Union for pharmacists...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happy_cheese

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I know it may be a stupid topic, but I want to if there are any pharmacists union...at all?

I worked at CVS as technician for 4 months, and we have pharmacists working 14 hours straight without a meal break.( Sometimes I wonder if it is even legal)

Are there any unions (or anything) that protect pharmacists' benefit/working hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Kaiser.

But there are usually state labor laws in effect...I used to get a steady stream of settlement checks long after my short time at CVS for all sorts of labor law malfeasance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

...But there are usually state labor laws in effect...
Pharmacists are exempt from them in every state where I've worked.

What is an exempt employee?
Exempt positions are excluded from minimum wage, overtime regulations, and other rights and protections afforded nonexempt workers. Employers must pay a salary rather than an hourly wage for a position for it to be exempt. Typically, only executive, supervisory, professional or outside sales positions are exempt positions.

Members don't see this ad :)

Exempt positions are excluded from minimum wage, overtime regulations, and other rights and protections afforded nonexempt workers. Employers must pay a salary rather than an hourly wage for a position for it to be exempt. Typically, only executive, supervisory, professional or outside sales positions are exempt positions.

<-- California, by law, pharmacists are non-exempt (except management)

I'm in a worker's paradise

Are hourly pharmacists exempt?

Are hourly pharmacists exempt?
Depends if your employer considers you to be hourly. Full time CVS pharmacists are "salaried", but the salary varies based on number of hours scheduled to work on average, with "bonuses" paid for hours over that base number.

Last edited:
Only if your employer considers you to be hourly. Full time CVS pharmacists are "salaried", but the salary varies based on number of hours scheduled to work on average, with "bonuses" paid for hours over that base number.

I love their interpretation of salaried. Oh no, you aren't an hourly employee. Your pay is based on the hours you work, but we do some math so it's totally a salary.

Hi I know it may be a stupid topic, but I want to if there are any pharmacists union...at all?

I worked at CVS as technician for 4 months, and we have pharmacists working 14 hours straight without a meal break.( Sometimes I wonder if it is even legal)

Are there any unions (or anything) that protect pharmacists' benefit/working hours?
They fire you for mentioning the word union at CVS

They fire you for mentioning the word union at CVS

People who think unions are bad for the individual should ask themselves why employers are so afraid of them.

And in other news, SF now mandates 6 weeks of FULL pay for family leave (maternal and paternal). Previously, the state only paid 55% of wages (or max of ~$1036/week).

Also i learned today employers are mandated to have seats available for employees (can be in a break area).

With all that and the mandatory hourly and OT labor laws, we don't really need unions here...granted they do boost everyone's pay (union and non union) in the area.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, there are unions, for both hospitals and chains (for both its very location dependent.) The vast majority of hospitals/retail pharmacists are not covered by a union. If you wanted to be part of a union as a pharmacist, you would have to relocate to an area where pharmacists were unionized (because chances are, wherever you are living is not an area where pharmacists are unionized.

So I guess to answer your questions, the vast majority of pharmacists are on their own, but there are some areas where pharmacists are unionized (whether or not that " protect pharmacists' benefit/working hour" is debatable.)

Unions will never exist for CVS. Not in the next 5 million lifetimes.

At Walmart all new hires have to watch a video about how unions are bad and they would just take your money and Walmart uses an open door policy instead for complaints/grievances