UNC vs. Vandy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SexPanther

This could be a problem
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having a tough time with these 2 programs at the top of my rank list, both seem awesome to me. Would appreciate any comments regarding one vs. the other, esp. current residents. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I'd rank Vandy ahead of UNC. Of course, that's probably mostly because I did not interview at Vandy and want to go to UNC. :laugh:

If I were you I'd rank Vandy ahead of UNC. Of course, that's probably mostly because I did not interview at Vandy and want to go to UNC. :laugh:

hahaha

in all seriousness, I found them to be quite similar and likable as well. both tech friendly, although vandy had the edge with those crazy cameras. the one flag that came up (not that it's huge) at vandy was that they seemed to have a kind of poor relationship with their crnas/srnas. not really "the" factor a decision, but whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above post. I thought they were very similar. I like North Carolina better so I felt UNC to be a hair above Vandy but it was really only location that made the difference for me.

With all the talk about UNC it doesn't sound like they are going to drop farther than 12 on the ROL. :eek:

Go Vandy! Great atmosphere, great attendings and they really no how to take care of their residents.

Plus, living in the Central Time Zone beats the hell outta living in the Eastern Time Zone. Primetime starts @ 7pm-News @ 10pm. Sounds trivial, but it makes a world of difference when you have to be in bed by 10 and you still dont miss anything...

LOVED both programs... they were a tie in terms of everything academic- strength of training, location were both good, friendly environment, safe, good board passage rate, beautiful ORs and in general the hospitals are both incredible.

BUT Vandy has ridiculous amounts of perks: if I remember correctly- PDA, higher book/educational funding, +++MOVING allowance, free parking, Sprint cell phone tower INSIDE the hospital, on site childcare, and a home technology package.

Anyone attendings in private practice hear of the "Vanderbilt Syndrome"?

As an employer....this is not meant to be a flattering disease to have.

One DOES NOT want to have the dreaded "Vanderbilty syndrome".

Anyone attendings in private practice hear of the "Vanderbilt Syndrome"?

As an employer....this is not meant to be a flattering disease to have.

One DOES NOT have to have the dreaded "Vanderbilty syndrome".

So mil, can you explain what that is for us not in the know?

i think "vanderbilt syndrome" refers to people who are spoiled or high maintenance. don't think it has anything to do with the university.

Having been a medical student in Nashville, I have heard of this syndrome. I saw it at Vandy. The residents have a rep of having everything handed to them, thus they cannot cut it anywhere else that does not have similar perks.

I would be careful about training at Vandy,
It is great in many regards, but many residents have a hard time because most places are not like that. Plus they were known as being stuck up.. but this is a gross generalization....

Members don't see this ad :)
This is ridiculous! Having worked with many Vandy Anesthesia alums, this is absurd. In fact, Vandy alums are not only very well-regarded, but among the most well-trained, easygoing docs out there.

Especially ironic coming from a military trained doc--we all know how highly thought of VA & Military hospitals are :)

Having been a medical student in Nashville, I have heard of this syndrome. I saw it at Vandy. The residents have a rep of having everything handed to them, thus they cannot cut it anywhere else that does not have similar perks.

I would be careful about training at Vandy,
It is great in many regards, but many residents have a hard time because most places are not like that. Plus they were known as being stuck up.. but this is a gross generalization....

Correct me if I am wrong, but most private practice jobs are not like an average university-based program. From what I have seen, Vandy runs itself like a private hospital. I got the impression their residents were trained in a facility more representative of the real world.

I met enough down-to-earth, respectful residents when I was there. I don't think there were any more with this perceived attitude than any other lot at any other program.

OK...whatever you guys say....I'm just giving you the facts as an employer who have dealth with more than my share of Vanderbilt grads.

I'm sure not ALL of them have the sydrome.

I'm sure the syndrome is present in other programs.

But there is a reason why the syndrome is called the "Vanderbilt Syndrome".

OK...whatever you guys say....I'm just giving you the facts as an employer who have dealth with more than my share of Vanderbilt grads.

I'm sure not ALL of them have the sydrome.

I'm sure the syndrome is present in other programs.

But there is a reason why the syndrome is called the "Vanderbilt Syndrome".

As an employer, Mil, me thinks these comments have more to say about YOU than Vandy grads...

Vanderbilt grads are some of the most highly sought after in anesthesia.

Reactions: 1 user
As an employer, Mil, me thinks these comments have more to say about YOU than Vandy grads...

