UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone still waiting for an acceptance email? My application was received by the school on February 1st. I applied to Health Behavior.

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything and my application was declared complete on 12/8/2012. When I e-mailed them at the end of January they were just reviewing my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone still waiting for an acceptance email? My application was received by the school on February 1st.

I haven't heard anything and my application was declared complete on 12/8/2012. When I e-mailed them at the end of January they were just reviewing my application.

If you don't mind, can you post which department you're applying to? It'd be helpful to give perspective to others reading your posts, as each department operates on a slightly different timeline.

-waystinthyme

Yup, sorry. I applied to Health Behavior!

I'm in the same situation - my application was completed on 11/28 and I still haven't heard anything (Health Behavior). A little ridiculous, I think...

Has anyone who has been admitted received information on merit funding? I talked with someone in admissions at the end of January who said those decisions would be available "in a few weeks." Just curious since it's been about a month since then.

I have the same question. Have you heard anything yet?? I haven't accepted my admissions offer yet because I have been waiting to hear about this. Even though I'm 99% going to UNC, it would still be good to know this information before signing the dotted line!

Nope, still haven't heard anything! I'm trying to be patient but may email again if I still haven't heard anything by later this week. I completely agree with you, it would would be great to have this information before making a final decision.

Just got my acceptance for HBHE. UNC received my application on 2/1/13

Does UNC give any scholarship money?I know after instate tuition one's second year they sort of come out pretty reasonable than the other big schools. Just wondering.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does UNC give any scholarship money?I know after instate tuition one's second year they sort of come out pretty reasonable than the other big schools. Just wondering.

Yes, but they are somewhat limited...as you said, the costs are pretty reasonable, even without financial assistance, though.

-waystinthyme

Has anyone received any additional information from UNC in the mail? Or is everything sent via email?

Has anyone received any additional information from UNC in the mail? Or is everything sent via email?
The only thing I received after being admitted was an email with information about their visit day on the 22nd. I had a few questions I've been trying to get answered but haven't received any responses from either faculty or the department (it's now been 3 weeks since the first email and 1 since the follow-up). A little disappointing.

The only thing I received after being admitted was an email with information about their visit day on the 22nd. I had a few questions I've been trying to get answered but haven't received any responses from either faculty or the department (it's now been 3 weeks since the first email and 1 since the follow-up). A little disappointing.

Really? I still haven't even received an email regarding visitation day. Although Im not accepting the offer from Emory I have already received an email from an academic advisor and will be receiving information in the mail this week. I hope to hear more from UNC soon!

I have not received anything other than the original email. I did contact someone from the program regarding scholarship money and she said they will be contacting SPH students that are receiving awards in the next couple days. However only those that were NOMINATED will be receiving awards and that you would have been contacted already if nominated.

She also referred to general UNC scholarships/aid but I didn't think we qualified for those/I don't anything about that. Oh well.

For those of you still waiting, like me, I called every person in the Health Behavior office and I heard one helpful tad of advice. She said that the chair is working on a wait list now and that she will be sending out an e-mail HOPEFULLY next week letting you know if you are on it. She also told me that they are still sending out acceptances and she thinks that will continue until the end of the month but that most of them have been sent out seeing as their admitted students day is next Friday. She also said all PhD acceptances have been sent out (if that helps anyone). Though I'd share!

Really? I still haven't even received an email regarding visitation day. Although Im not accepting the offer from Emory I have already received an email from an academic advisor and will be receiving information in the mail this week. I hope to hear more from UNC soon!

This is department specific. HPM doesn't have a visit day because they require all residential applicants to have an in-person interview.

-waystinthyme

Last edited:
I have not received anything other than the original email. I did contact someone from the program regarding scholarship money and she said they will be contacting SPH students that are receiving awards in the next couple days. However only those that were NOMINATED will be receiving awards and that you would have been contacted already if nominated.

She also referred to general UNC scholarships/aid but I didn't think we qualified for those/I don't anything about that. Oh well.

Only those who were nominated will receive initial award notifications; however, if award recipients decide to go to school elsewhere, then other students may receive these awards.

Don't give up hope if you haven't received an award notification yet; my scholarship didn't come through until June/July.

-waystinthyme

Last edited:
Only those who were nominated will receive initial award notifications; however, if award recipients decide to go to school elsewhere, then other students may receive these awards.

Don't give up hope if you haven't received an award notification yet; my scholarship didn't come through until June/July.

-waystinthyme
Good to know! Thank you for the reply!

Found out I was waitlisted today. Hoping and praying that I can still get in for Health Behavior as this is my dream school and has been for some time!

So for those who attended, how was the Admitted Students Day?

Having my interview this coming week, any last words of advice? Have any suggestions on places I should I visit in Chapel Hill?

Also, would it appropriate to wear heels to the interview? Is there a lot of walking during the visit ie presentation, interview? Is there a tour during the visit? Or do you mostly sit?

Last edited:
Having my interview this coming week, any last words of advice? Have any suggestions on places I should I visit in Chapel Hill?

Also, would it appropriate to wear heels to the interview? Is there a lot of walking during the visit ie presentation, interview? Is there a tour during the visit? Or do you mostly sit?

