as long as you don't reach too much. Your low GPA is going to keep you out of a lot of schools. Your MCAT is fine but won't really help to compensate for your low GPA (especially sGPA).

To BeancheBlanco:
Read statistics before you ignorantly post the wrong ones...

MCAT
BS 9 -------->>>>>>> AAMC average 10.8 = pretty far below but not going to kill chances

So you failed to mention the 12 in VR, which I've heard a lot of people say is sometimes considered the best predictor of performance. You don't think that in any way compensates for the only score I have that's below average?

gmcguitar: Why do you think only students with everything above average for ACCEPTED students should apply MD? An average is obviously composed of stats both below and above the median. Thanks for the response.

gmcguitar: Why do you think only students with everything above average for ACCEPTED students should apply MD? An average is obviously composed of stats both below and above the median. Thanks for the response.

I think you will get in somewhere, but your list is slightly top heavy. Typically for your tradionalal premed with fairly standard ECs you pretty much need better than average stats in most categories. This is because the people who are near the average or below it typically have some aspect of their application that makes them really stand out in some way (URM, Publications, Military Experience, Varsity sports, etc...).

I think you will get in somewhere, but your list is slightly top heavy. Typically for your tradionalal premed with fairly standard ECs you pretty much need better than average stats in most categories. This is because the people who are near the average or below it typically have some aspect of their application that makes them really stand out in some way (URM, Publications, Military Experience, Varsity sports, etc...).

Fair enough, thanks for your clarification. I'm definitely trying to trim my list before submitting so I'll try to take away more reaches than lower tiers. Thanks again!

OP stats vs 2011 AAMC Matriculant Data

cGPA 3.65 ---------->>>>>> AAMC average 3.67 = slightly below
sGPA 3.45 ---------->>>>>> AAMC average 3.61 = pretty far below...

MCAT

To the OP, I think you have DECENT chances for getting an acceptance this cycle as long as you don't reach too much. Your low GPA is going to keep you out of a lot of schools. Your MCAT is fine but won't really help to compensate for your low GPA (especially sGPA).

To BeancheBlanco:
Read statistics before you ignorantly post the wrong ones...

lol relax. 3.65 is very slightly below average. 32 MCAT is very slightly above average. If you're going to pick apart the MCAT sections, then maybe you should also point out that his verbal score is significantly above average for matriculants. I wasn't referring to his sGPA when I said he was at the average. And if you think someone at the median for both GPA and MCAT only has a "decent" chance of getting in SOMEWHERE, I think you have unrealistic expectations. We're not talking about top 20 schools, we're talking about a broad range of schools, including state schools.

SDN...where you only have a good chance of getting into medical school with a 3.8/35.

I think you may be overestimating the number of people who have "stand out" aspects of their applications. Also, I wouldn't group pubs and varsity athletics in the same realm as URM status and military experience.

OP, I think you have a fairly good shot at getting in somewhere if you apply intelligently and early. Good luck.

military =URM = athlete. ??????

I think you may be overestimating the number of people who have "stand out" aspects of their applications. Also, I wouldn't group pubs and varsity athletics in the same realm as URM status and military experience.

OP, I think you have a fairly good shot at getting in somewhere if you apply intelligently and early. Good luck.

Thanks for your comments, I'm trying now to get everything submitted as soon as possible.

keep your expectations realistic. someone should bite.
If you have good grades in your upper level bio courses, the 9 shouldn't hurt too much

Here's my EARLY school list broken down:

Top Choice:
UNC

Reaches:
Emory
Boston U
Tufts
Einstein
Hofstra
UVA
Rochester

In State:
Wake Forest (although private I know)
ECU

Others:
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
T. Jefferson
Penn State
Temple
Georgetown
George Washington
Howard
Albany
Medical U of SC
USC
Eastern VA
VCU
VT
East Tenn
Tenn
UMD
UGA
Louisville
LSU
Tulane

Could use some help narrowing down and any thoughts on my chances, thanks!

Medical U of SC, East Tennessee, UGA, and LSU are all pretty instate heavy. Unless you have ties to the schools, I would reconsider those schools and maybe replace them with private schools.

Medical U of SC, East Tennessee, UGA, and LSU are all pretty instate heavy. Unless you have ties to the schools, I would reconsider those schools and maybe replace them with private schools.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely keep that in mind.