Univ. of Arizona vs. New Mexico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snacker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get people's thoughts regarding Arizona vs. New Mexico.

My Opinions:

US: edge Arizona
Faculty: edge New Mexico
Facilities: edge New Mexico (new ED done one year from now)
Residents: loved both
Trauma: edge New Mexico
Schedule: Edge new Mexico (PGY-3, work 15 shifts/month)
Off Service: edge Arizona

Members don't see this ad.

Actually I've always held the opinion that Arizona was in a pretty good location. What makes you think otherwise?

Tucson seems like a nice place to live. I think it depends on if you are single or not. Also as far as location if you want the big city life you look at U of Arizona and you are 2 hours from Phoenix and 4 hours from San Diego (So I have been told). I dont know what is near new mexico? Also, I think the overall rep of Arizona is better than New Mexico. though I tend to agree that for EM they are about equal. Good luck with your decision. I am curious what people will say about this. I know Desperado is on here and he is a 3rd yr at Arizona I believe.

Just to be the accountant you have New Mexico with 4 advantages vs 2 for arizona so I think you made your decision :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know about the faculty at New Mexico but IMO Arizona had an incredibly impressive faculty. They have the airway guy and a few other big time faculty.

Anyways thats just my opinion others surely will be able to add more. Best of luck making your decision.

Out of curiosity when did you interview there?

I rotated at U of Az as a medical student (Ok it was in 95!), and though my wife did not want to be out west, I can say I was and am very impressed with Sam Keim and others, Frank Walters etc,-great faculty who are true patient/resident advocates. Their volume as all programs in that region is strong. I think that this is an excellent program for the applicant who is intersted in the area.

Paul

I agree Dr Keim seems to be a huge resident advocate. He seems like a really nice down to earth guy.

FWIW, I loved New Mexico. Coming from Texas, those mountains were intoxicating. Albuquerque isn't a bad city and you're very close to some of the most beautiful country around.

Add little humidity and green chilis and you have a winning combination.

Take care,
Jeff

Of course, it would be even better if it were still part of Texas. :D

Take care,
Jeff

Jeff isnt Texas big enough already? :D

EctopicFetus said:
Jeff isnt Texas big enough already? :D

Actually, It is part of Texas, so are the best parts of Colorado. All stolen from us when the Republic joined the US! :mad:

Oh boy.. not gonna get into this discussion with you wild Texans..

EctopicFetus said:
Oh boy.. not gonna get into this discussion with you wild Texans..

There's a joke told by those of us from the Land of Enchantment explaining why New mexico is so dry, but I just might want to work for BKN one day, so I'll keep it to myself. ;)

BKN said:
Actually, It is part of Texas, so are the best parts of Colorado. All stolen from us when the Republic joined the US! :mad:

I think you a made a typo there. It should read:

when the Republic joined us!

Take care,
Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
San_Juan_Sun said:
There's a joke told by those of us from the Land of Enchantment explaining why New mexico is so dry, but I just might want to work for BKN one day, so I'll keep it to myself. ;)

Oh, come on now! Where's the sport in that?

Tell, tell....

Take care,
Jeff

PS, speaking of dry places, I seem to remember mentioning the lack of beaches to BKN. I believe he pointed out that El Paso has plenty of beaches. It's just the oceans it lacks.

Ahh interesting. I am wondering if anyone has anything constructive to say about Arizona!

EctopicFetus said:
Ahh interesting. I am wondering if anyone has anything constructive to say about Arizona!

That's a pretty cool (figuratively speaking, of course) also. I just haven't been there in awhile. I do have a new wide angle lens I'd love to take out there, though.

Take care,
Jeff

Snacker said:
Just wanted to get people's thoughts regarding Arizona vs. New Mexico.

My Opinions:

US: edge Arizona
Faculty: edge New Mexico
Facilities: edge New Mexico (new ED done one year from now)
Residents: loved both
Trauma: edge New Mexico
Schedule: Edge new Mexico (PGY-3, work 15 shifts/month)
Off Service: edge Arizona

I interviewed at many places where it is competitive to get an interview (Maricopa, UCLA Harbor, UC Davis, Hennepin, Indiana, Pittsburgh, NM, AZ, OHSU etc) and ended up ranking Arizona # 1 and UNM # 3. I would do the same again. Using your list of important attributes I will tell you why.