Vanderbilt grads are some of the most highly sought after in anesthesia.

Not all of them.........the generalization exists for a reason. The particular individual to whom Mil refers is the epitome of the "Vanderbilt Syndrome".

I just happen to think that there may not be the inordinate amount of arrogance there suggested by a cute phrase. Generalizations such as this don't always exist based on objectivity. A handful of people some time ago created this phrase based on a few bad experiences, and it stuck for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the the fact that Vanderbilt is an instantly recognizable name that extends beyond an anesthesia residency program. The UCSF Syndrome just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Since then, this phrase has stuck. Meet someone from Vandy that has a bit of an attitude? Must be the syndrome. Must have gotten it when they were at Vandy. Because this characterization is in your mind, it is automatically attributed.

I have no doubt Mil has meet some arrogance in dealing with Vandy grads. I also have no doubt that some people see a name like Vanderbilt and automatically presume certain characteristics about the person they are soon to meet. It's much easier to find arrogance if you are looking for it.

Since then, this phrase has stuck. Meet someone from Vandy that has a bit of an attitude? Must be the syndrome. Must have gotten it when they were at Vandy. Because this characterization is in your mind, it is automatically attributed.

Right......it's called the self-fulfilling prophecy.

As a soon to be Vanderbilt grad, I disagree with the above comments about Vanderbilt. I have never heard of the "Vanderbilt Syndrome" before, and encountered nothing but positive impressions of Vanderbilt on the interview trail. Of course there are a few pompous attendings and residents here and there, but this is true everywhere, and I encountered none in the Vandy anesthesia department.

I would be careful on taking these posts too seriously. Even the 'medical student in Nashville' that posted here doesn't seem to be one of my classmates, from what I can tell, so he/she may not be the best resource for info. I would visit or interview here, and meet some people, before you form too many opinions about the place.

To add some useful info to this post though, did everyone know that Anderson Cooper is the great-great-great grandson of Cornelius Vanderbilt?

Well, luckily for SexPanther, OMT can treat "Vanderbilt Syndrome" effectively. ;)

Bottom line:
NOT a top or second tier program. A good "clinical program" if you want to learn to do cases. The faculty are nice but few are published. The chair is new and unknown in academic circles. Most importantly - very few Vandy medical students stay @ Vandy for their anesthesia residency. Nashville is an OK southern midsize city. The residents that do graduate from the Vandy program have a diffficult time getting jobs within the city. I'm not sure what that means but it doesn't sound like a good thing.

Bottom line:
The residents that do graduate from the Vandy program have a diffficult time getting jobs within the city. I'm not sure what that means but it doesn't sound like a good thing.

So, that rumor has been around for several years and I've talked to many residents including my chief about this. It's not that they can't get jobs within the city, it's that they don't want them. There is a lg. super group in Nashville that requires some pretty heavy hours and call for their new members, so like anybody else, our graduates look for the best deal even if it's away from Nashville.

Take this for what it's worth, it is still all second hand info.

:love:I am a CA-1 at Vanderbilt currently, and just looked in to see what is being said about us out there. In reference to the "syndrome," I can say without a doubt that this is a creature of myth. I actually picked this place out of a number of great opportunities because of the social atmosphere here, which I would characterize as witty and and sarcastic, while consistently self depricating. It's fun to work here.
Often I see that people misunderstand this sense of humor for cynicism, but it is hard to imagine arrogant. Even after an excellent burn directed toward a colleague or attending, almost all of us would say we love to be here.
In reference to the job situation, it is true what they say about about the middle tennessee supergroup called AMG. People do go to AMG from here, but the jobs available at the university and at the nearby VA keep a large number of the future Nashvillians from VU in academia.
I'm hoping to see the trend of VU students going elsewhere reversed this year. The trick with that is that very few VU med students are from here, or even the south for that matter. Many of them return to residencies closer to home. They are some amazing students though, and should be well recruited anywhere.

Not really sure why I fing it necessary to refute these claims, as I believe rank lists are in or soon to be in. I'll check back in a few days if you guys have anymore questions.

I find myself in the same position as the person who posted this thread last year. There are GREAT perks at Vandy, but is that enough to outweigh the fabulous people I met at UNC and the beauty of the surrounding area (and the gut feeling that I keep being told to follow)? They seem to be equal programs as far as training but the pros of the two programs (in my opinion) are completely different and I'm having a really hard time deciding who to rank #1. Any thoughts?

