Undergraduate Transfer Student Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azw638

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am transferring from my current university, which is a public state university, to a private university for my sophomore year of undergraduate career. I went to a dual-credit high school program and have over 70 college credits (including many pre-med courses) completed from my high school program. At my current university, I only took organic chemistry that is considered premed.

The thing is: the private school that I am transferring to won't accept any of my credits that I received in my high school program because it was part of my high school diploma. However, they told me that I don't have to retake any of those courses. Thus, will this affect me when I apply to medical school? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

1. my dual enrollment was at a 4 year state school
2. in my dual enrollment, i had taken the pre med courses: general biology, general chemistry, physics, english, math. At my current university, I just finished a year of organic chemistry. Thus, all I have left is biochemistry and psychology, I believe.
3. no, I will review these materials with the best of my ability because I plan to major in something non-premed related at my transfer university.
4. I haven't sent over my AP scores. The AP's that I have which would be part of premed is AP biology and I took it my sophomore year of high school in a regular high school before my dual credit program.

Members don't see this ad :)
For purposes of applying via AMCAS, if these courses appear on the original college transcript with grades/credits form the actual college you took them from during dual enrollment, then you are fine. Transcripts with transferred course info would not be accepted for AMCAS application.

So when inserting my coursework into the AMCAS application, do I need to include the credits from both the original dual-credits college and the primary undergraduate institution that they transferred to? They technically appear on both of my official transcripts since they transferred, but it seems redundant to actually include them twice.

Does anybody bother downloading and read the free instruction manual?

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/36/d8/36d8f5ab-0f72-4f33-8313-574604cd0638/2018_amcas_instruction_manual-web.pdf#page=35 (emphasis in the original)

Coursework Details
Enter courses in chronological order exactly as they appear on the official transcript of the school where they were originally attempted. This is especially important to remember if the credit for a course was transferred from one U.S. or Canadian school to another.

For example, suppose you primarily attended the University of Maryland and took “Introto Pottery” at your local community college over the summer. You would list the
community college in the “Schools Attended” section of the application (and request anofficial transcript for it) and add “Intro to Pottery” as a course you took at the community college. You would not list the course under the University of Maryland, even if the credits were transferred there.

Ah, my mistake. I jumped straight to the dual credits section. Thanks.