Univ of chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mumble

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,Has anybody any idea abt Uni of chicago neurology program.I interviewed there n liked it but I have heard that the faculty is very malignant esp towards IMGs.has anybody any idea abt the program in general and for someone going for a stroke fellowship later.Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Really? I thought U chicago had a number of IMGs. Would love to hear more about this too...I posted my thoughts on U chicago on the the other thread...

Hi buckley,

I personally liked it a lot when i interviewed there but then I talked to other people who interviewed this year and thats what they told me. maybe its just a rumour. I hope so..I guess I will still rank it very high.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Quoting myself---U Chicago was pretty awesome too. The PD also seemed nice. I did get "interrogated" by one faculty, but I think she was the same with all other applicants. I liked how everything was in just one place. I know diversity is good in residency but there is also a sense of comfort knowing you have to navigate just one environment. I'm a little scared of their "front-loaded" program but I think it may be a huge advantage if you're applying for fellowship later on.

I am ranking U Chicago and I think all the applicants I was with would probably do the same. I think I could be happy there. I guess every place has its rumours (although I did hear that interviews at U of C got so bad one time thatthey went unmatched...)and I certainly dont expect residency to be a walk in the park. I am a little scared of Hyde park though with the rumors that I hear about a PhD student getting shot and that stuff.
Good luck to us with the match!:luck:

It's possible that a good bit of that bad reputation came from the year I matched, 2005 (at a different program). Their interview process was VERY confrontational that year from what I heard, and in the end they only matched ONE applicant through the Match, which was extremely embarrassing. I assume they scrambled in several applicants. The Chair of the Department left/?stepped down shortly thereafter. They now have a complete rock star as Chair, Chris Gomez (Movement Disorders) whom I've had the absolute pleasure to work with. I know nothing more than that...