Location: Tucson is better than Albuquerque because it is easier to get into the mountains because Tucson is surrounded by them. The weather is generally nicer. It is much closer to large cities such as Phoenix, LA, or San Diego and not nearly as isolated as Albuquerque. Monsoon season is a thing to behold. The down side to Tucson is that due to housing market increases it is probably cheaper to buy in Albuquerque than in Tucson. As far as the location thing goes, my wife summed it up best when she said, "I'd prefer not to live in Albuquerque."

Reputation: Probably even. Reputation is always hard to gauge. Tucson has been around a bit longer I believe and so has more grads out there. Very helpful in getting competitive jobs in the West.

US: Edge definitely Arizona. You will learn ultrasound here, whether you want to or not.

Faculty: I can't believe you gave the edge to UNM. Peter Rosen himself gave me a free copy of the new rosen's last month. Harvey Meislin was in the first class of the second oldest program in the country. Sam Keim has been the head honcho of the council of residency directors. We have three RDMS certified faculty. John Sakles teaches national airway management courses. Frank Walter teaches international toxicology courses. We also have lots of new young, fresh blood. Don't get me wrong, I liked the guys at New Mexico too, but I don't think the two programs are anywhere near even in this regard.

Facilities: As of 3 years ago, AZ was 3 times better than UNM. UNM didn't even have electronic x-ray capability. Things may have changed. Both facilities have broken ground on a new ED, but UNM's will probably be finished first. The rest of UNM hospital is still a county hospital though.

Residents: Also loved both.

Trauma: Not sure what you're looking for. Personally, I can't imagine getting more trauma training than I've gotten at Arizona. To get anything more I'd have to take away from learning about something else. I think 4000 traumas a year is sufficient. Not sure how many UNM gets, but as I recall it was less.

Schedule: Arizona works 22 9 hour shifts as an intern, 21 as a junior, and 20 as a senior (chiefs work 17). They are true 9 hour shifts and your replacement comes on at 8 hours, so you have 1-1.5 hours built into the end of your shift to clean up. There is an excellent sign out culture. You do a total of 6.5 months of call, 3.5 in your first year, and 1 in your third year. I'm not sure how long UNM shifts are, but 15 shifts a month is still painful if they're twelves. We also get a full month of vacation, which I have stretched into 40 days this year. UNM gets 3 weeks. I dunno, I thought schedule was a big strength for Arizona.

Off-service: I can't recall anything about UNM's off service rotations. I do recall this being one of the most difficult areas to evaluate as an applicant.

Pay and Benefits: Definitely edge Arizona. There is a bit more money floating around here than at UNM. That actually does affect your education.

Good luck with your decision. You won't go wrong at either place.

Jeff698 said:
I think you a made a typo there. It should read:

when the Republic joined us!

Take care,
Jeff
my bad :laugh:

Desperado said:
I interviewed at many places where it is competitive to get an interview (Maricopa, UCLA Harbor, UC Davis, Hennepin, Indiana, Pittsburgh, NM, AZ, OHSU etc) and ended up ranking Arizona # 1 and UNM # 3. I would do the same again. Using your list of important attributes I will tell you why.

Location: Tucson is better than Albuquerque because it is easier to get into the mountains because Tucson is surrounded by them. The weather is generally nicer. It is much closer to large cities such as Phoenix, LA, or San Diego and not nearly as isolated as Albuquerque. Monsoon season is a thing to behold. The down side to Tucson is that due to housing market increases it is probably cheaper to buy in Albuquerque than in Tucson. As far as the location thing goes, my wife summed it up best when she said, "I'd prefer not to live in Albuquerque."

Reputation: Probably even. Reputation is always hard to gauge. Tucson has been around a bit longer I believe and so has more grads out there. Very helpful in getting competitive jobs in the West.

US: Edge definitely Arizona. You will learn ultrasound here, whether you want to or not.

Faculty: I can't believe you gave the edge to UNM. Peter Rosen himself gave me a free copy of the new rosen's last month. Harvey Meislin was in the first class of the second oldest program in the country. Sam Keim has been the head honcho of the council of residency directors. We have three RDMS certified faculty. John Sakles teaches national airway management courses. Frank Walter teaches international toxicology courses. We also have lots of new young, fresh blood. Don't get me wrong, I liked the guys at New Mexico too, but I don't think the two programs are anywhere near even in this regard.