If you're coming to interview for HPM--there's a short tour, but not much walking other than that. Dress is business professional; heels are appropriate, but not required.

Good luck!

-waystinthyme

Definitely check out Franklin Street. I never get bored walking by all the shops and whatnot.

If you're more of the hippie type, Carrboro is only a few minutes down the road and has some neat local shops.

Definitely check out Franklin Street. I never get bored walking by all the shops and whatnot.

If you're more of the hippie type, Carrboro is only a few minutes down the road and has some neat local shops.

I'd second Franklin Street.

Also, it's really nice to just walk (or run) through main campus in the spring, especially when the weather is nice.

-waystinthyme

Had my interview the other day, I don't think I did as good as I wish I could have. It had some high points but I don't think I did amazing. So I'm anxious to see the admission. The campus looks great, lots of brick though. Praying for good news.

Anybody else awaiting a reply from UNC HBHE program?
Is it normal for positive decisions to be made this late? :confused:

Anybody else awaiting a reply from UNC HBHE program?
Is it normal for positive decisions to be made this late? :confused:
I am currently waiting for a HBHE decision as well and am wondering the same thing! They've already had an admitted students day, so it makes me wonder if they're still giving out acceptances :-/ I contacted the department 2 weeks ago and they said that I could expect a decision in a week. Still nothing so far. Hopefully they get back to us soon because the national deadline to accept or decline offers from other schools is just around the corner.

I am currently waiting for a HBHE decision as well and am wondering the same thing! They've already had an admitted students day, so it makes me wonder if they're still giving out acceptances :-/ I contacted the department 2 weeks ago and they said that I could expect a decision in a week. Still nothing so far. Hopefully they get back to us soon because the national deadline to accept or decline offers from other schools is just around the corner.

I contacted them today AGAIN ,and had a very short response
"a decision will be sent by Tuesday"

Can some one be rejected on the basis of pestering the admission office
I sent like five emails over the past month and this is the first time I get a respnse
At least I can stop obsessing till Tuesday - about UNC at least

Last edited:
I contacted them today AGAIN ,and had a very short response
"a decision will be sent by Tuesday" :scared:

Can some one be rejected on the basis of pestering the admission office :p
I sent like five emails over the past month and this is the first time I get a respnse
At least I can stop obsessing till Tuesday - about UNC at least :laugh:

I haven't emailed them, and am also getting kinda nervous! Figure that eventually I'll get an answer. Campus looks great and had a positive interview experience.

I applied for the MHA and received an email today that the ad com would like to interview me.
Any advice that you guys can give me?
What kind of questions were asked?

I wouldnt say theres a particular set of questions because they asked me specific things about my resume and my grades/test scores. So I recommend that you really know your resume well and can speak to anything you listed with confidence. Besides the interview session itself make sure you ask questions and pay attention to any of the speakers. Also try to interact with the other interviewees because theyre really trying to see who will work well in a team based learning environment! as long as you're confident and can show you have passion for the program you'll do well!

I wouldnt say theres a particular set of questions because they asked me specific things about my resume and my grades/test scores. So I recommend that you really know your resume well and can speak to anything you listed with confidence. Besides the interview session itself make sure you ask questions and pay attention to any of the speakers. Also try to interact with the other interviewees because theyre really trying to see who will work well in a team based learning environment! as long as you're confident and can show you have passion for the program you'll do well!

Thanks a lot! That really helps. Wish me luck! Really hoping to make it!

Goodluck!!! they usually let you know in 48 hours so just give it your all :)

So, from what I've read, getting an interview is the hardest part of the process? (Correct me if I'm wrong). I'll be applying to attend Fall 2014, so I still have a ways to go, but I just want to prep myself for the application.

Saw on gradcafe that someone got pulled in off the wait list just FYI
So yay for them pulling off wait list!

Saw on gradcafe that someone got pulled in off the wait list just FYI
So yay for them pulling off wait list!

which department, HBHE?

tomorrow is the big day--anyone still deciding where they will attend?

-waystinthyme

If you don't receive a decision from HBHE by April 15th does that mean you've been rejected? :-(

I had been waitlisted at HBHE but just got an acceptance, so I expect they'll be handing out more acceptances off the waitlist given that yesterday, they must have gotten some people to turn them down (4/15 was the deadline).

SO excited to receive the orientation information via email this morning! also hopeful about the financial aid form that was snet out as well.

It does! And the orientation events look really fun!

It does! And the orientation events look really fun!

the week long orientation is definitely a highlight of the program. team building events during the day and social events every night give you a chance to get to know your classmates before you begin classes--which is integral since team-based learning is such a large part of the curriculum.

-waystinthyme

If you don't receive a decision from HBHE by April 15th does that mean you've been rejected? :-(

I have not received a decision either and really don't know what this means.
It has been 2 weeks since the date admissions said I would hear by.:confused:
I am not really interested in going there any more- have two amazing offers from my dream school:D-, but cannot help wanting to know!

Last edited:
Have the people who got off the waitlist on Tuesday heard the graduate school decision? I know it is the same as the department but I still want to be process my notice of intent and be able to register for classes when registration starts in May.