Undergraduate research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rsgrig36

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't able to get a response in the research section-

Hey I am currently a freshman in college but I have some questions regarding research that I hope somebody can help me out on:

1. Summer (10 week) programs, how much experience do you need to get accepted to one of these programs? What exactly do they expect of you? I am hoping to get accepted somewhere after my Junior Year but I would only have taken classes in Physics, General Bio, Some Upper Level Bio (Genetics, etc), General Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry. I would also have taken Statistics. I am worried that I wouldn't be able to assist as much as they wish me to, any thoughts?

-Can anybody who has done this type of program please write their background in the sciences they had when attending and what exactly their duties entailed?

2. I am a sportsmedicine major trying to get published before I graduate undergraduate studies. Would Medical Schools look at my publication the same as they would a publication from say a Chemistry or Biology major? Does being a Sportsmedicine major put me at a disadvantage?

-I was going to try and research the effects of Beta Alanine on Athletes and adult males, I couldn't find much research on the subject matter despite it being a popular sports supplement, would something like this have a chance at being published?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I wasn't able to get a response in the research section-

Hey I am currently a freshman in college but I have some questions regarding research that I hope somebody can help me out on:

1. Summer (10 week) programs, how much experience do you need to get accepted to one of these programs? What exactly do they expect of you? I am hoping to get accepted somewhere after my Junior Year but I would only have taken classes in Physics, General Bio, Some Upper Level Bio (Genetics, etc), General Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry. I would also have taken Statistics. I am worried that I wouldn't be able to assist as much as they wish me to, any thoughts?

-Can anybody who has done this type of program please write their background in the sciences they had when attending and what exactly their duties entailed?

2. I am a sportsmedicine major trying to get published before I graduate undergraduate studies. Would Medical Schools look at my publication the same as they would a publication from say a Chemistry or Biology major? Does being a Sportsmedicine major put me at a disadvantage?

-I was going to try and research the effects of Beta Alanine on Athletes and adult males, I couldn't find much research on the subject matter despite it being a popular sports supplement, would something like this have a chance at being published?

1. Varies by program. Most expect some research experience, but others say that it's not a necessity. You should be able to help with the research after they teach you research techniques/skills (that's the point of the program).
2. Yes, they'll see the publication just as they would for a bio/chem pub. You're not at a disadvantage at all.

1. Have the basics (G Bio, G Chem, Phy, Orgo) and you should be fine. Go to program to learn and not to win a nobel. They really are spending their money on u to learn and for u to devlop interest in science. Do not expect to make major contribuitons in 2 months. Keep an open mind. Always be willing to learn.

2. Sports medicine?. A pub is a pub regardless the area. Yes some weigh more than others, but If u get published in UG, it is something to celebrate.

I don't think that the summer program that I'm in made any stipulations regarding what classes you had to take prior to applying--they even encourage freshman to apply (who obviously haven't had all of the basic sciences--although they did ask to list every math and science course taken, so I assume it is of interest to them. That said, it obviously varies quite a bit from program to program. In terms of what you should have done in order to be successful in the lab itself, that really depends on what sort of lab you're in. My first summer in the program, I did not really use any chem or physics, etc. However, while I don't think they would've rejected me if I hadn't taken bio., I would've been absolutely lost if I had no background in it (it was bio research). Keep in mind, most of these programs seem to be all about teaching undergrads and getting them involved in science, so they aren't likely to expect you to have any advanced knowledge and if they are willing to take summer students, it usually means they want to teach and enjoy that process, so are more than willing to help you learn and understand the background as you go. Read into specific programs to get a better idea of what they're about and what they expect.