Facilities: As of 3 years ago, AZ was 3 times better than UNM. UNM didn't even have electronic x-ray capability. Things may have changed. Both facilities have broken ground on a new ED, but UNM's will probably be finished first. The rest of UNM hospital is still a county hospital though.

Residents: Also loved both.

Trauma: Not sure what you're looking for. Personally, I can't imagine getting more trauma training than I've gotten at Arizona. To get anything more I'd have to take away from learning about something else. I think 4000 traumas a year is sufficient. Not sure how many UNM gets, but as I recall it was less.

Schedule: Arizona works 22 9 hour shifts as an intern, 21 as a junior, and 20 as a senior (chiefs work 17). They are true 9 hour shifts and your replacement comes on at 8 hours, so you have 1-1.5 hours built into the end of your shift to clean up. There is an excellent sign out culture. You do a total of 6.5 months of call, 3.5 in your first year, and 1 in your third year. I'm not sure how long UNM shifts are, but 15 shifts a month is still painful if they're twelves. We also get a full month of vacation, which I have stretched into 40 days this year. UNM gets 3 weeks. I dunno, I thought schedule was a big strength for Arizona.

Off-service: I can't recall anything about UNM's off service rotations. I do recall this being one of the most difficult areas to evaluate as an applicant.

Pay and Benefits: Definitely edge Arizona. There is a bit more money floating around here than at UNM. That actually does affect your education.

Good luck with your decision. You won't go wrong at either place.

Desperado, I think you're stretching it a bit on a few points...

Location: Climate is MUCH better in Albuquerque- you have great weather year round (60's in the winter time), plus you don't have the 105 degree summer times. BOTH Tucson and Albuquerque are pretty run down, but as you said, Albuquerque is more affordable, at least putting you in a nice neighborhood. Also, Mt Lemon is great in Tucson, but people who've been in both prefer the Albuquerbue mountains in a heartbeat.

Faculty: You mention Peter Rosen, but remember that A: He doesn't step foot in the ED in Tucson, and 2) he's there for only 1/3 of the year. The others you mention, however, are awesome. I think I'd give the edge to you for sure.

Facilities: I agree, NM is worse RIGHT NOW, but for those of us applying this year, their new ED will be complete during Intern year in time for 90% of our ED months. At Tucson, the plans are still being drawn up and they HOPE that it will be finished during what will be our 3rd year.

Schedule: At NM, those are 15 10-hour shifts per month (true 10 hour shifts). Not bad at all. I would rather trade that schedule for 1 wk of vacation any day

So Snacker have you made your decision? Sounds like NM to me..

I will say one thing about Rosen.. While he may or may not set foot in the ED it is great to have him around for the lectures. When I was there on my interview day he helped provide perspective to much of what is going on. He isnt the type of guy that just sits back there and listens he is quite active. Def the faculty are TOP notch!

Fifteen 10s is a good deal. I can see why that would sway you on schedule. Points on Rosen are true. But hey, some Rosen>no Rosen, no? I disagree on the mountains, but hey, if you like Sandia Peak better than Lemmon, more power to you. Personnaly, I prefer the Tetons, Wasatch, Sierras, and Olympics to both of them, but hey, since there are only a few programs near mountains, a true mountain lover can't be all that picky. Albuquerque is more affordable after the recent boom in Tucson, but still, as far as cost of living, Tucson is much closer to Albuquerque than Tucson is to LA. Plus Tucson rent is the CHEAPEST in the Southwest in a recent poll. But you can probably buy for less in NM. Like I said, you won't go wrong at either place. Judging by your "spirited defense" it sounds like you've made your decision. Of course, chances are good it doesn't matter which one you rank first, since it is quite possible you won't be high enough on BOTH lists to match there, even if you ranked it 1. Gotta love the match. Good luck.

does anyone else have comments about these two programs?

Peter Rosen himself gave me a free copy of the new rosen's last month.

No comment about the programs but I would like to say that if Dr. Rosen has any more free copies of the new edition laying around, I'd be happy to take one. :laugh: