Undergrad and Masters Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brighter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes.

I have undergrad and graduate degrees in business related fields. Accepted to my top choice med school to begin this fall.

No..One...Cared..

questions were 1) GPA (undergrad) MCAT (section minimums, and overall) Clinical experience, and Letters of reference.

Typical reason that I was given for No One Caring is that admissions offices who are looking at, typically, undergraduate students in the sciences, aren't in a position to judge the value of candidates who have grad degrees in non-science areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an undergrad and masters degree in construction management. Does anyone know how this will affect my chances for admissions to medical schools?

That's cool. I actually thought about going that route myself back in college. The degree won't matter. Just having one is what medical schools want. Take the prereqs, make A's, do well on the MCAT, do some voluntary community service (Habitat for Humanity would be good for you lol), and get some clinical experience. Most premeds consolidate the clinical experience by volunteering which you could do too.

Thanks for replying and sharing of your experience.

Would med schools accuse me of my past career choice as I pursued an advanced degree that has nothing translatable to health care?

I didn't feel that any school had any negative attitude toward my master's at all, despite the fact that, as with yours, it was not connected w/med in any way. I did have more clinical hours than many med applicants partially to allay any fears that I wasn't serious about this, and had a good "story" that was polished & shared w/med schools regarding changing careers.

Also it was a number of years after my grad degree that I applied to med school; it could raise some red flags if you finish one non-medically related grad degree and then apply to med school shortly thereafter.

Management is a great degree to have since it shows that you have people skills - a huge plus when you are doing clinic and havve to explain things to patients. The schools do not care what your degree is. Just by having a masters shows that you have the stamina to complete what you have started. That's what they look for - staying power and the ability to see a project through.