This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredogtor_

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I didn't see a thread for the University of Nicosia Veterinary School. I was just offered a place and am very excited! I am from Canada and would love to discuss moving to Cyprus and the program.

Members don't see this ad.

UNIC is not an accredited veterinary school through the US or Canada if you weren’t aware

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I didn't see a thread for the University of Nicosia Veterinary School. I was just offered a place and am very excited! I am from Canada and would love to discuss moving to Cyprus and the program.
Are you attending the Nicosia DVM program? If yes, can you please share your experience so far?

Are you attending the Nicosia DVM program? If yes, can you please share your experience so far?
Yes, I am! So far, it's great. We have weekly practical visits, and the professors are excellent and care about individual needs. I'm not sure where you are applying from. However, I want to mention it seems that some countries have not recognized the program as it is yet to have a graduating class. This said, I would still choose UNIC.

Feel free to ask any other questions! :)

Yes, I am! So far, it's great. We have weekly practical visits, and the professors are excellent and care about individual needs. I'm not sure where you are applying from. However, I want to mention it seems that some countries have not recognized the program as it is yet to have a graduating class. This said, I would still choose UNIC.

Feel free to ask any other questions! :)
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am from Alberta, Canada. As you have noted that some countries haven't recognized the program (i.e. Canada & US) therefore do you know if UNIC has any plans to have this DVM program listed with AVMA/ECFVG? I am assuming you are planning to come back to Canada to get licensed once graduated. My understanding is that graduate from a non-accredited schools can only register with NEB, to get licensed in Canada/US, if the school is on that AVMA/ECFVG list of schools. I was reviewing the ABVMA requirements (see link below) and reached out to ABVMA and that's how I learnt that school has to be listed with AVMA/ECFVG.

Thanks again.

UNIC is working towards becoming accredited. I have heard so far that it won't be possible until there is a graduating class. The program was created so international students would graduate prepared to write the NAVLE and other exams for students from other countries. Halfway through the program, there is an option to write a test to give the student a good idea of their level of preparedness for the NAVLE. There are four Canadians and three Americans in my year. At this point, we are optimistic about returning and working in North America.

Halfway through the program, there is an option to write a test to give the student a good idea of their level of preparedness for the NAVLE.
How exactly do they plan to do this? Halfway through an accredited curriculum, students still don't know a lot of the material covered by NAVLE.
The only way to know how your program is preparing people for NAVLE is to have people sit for the exam and see what the pass rate is.

@VetMed2024 I said this on the thread you started, but I really strongly discourage you from considering an unaccredited program. There are so many options that are at minimum ECFVG eligible - this program isn't even that. It's financially an extremely risky decision, much moreso than the inherent financial risk of going to vet school in general.

Reactions: 3 users
How exactly do they plan to do this? Halfway through an accredited curriculum, students still don't know a lot of the material covered by NAVLE.
The only way to know how your program is preparing people for NAVLE is to have people sit for the exam and see what the pass rate is.

@VetMed2024 I said this on the thread you started, but I really strongly discourage you from considering an unaccredited program. There are so many options that are at minimum ECFVG eligible - this program isn't even that. It's financially an extremely risky decision, much moreso than the inherent financial risk of going to vet school in general.
Thank you!!

UNIC is working towards becoming accredited. I have heard so far that it won't be possible until there is a graduating class. The program was created so international students would graduate prepared to write the NAVLE and other exams for students from other countries. Halfway through the program, there is an option to write a test to give the student a good idea of their level of preparedness for the NAVLE. There are four Canadians and three Americans in my year. At this point, we are optimistic about returning and working in North America.

Ok, I think it will take time to become accredited however to get listed with AVMA/ECFVG seems to be more straightforward process as long as Government of Cyprus recognizes this program and allow graduates to practice in Cyprus without any limitations.

Did you complete the undergrad before joining the program or right after high school?

Thanks.

Ok, I think it will take time to become accredited however to get listed with AVMA/ECFVG seems to be more straightforward process as long as Government of Cyprus recognizes this program and allow graduates to practice in Cyprus without any limitations.

Did you complete the undergrad before joining the program or right after high school?

Thanks.
I did complete an undergrad, however, many of my classmates did not!

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks.

UNIC is now listed as a provisional member. I hope this helps :)