Unexpected low PCAT score :( Need advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erik21jg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the PCAT during this september cycle and although I anticipated it to be very challenging, I was expecting to do a lot better than what I actually did. These my results:

VA:412/68
Bio:425/84
RC:381/19
QA:399/45
Chem:405/56
Comp:404/54

Now I know these scores are really low, but how really bad are they? I am planning to re-take it on Jan/2015. but I wanna know whether I should just keep this composite or re-take it. Any advice please?
Also, I studied Dr Collins but did not get to all the practice exams on bio, chem or math so I do not know whether that could be reason my score was so low. When I was doing the Pearson practice exams I was scoring between 60-70%. Can you guys please give me any advice on things I can do to improve my second time. Also my VC was really bad as you can see but was doing better Dr. Collins practice and Pearson practice. How I can I improve this section (BTW I am not native english speaker). THANK YOU!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely retake.

If I were you, I'd forego the RC section and focus solely on chem and QA.

Reactions: 1 user
Retake it. Aside from that, how did you feel about timing? Gauging yourself during the test is one of the most important things to do on the test aside from knowing the information.

Your score is fine. Go ahead and apply. A lot of student forget to know that the pcat is not the only determining factor in your admission process. Last year i didn't apply because my overall score was 48 percentile but then a friend was admitted into the same school wiith a 36 percentile and a lower gpa. My best advice is go ahead and contact the school with both your scool and unofficial transcript for advice or go ahead and apply as is.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Retake it. Aside from that, how did you feel about timing? Gauging yourself during the test is one of the most important things to do on the test aside from knowing the information.

Yeah, the timing killed me. I underestimated the issue with the time. I also Idk about you guys but the passages I got were of at least 7-8 paragraphs. I never encountered passages as difficult as the one I got on the actual PCAT

Your score is fine. Go ahead and apply. A lot of student forget to know that the pcat is not the only determining factor in your admission process. Last year i didn't apply because my overall score was 48 percentile but then a friend was admitted into the same school wiith a 36 percentile and a lower gpa. My best advice is go ahead and contact the school with both your scool and unofficial transcript for advice or go ahead and apply as is.

Luckily my GPA is very good especially in all the requirements for pharmacy, I have research experience and lots of community service hours. So I hope that will help; I do not wanna go out of state either

Yeah, the timing killed me. I underestimated the issue with the time. I also Idk about you guys but the passages I got were of at least 7-8 paragraphs. I never encountered passages as difficult as the one I got on the actual PCAT

I got similar-length passages when I took the exam. Also those passages were difficult and, IMO, mimic the ones you'd find on the SAT.

retake it and study from Dr. collins

i am selling the 2014 version with 4 updates (JAn 2014, Jan 2013, July 2013, August 2013).

i did not write in it and it is in great condition. anyone Email me if interested! [email protected]

Where did he get in??

Which school did your friend get accepted into?

I got similar-length passages when I took the exam. Also those passages were difficult and, IMO, mimic the ones you'd find on the SAT.

I noticed the same thing too. It drove me crazy because I was expecting 5 - 6 paragraphs/passage based on all the PPTs and my other study materials. I lost a lot of time die to the extra reading and it killed my score in that section.

I just took the PCAT during this september cycle and although I anticipated it to be very challenging, I was expecting to do a lot better than what I actually did. These my results:

VA:412/68
Bio:425/84
RC:381/19
QA:399/45
Chem:405/56
Comp:404/54

Now I know these scores are really low, but how really bad are they? I am planning to re-take it on Jan/2015. but I wanna know whether I should just keep this composite or re-take it. Any advice please?
Also, I studied Dr Collins but did not get to all the practice exams on bio, chem or math so I do not know whether that could be reason my score was so low. When I was doing the Pearson practice exams I was scoring between 60-70%. Can you guys please give me any advice on things I can do to improve my second time. Also my VC was really bad as you can see but was doing better Dr. Collins practice and Pearson practice. How I can I improve this section (BTW I am not native english speaker). THANK YOU!!!!!!

Definitely contact the schools you want to apply to and ask questions such as their minimum score, what they consider competitive, what section(s) they look at the most, and if there are any section minimum scores.

I think it's also a good idea to have an admissions counselor at your chosen school(s) review unofficial transcripts and scores as they would be the best people to advise you on what each school is looking for and how you currently stack up against those criteria.

How do u calculate your overall percentile :S add all and divide by 5?