Undergrad Research - Negative Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squirrellll

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do med schools care if you manage to publish negative results? Will this look good at ad-coms?
There's been a slew of new peer-review systems that encourage the posting of negative as well as positive results and I'm wondering how this new trend will fit into the med school admission game.

I assume that positive results are looked upon more favourably; is this a misconception?

P.S. - are certain journals looked down upon by adcoms?

Members don't see this ad.

A publication is a publication is a publication. Journal slash impact factor definitely matter though.

I doubt that somebody in admissions will take time to read your publication.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similar question. Is publishing in PLoS one looked down upon? How about multiple publications in PLoS one? Does impact factor really matter as an undergraduate researcher?

I was wondering what it would look like if a student publishes multiple articles in PLoS one, that 70% acceptance rate and issued pubmed ID looks very appealing. Are there any drawbacks?

I doubt that somebody in admissions will take time to read your publication.

I was asked very specific questions about my undergrad research. It was very clear that they had read several of my papers. Yes, they were more interested in my involvement in projects more than anything, but clearly content was important.