I find myself in the same position as the person who posted this thread last year. There are GREAT perks at Vandy, but is that enough to outweigh the fabulous people I met at UNC and the beauty of the surrounding area (and the gut feeling that I keep being told to follow)? They seem to be equal programs as far as training but the pros of the two programs (in my opinion) are completely different and I'm having a really hard time deciding who to rank #1. Any thoughts?

We are fabulous people too....at least I am but I can't speak for idio and wc. But man, can they ball!

Good luck with your decision.

Just thought I would let you guys know....from what you're saying...you guys have no idea what the "Vanderbilt Syndrome" is...

If you really want to know, I'm PM you the definition.

I was in your position last year. Both were moves out of state for me, liked a lot of things about both programs. Went with the gut and don't regret it.

/

Last edited:
Actually, alot of Vandy grads want to stay in Nashville, but the "supergroup" in town (AMG) is not very viable for many grads. Long hours, little vacation, and long partnership track. As a result they look elsewhere.

Whether warrented or not, Vandy's reputation around the country is outstanding and leads to plum job opporunities for all grads.

This thread is friggin hilarious. I am also at Vandy and this is the first I have heard of it. Great stuff. I think it may represent the medical students more than the residents.

At least I don't have 5,900 something posts nor wear designer jeans.:D

Military MD. I would appreciate your apparent angst. being explained.

If you are a Med student, do not come to Vandy if you want to be pampered, we will get rid of you. But the perks are great.

Nutmeg, my statement placement was not clear to you......hope this clears it up.

Scrubs

That would be 2 you have dealt with.....:laugh:

Scrubs

5,907 and counting....

That would be 2 you have dealt with.....:laugh:

Scrubs

5,907 and counting....

:confused:

did you read your notes? I said 2 who COULD NOT pass their boards....10 + others with issues.

You guys need to grow some thicker skin.

Believe it or not......things get a lot rougher when you finish your residency...when $$$ (how your earn it, how you get paid, and how it gets divvied up) becomes a priority...and not "how many flights of stairs can you climg before you get short of breath"

When surgeons who bring cash-paying patients tell you...."I don't want dr. so and so talking to my patients because of (fill in the blank).....".....

Are you going to complain to your chief about how your feelings are hurt? I doubt it.

Nothing matters here in the forum...you (and everybody else for that matter) calls me names when I don't censor my thoughts.....but you know what, I just call it like I see it....

and right now....I see "thin skin"....all over some silly "syndrome" that my partner made up based on our collective almost 10 years of interacting with a bunch of guys/gals....

Like I said....certain things get a lot rougher.

fair enough, mil. im sure many residency programs have people with 'issues' and im also sure that VU doesnt selectively match people with issues, but if thats your experience, i believe theres merit. but our current crop of residents works hard, we all pass our boards, and we have plenty of intellectual curiosity, not just limited to protocols and METS. not really cool to slag the program based on your history with a limited sample size.

fair enough, mil. im sure many residency programs have people with 'issues' and im also sure that VU doesnt selectively match people with issues, but if thats your experience, i believe theres merit. but our current crop of residents works hard, we all pass our boards, and we have plenty of intellectual curiosity, not just limited to protocols and METS. not really cool to slag the program based on your history with a limited sample size.

I'm not slagging the program...why are you guys taking it that way???

I think it's a funny name for a "syndrome".....

I'm not slagging the program...why are you guys taking it that way???

I think it's a funny name for a "syndrome".....

I don't take it as slagging the program, can't speak for the others though. Have you heard of the "SexPanther Syndrome?" It's when you post random crap after drinking that is completely wrong...or you take off your shirt trying to win a dance contest (while drinking) and get absolutely no love from the judges.

I think it was b/c I'm a "tweener." Meaning, I'm not hulked like JPP and the judges would be like damn, that guy is super ripped. I'm also not fat, which would have been comical. Instead, I think it just came off as creepy....and I'd do it again.

Hi-yo!!

P.S. For all of the applicants reading, if you are trying to decide between UNC and Vandy, life is good. Both are great programs. I am very happy at Vandy as are others that frequent this board. I know nutmegs loves UNC. Where will you be happiest for 4+ years of your life? Either way, you'll be ok. Good luck!

A choice bw Vandy and UNC is no choice at all...Vandy takes the cake hands down. Awesome city, people were cool, very sound program, and the perks just seal the deal.......Maybe I got Vandy Syndrome just from the interveiw???