UNC-Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Interpolfanclub

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got an away rotation scheduled in EM at UNC. Wanted some input from students/residents there on what to expect. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure others will have more to say, but here are some things I gathered from interviewing there:

- One of their selling points is that residents divide their time fairly evenly bewteen UNC Hospital and Wake Med, so you get a balance between the diverse pathology of a university hospital and a well-run, cush private hospital. Residents have more responsibility for patient flow at University but also have all the usual battles with other services/consultants. (Surgery runs trauma resuscitations, BTW.) At Wake Med, you learn how things work in the private world and residents really enjoy their time there.

- The facilities at UNC are top notch, new or at least recently renovated. I didn't see Wake Med in person. I'd suggest working some shifts there if you can.

- UNC EM has a solid reputation nationally. Tintinalli still works shifts there, FWIW.

- Housing costs are higher in the Research Triangle area than at many of the other places where I interviewed, but I was told that many residents are still able to afford housing.

- I ranked UNC fairly low on my list, but this had more to do with the location (not right for me, but might be perfect for you) than the details of the program.

My input on CH housing: As far as housing goes, Chapel Hill is not really that expensive in the grand scheme of things. I lived quite comfortably on 32,000 a year and had no trouble surviving on 24,000 a year. When I left there were 2 bed/2 ba condos still going for 100K.

On another note, that Chapel Hill to Wake Med commute sounds like a *****.